- advertisement -

Diaversary - how did you acknowledge?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, Feb 5, 2015.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

My son's one year anniversary of diagnosis is coming up in about a month. I am thinking about how I want to acknowledge this. My husband thinks we shouldn't make anything of it, but I feel we should celebrate our year of hard work! I told my son he could choose what he wants to do - anything from favorite meal to a small gift - and I made it clear we were not celebrating the anniversary but celebrating his bravery and a year of "kicking diabetes' butt".

What did you do? What felt good for your family?

I saw this coin online and was thinking I could get it engraved with something simple like "we are proud of you" and a star. He's a sentimental boy, keeps cards and drawings from his friends, mementos from trips, I think he might really like it. http://www.thingsremembered.com/pro...Coin/groupId/99/pc/101/c/0/sc/2787/164436.uts

Would love to hear how others have marked - or not - this special day.

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

DS didn't want to remember/celebrate/even think about that day at all so that's what we did.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Good for you for following his lead. I told my DH if our son doesn't want to acknowledge, he had better do something nice for ME! :) (He's a great partner and does half of BG tests, site changes, food calc etc. but I work from home and am the more analytical one so do most of the school visits, doctor appts, pump programming and overall decision making)

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When Maddie discharged from the hospital (she was 4) she was shown a closet full of NIB toys and allowed to select one. It was a really nice end to a miserable type 1 dx weekend. The first anniversary we took a bunch of new toys back to the hospital to donate to the closet. It was a nice little milestone moment for us. In subsequent years we'd have a special dessert (we rarely have dessert) or let her pick a place to go out for dinner. By about year 8 or 9 we'd begin to slip up and miss the date or remember the next day. It's no longer something we mark, but when we felt the need we did something, then when we didn't we didn't. I think anything that feels right likely is. :wink:

5. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

My son had zero interest in celebrating/acknowledging an anniversary, nor did my wife or I. It was just another day for us.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Oh, I LOVE the idea of replenishing the toy closet. That is a great one!

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We too made a donation to the hospital on her first year mark. We usually just let her pick the dinner.
    When she was younger, she used to have a party on her "pumpaversary." Now, almost 10 years in we tend to forget (well, I never will, but she forgets) and it's a oh ya, you know what today is?

8. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS's anniversary is March 17, St. Patrick's Day. I was a helper in his kindergarten class five years ago for a St. Patrick's Day celebration when I got the call from his pediatrician to get to the ER. Right after the party (and consuming 2 green frosted cupcakes) he got started on insulin. Sooo.....we 'celebrate' every year by having a McDonald's Shamrock Shake.

It's certainly a personal decision.

9. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Lisa! Ours was 3/17 too! But 2014.

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Update: our hospital has an Amazon wish list! I am going to do this even if DS doesn't want to. Thanks for the great idea.

11. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

What a great idea!

We've marked the last two anniversaries with dinner out as a celebration. Last year at age 4, our daughter was utterly baffled as to what we were celebrating, which in our adult minds was two years of hard work and endurance. She doesn't like being told she is brave (though I think she is, and other posters can skip trying to convince me otherwise!), and I'm not sure she really understood the concept of "resilience" when we tried to explain it to her.

With another one coming up soon, we parents might just mark the day among ourselves, and save celebrations for when she's a little older. At least for this age, I like giving back as an alternative to a "celebration."

12. JAZZIEFROG

JAZZIEFROG Approved members

That is sweet! My DD was diagnosed in July 2014. I don't even remember the exact date but I can look it up lol. I was thinking about getting her a charm for her bracelet symbolizing strength, faith, hope or something along those lines. She has been so brave throughout.

13. JAZZIEFROG

JAZZIEFROG Approved members

There you have it my signature states the exact date of diag. :p

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm glad it resonated with you. I know it was fun for little Maddie to be donating the toys rather than needing to receive one. Very cool that they have a wish list too. Congratulations on making it through the hardest year. :smile:

15. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Like most families here, we took cue from our T1D child to decided if we should celebrate or not. My T1D child is up for a celebration of anything, especially if it is in her honor. So, we went all out for her.

We went to her favorite steakhouse in town, even arranged a special gluten free dessert for her like a birthday. I then hosted a special party for her and her friends (we didn't tell people that it was a diaversary party, just a party). And I went to this store called Things Remembered, and got her a special cup engraved with her diaversary date. She loved it.

Diaversary1.jpg

Diaversary2.jpg

16. dshull

dshull Approved members

My son loves LEGO, and he got probably 10 sets as gifts while he was in the hospital. Any doctor who came in had to spend five minutes listening to him describe his LEGO sets before he'd listen to them. :)

So for his first diaversary, we put together 30 gift bags with LEGO sets for the floor where he had been admitted. We wrote a note from him and from us for the parents of newly diagnosed kids. Our daughter (non-D) helped with the project, so she suggested that child life give them to visiting brothers and sisters of newly diagnosed kids as well. The hospital made a big deal of him delivering the sets and put him in their newsletter. We got an email the next day that they had given two bags to a newly diagnosed little boy and his sister. It was awesome and now writing this I'm wondering why we don't do this every year.

This past year we did something, but honest to God I can't remember what it was!

17. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

One year we had a cake in the shape of her pump. Some years D has gotten presents. Lately we've defaulted to diabetes gets to pick dinner. D loves carbs.

18. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed on 01/24/2014, the day she turned 11.5 years old. We just celebrated her 1-year Diaversary on January 24. I had planned on making a cake for her, but as usual, time did not permit. So we got a "store-bought" cake from Safeway and she scraped off the mostly white frosting (which I ate; I know--gross!), refrosted it with cream cheese frosting she tinted blood red, and topped it off with a realistic-looking pancreas she made from fondant. She had 3 close friends from Winter Guard over for a party (one of whom has 3 sibs with T1D!) and they gave her little presents. We all sang "Happy Diaversary to You." A good time was had by all, despite my stomach ache from eating all the scraped-off frosting.

19. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We dropped off the tell-tale urine sample at the doctor's office en route to doing a bunch of errands, culminating in getting our Christmas tree. I had promised K that if he would just be patient in the car I would get him a lollipop at the bank when we went in. Needless to say, we did not pause for lollipops on the way to ER, much to his disappointment (and my despair--I thought he'd never be able to eat sugar again!), and the Christmas tree had to wait another week.

As a result, we have made a tradition of getting our Christmas tree on his diaversary and picking up a lollipop on the way home. It's our way to stick it to diabetes!

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son was a teen when diagnosed, so frankly he's always thought it was a bit odd that I even KNEW the date. But of course the date is seared into my memory.

5 years. TODAY!

I sent him a text that basically said "go eat ice cream, it's been 5 years. So blessed to have insulin!". He's not replied! Me, I personally do spend some time in reflection, for me it is a somewhat special day, but I celebrate it very personally with prayer and introspection.

I say do what feels good, go out to dinner, throw a party, ignore it, there is no right or wrong, only what feels right to you.