- advertisement -

Diagnosis Stories

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jeff, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Your son sounds very familiar to our situation. Except we never had a hospital stay nor a time of continual monitoring to see how her numbers run for a period of time. I think it would be interesting to see what we might be missing. But we do have extreme lows in the morning. Yesterday we were told it was because she is on to much lantus. We lowered it and now she is running in the 150s today. It is so hard to judge this. Was he diagnosed in the end with type 1 or 2 though? I am asking because so many people who know the disease say my daughter is more like a type 1 who is honeymooning than a type 2.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

IF you are referring to my son, Type 1.

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Yes I was asking about your son. Sorry I was not clear.

4. VinceysMom

Was your child diagnosed in early stages as well? We truly tried to stop this from happening (as if we could)...and it broke my heart to not be able to stop it. We are almost three months into it, numbers are fairly decent, but sometimes they are all over the place, never higher than like 220. We are trying to maintain good control, but we have been told that puberty plays havoc on glucose numbers... We've been lucky so far that he can feel his lows even when he is in the 70's he knows. We had one 50 and that was shortly after our return home from the hospital... inside i was all panicing, but outside i tried to stay as cool as a cucumber...juice and crackers and we were back to normal! This was about 4 am, and he woke up and told me, "mom you dont even have to check, i know i'm low" but of course we checked...and he was starving!!! lol at 4 am he wanted waffles. Best of luck to you. How is your little one doing? How are YOU doing?

5. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

The sleeping situation hasn't gotten better yet :( They changed his Levemir on Monday. I got up 2 am Tues, Wed, and then Wed night 11:30 began getting sick as a dog every hour on the hour!! :eek: DH checked him at 2 am Thursday morning. I called it in Thursday afternoon, they changed it again and started the 2 am checks all over again! At least I did sleep most of the day Thursday and a lot of Friday after being so sick.

6. VinceysMom

Oh, my gosh you poor thing!! Sick!? Hope you feel better soon! Most nights, I still end up falling asleep in my son's bed... Whenever there is a change in his insulin, I am up at 3 am as well..that's our new life. I went thru all the grieving steps, and then one day, I woke up and accepted our new life...for some reason, it was just really hard for me. It will get better for you, but I know how difficult it is. Stay strong! You CAN do it!

7. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

He got it last night but thank God he only threw up once! One episode of diaharia (sp) and he's sleeping now. I've gotten him to drink some juice and his numbers are ok now. He had pizza for supper and after he ate he went low which usually doesn't happen with pizza for him. I had to treat him 4 or 5 times in a row! Never had to do it more than twice before. I think he just quit digesting the food prior to throwing it up. So I was up all night long again - we finally got some sleep around 3 am, I think. He's still sleeping and I'm about to test him again.

I know what you mean about acceptance. I understood what he has and what it means right off the bat in the hospital, but even now, three months later, I still sometimes find myself feeling how weird it is to have to test his sugar and give him injections. How fast life can change. :(

8. ruegerja

ruegerja New Member

Diagnosis Story

I was had constant thirst and urination for about 2 or 3 weeks. It was opening day in Cincinnati in 2006 and I went to the game. G.W. Bush threw out the first pitch while I was trying to make it to the bathroom. I must of drank 5 sodas there and when I got home I started to throw up. I didn't stop until my mom rushed home from work and took me to the hospital. In the emergency room my Blood Sugar was 1022! No lie.

9. VinceysMom

Oh my goodness, 1022?! You poor thing! Hope you are doing well!

10. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Thank You

I would just like to say a big "Thank You!!" to everyone who posted their stories here about their child's diagnosis. My 10 year old daughter had been feeling icky for aba few weeks now, and lost some weight, and then Friday night she wet the bed, something she hasn't done in years. Saturday and Sunday were spent complaining of tummy aches and drinking everything that wasn't nailed down. Last night, when she'd gone to the bathroom for the sixth time in an hour and a half, I got on the computer, found this forum and your stories convinced me to get my daughter to the hospital immediately.

When they checked her blood sugar it was 685 and she had ketones in her urine. After some follow-up blood work, they confirmed the diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes this morning, and we are now at a hospital an hour from our home, and her blood sugar is down to 367 at last check.

I am scared and overwhelmed, but already so very grateful for this board...

11. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Well my daughter was dxd when she was 16 months old (now 20 months).

