- advertisement -

Diaversary Ideas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaBear, Jun 6, 2011.

1. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

We do celebrate my DD's yearly anniversary. We have a special family meal and do all we can to focus on how proud we are of her for making good choices and being so resilient for another year. We try to not make it all about the hard work of living for a year as a child with D. Instead, we try to congratulate her on all that she has accomplished over the past twelve months.

We don't go on a trip to celebrate, but I understand you wanting to make your son's day special. I can also appreciate you not wanting to travel on a sparsely populated road especially if you have had a negative experience there.

Best of luck making your son's day special. Don't forget to celebrate all that you have done as a parent over the last twelve months. The mere fact that you are so carefully considering this decision merits a self pat on the back!

2. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Thank you.

3. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Do you have a Chuckie Cheese nearby ?? Or something like that ?

We have in the past 3 anniversaries went to Chuckie Cheese...let him have some tokens (and his brother) and then we go shopping or whatever afterwards. We have to drive 2 hours to the nearest Chucky Cheese...and 2 1/2 hours to the nearest amusement park (Holiday World in Indiana).

I hope you find a way to celebrate and have fun. Celebrate life and the things he/your family have overcome and learned. :)

4. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Mamabear, I cannot drive at night either, old eyes are going out. Maybe a plan of something that is really special to him. A favorite childhood memory was one night my Mom surprised me with the new record from my favorite musician and my favorite dinner- sounds silly I know but it was just what I wanted more than anything at the time!! I still tell my kids about it ! (The record was Station to Station by David Bowie - boy am I aging myself, and the dinner was Shrimp Creole) Stuff does not have to cost a lot to be special- it just as to be sprinkled with lots of love, and mean something to the person you love!

5. MamaBear

Well we found a place, 40 minute drive, go-karts, mini golf, bumper boats, lazer tag, and video arcade. I think that'll do. :)

I also found out this week that his diagnoses day was the day before I thought it was. I'm still paying off the hospital and asked why they are billing me for the day before he was diagnosed, and I was snotty about it. Then I found the wrist bands from the first hospital, and what do ya know :eek::eek:. Ooops. In my defense I had not slept already for a few days before we went in, and when we got to the first hospital it was dark, and when the ambulance got us to the 2nd hospital, the sun had come up, so I was mixed up to say the least. So much for never forgetting the day huh? :eek::eek: :cwds:

6. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Not sure I want a d=anniversary

I have read several times where people posted a d-anniversary and doing something special with d child. However, I just have mixed feelings about celebrating a day that has bad memories.

What are your thoughts - for those of you that celebrate these?

How do you get past the celebrating of a sad day?

7. MamaBear

You know I posted in someone else's thread awhile back that when I presented the idea to my son, he looked at me as though I had 3 heads. I explained to him that some people celebrate as a way to congratulate the D child and the family on a job well done getting through and dealing with all of the D stuff. So decided to leave it up to him, and he has decided he does want to do something to mark how far we have come. I personally am a wreck right now and could honestly do without marking the day, but trying to hold it together for him. He wants to do this so we will. But as I try to teach my kids when it comes to any subject, everyone is different. If someone chooses not to mark the day, I think that's perfectly fine.

8. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

J is all for celebrating any day he can as a special day for him. We were supposed to celebrate June 19th as the day he started pumping, but forgot. :cwds:

That's ok, though, because for the first 7 months or so, we did something special on the 4th of every month (He was dx Jan 4) and after he started pumping we added another special day on the 19th of the month! ;)

These were little celebrations, things like going out for a meal, or having a cake or something. But he loved having the extra attention and that first year I was quite happy to comply since I kept thinking about how we could have lost him. What was a bit of money to do something special a couple of times a month compared to that?

We are over that, though :) We celebrated Jan 4th of this year, but haven't celebrated anything else since.