- advertisement -

Diapers/pull ups that don't leak -HELP

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shekov, May 28, 2010.

1. shekov

shekov Approved members

My dd is 5 and weighs 44 pounds.

I just switched from regular size 6 diapers to Huggies Overnights and she still leaks through when she's high at night.

Suggestions?? Maybe something that will keep me from stripping and making beds daily? And that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I don't want to wake her up and take her to the bathroom at night since I feel like I disturb her sleep enough with the night time testing.

I know there was a thread about this within the last year but I can't find anything when I search.

2. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Huggies always leaked for us. The only ones that don't leak IMO are the Pampers cruisers.

Oh, I feel for you, it's so not fun changing the beds in the middle of the night...

3. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

would it maybe work to stick a maxi pad of some type in the pull up? It might hold more then the pull ups do. Since those are more for cant quite make it to the potty during the day things. Or maybe the small depends, get the generic walmart ones they are plan white.

4. nikichickee

nikichickee Approved members

have you considered cloth? You can adjust to the absorbancy you need and will only be washing a diaper as opposed to a load of sheets. Obviously affordable as well :)

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

A five year just produces too much urine to catch it all in a pull up. My husband got my son up from about 5 until he was 9 once each night until the trigger that keeps the urine in all night kicks in.

My son barely woke up while he was walked to the bathroom.

6. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

One of my kids always soaked through his diapers and we used Diaper Doublers to fairly good success. It's like a big maxi pad without the wings. :rolleyes: Of course, that was years ago and they might not be around anymore, but its worth a look.

7. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

Pampers always worked for us. We used cruisers for the first two years but then both kids' thighs got a little to snug so we went with the baby dry and they worked very well too. We never liked Huggies.

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

I think I tried these Huggies before with NO success but i couldn't remember.

I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks for your help!

9. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

We use Good Nights with my daughter. She just turned 8. They seem to hold much more than the little kid overnight pull-ups (my 4-year-old wears those, but usually wakes up dry). There are rare nights that she still wets through the Good Nights, but usually only if her blood sugar's running really high.

Good luck,
    Kelly

10. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

have you talked to a dr about how she still isn't dry at night?? They will often prescribe DDAVP at age 5, what the drug is is a hormone that the rest of us normally have an increase of at night that concentrates the urine.

As for diapers, I think its just individual, we use Huggies and no luck with pampers

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son's pediatrician would not prescribe this as he stated this drug has an effect on the kidneys and a Type 1 has enough potential kidney problems. We couldn't afford the bigger pullups -- those suckers are expensive!

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The only thing that works for Kaylee are under Jams.. she's 53lbs and wears the s/m..

13. Flutterby

Kaylee went to a urologist a two weeks ago for this very problem.. I wanted to make sure she didn't have a bladder issue (small bladder, runs in the family..) they ran a bunch of tests and said, nope, bladder fine.. its D causing these issues, she'll eventually outgrow it.. should wouldn't prescribe anything right now.. she said they have to be at least 8 years old and in 'good' control.. she had one teenager in there with an average bg in the 400s.. he wanted meds to help the nighttime issues and she said absolutely no way.. with that along with the meds can cause the bladder to actually burst (I don't know how..) and that it DOES effect the kidney's.. even if the urologist WANTED to prescribe something for Kaylee, I wouldn't have let her have it, and her endo probably would have flipped her lid (she doesn't even want her taking motrin.).. My main reason for going to the urologist was to make sure there wasn't a physical problem..

14. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

See if a store around you (I know Toys R Us and Babies R Us carry them, and I've heard some Krogers do.) has Fisher Price Happy Nights diapers. They are awesome! My non-D daughter pees like a D right before diagnosis. She has leaked through every diaper and pull up we've ever tried, except for these. You can get a pack of 14 for $5.99 and they are worth every single penny!

15. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

My DD has the same problem. We use Good nights. They absorb more pee and there is no leaking.

16. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

I forgot to mention, Good Nites are flex spending account eligable. My oldest still wets the bed (is taking DDAVP, which is not working) so I've started buying her these now since we can claim it. Before, I just bought regular pull ups and hoped they would hold it all, but sometimes they didn't. With the Good Nites I don't have to worry about leaks, they hold it all no problem.

17. Flutterby

Every month when I pick up Kaylee's prescription there are a TON of good nights with prescription labels on them.. I was wondering how someone would get them covered.. that must be why.. I've never seen any other brand but the goodnights.. I wonder why its just those.. maybe because of the weight (for older kids..).. Kaylee doesn't like goodnights, they are to cardboard like she says, but will use them when I can't find her favorites; underjams.

18. timsma

timsma Approved members

Rather than continue to pay the cost of any pullups, have you concidered using the PottyPager? Just get it online at pottypager.com. It's an awesome device that they put in their underwear and it vibrates to alert them that they are wetting. I used it on both my son with D and my other one without and one was cured of bedwetting within the week, the other about 3 weeks later. I can't say enough about this product! No, I don't have any shares of stock or ownership in it,,,,,,,,just tried it on advice of a friend and it worked. Asked our endo about it and she said she has heard nothing but praise for it too. Why they only sell it online is beyond me. Try it,,,,,,,I'm sure you won't regret it and the confidence and life it gives back to our kids is priceless!

19. shekov

shekov Approved members

Thanks for your replies.

I have no desire to put dd on any meds.

I don't think there is anything medical going on (other than D) since she will often wake up dry. It's when her bgs are higher that she tends to wet.

20. timsma

timsma Approved members

I used to be able to tell about what my sons blood sugars were in the morning based on how heavy the pullup was. I had no desire for meds either. He was never normally dry though (nor was his brother, nonD) and the potty pager worked miracles for both of them.