She was thirsty all the time, asking for water, and water, we thought it was normal, then she started wetting her bed, almost every night, and well we thought it was because of the water she was drinking, also we noticed some weight lost, but not big deal, we couldn't tell for sure and maybe she was growing or something. We took her to the pediatric appointment, regular check up and some shots she needed. We told the doctor the symptoms I explained before, he said THAT IS NORMAL, without even looking at the child or paying too much attention to what we were saying, it was the first time with this doc. She got 5 shots that day , this was on a Thursday, Friday she was not that bad, but Saturday she was kind of down, but we thought it was the shots sometimes it can cause fever etc. On Sunday morning we were setting everything to take her to my MIL house, she babysits, me and my wife we both work on Sundays. But she was not feeling well we could tell, very lethargic, wanted to be hold, and almost falling asleep, in the car we noticed her face and her breathing, very rapid breathing and her face was like a corpse, caved in eyes, lost look in her eyes, she was not herself at all. My wife started crying saying "that is not her, that is not our daughter" , there's got to be something wrong. After talking to MIL we decided to go to the pediatric clinic, as soon as we got there she threw up twice. they took a blood sample and were waiting for a urine sample. The doctor (this was another doctor) listened to all the symptoms again, and left, then she came back, saying we needed to go to the ER ASAP, in the next 30 min, cause the baby's sugar was high, she was 400 That was the last thing we had in our minds, went racing to the ER thinking maybe there is something else, not diabetes, but they confirm it and it was the worst day of our life. She was on the PICU with DKA a day and 4 more days learning everything, she was in bad shape. We starting blaming the doctor, the shots, everything. Trying to find a why but it never came. I hope it gets better with time, the same for all of us dealing with this thing.

12. TZel

TZel New Member

Our story

Our daughter M was just three, just getting over the terrible twos, when I started to see a bit of a "personality" coming back. I thought, what am I doing wrong? She had had the flu in December, and by January 15th or so, I noticed that she had become very thirsty, and hungry (constantly asking to eat, I could not keep up with her appetite!), and going to the bathroom every hour or so like clockwork. I was on a diet which required me to drink a lot of water, so I thought that she wanted to follow my example, and thus the excessive drinking. Within the space of about a week, she went from going every hour, to every half hour, and I decided to take her into the doctor's office... the first thing they did was a urine test, which showed glucose of course, and the doctor did a finger poke, and then she (the Dr.) started crying, and said, M has diabetes. I said, what do we do now? I had no idea. No one in our family has diabetes of any kind. But we had caught it early. We were sent directly to the hospital, and were shown how to do all the pokes, and were sent home with Lantus, and came back the next day for further instruction. It was soo hard, we cried when poking, all three of us, and one day about two weeks later I could not control my tears and asked my husband to take over. I went to my room, but heard a few moments later the patter of little toddler's feet, and here was M at my shoulder, and she asked, mommy why are you crying, and I said, because it makes me so sad to see you feel pain, and this strong little one decided to stop crying when getting pokes for ME! She has been so brave and so understanding. We are in awe.

13. silverqueen06

silverqueen06 New Member

Kenna's story....

Makenna, 11, hadn't been herself for 3-4 weeks..overall tired, headaches..it was the tiredness though that worried me. But we had just moved to Alabama and I thought maybe the heat and humidity was affecting her mor so than the rest of us. And she had lost some weight but again, she's 11 and I just thought puberty and she was losing some baby fat. She was drinking a lot of water but again, it was 90 some degrees every day and we weren't used to that yet. She was still playing sports full on but afterwards would just drop and sleep which was not like her at all. The week she was diagnosed she had been in basketball camp all week and that friday she fell asleep in the morning right before we left for camp. I decided to let her sleep because she was having soccer tryouts that night and all weekend. Around 10am she woke up and was incredibly thirsty. I decided to take her to an urgent care facility, we had just moved to Alabama and didn't have a regular ped. yet. I thought maybe she had mono or somthing like that....diabetes never even entered my mind.
    The doctor did a finger prick to test her level's, just to rule it out he said, and the machine at the office couldn't even read it, it was off the charts he said. That's when he said the D word. They tested for ketones, and had to explain what those were and again off the charts. We were sent to Childrens Hospital in Birmingham and spend 4 days there, getting her levels to somewhat normal and th ketones out of her system. It seemed unreal at the time, a bad dream we would all wake up from.
    It's been 3 weeks since we've been diagnosed now. We have our ups and downs of course though. Just learning all I can about type 1 and how we can all deal with this. Makenna is doing great, has adapted very well overall. She doesn't talk about it much, doesn't seem to want to. I am hoping that will change over time.

Erica
    dd Makenna, 11, dx 6/10, sports fanatic and beautiful
    ds John, 7, crazy sense of humor! LOL
    wife to Jamie, 14 years of bliss

14. justplain

justplain New Member

Grandchild 4, Type I

Find very erratic behavior when blood sugar is high. Intake of sugar in
    everyday life produces an energy boast, however I seek to gain info if the
    increase in blood sugar in a Type I child produces erratic behavior. Thanks:cwds:

15. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

Our story is so fresh, Brooke is 6 years old and was just diagnosed on memorial day of this year, our story starts out alot like I noticed alot of other stories and now has me wondering if there is some sort of connection, but i've read so many of the stories and they start with we were on vacation or just got back from vacation. That is kind of weird. Anyway this is Brookie's story, We had been in Gulf Shores, Al. on vacation and were making the 13 hour drive home all in one day and she needed to stop and pee like every hour (i even got on to her telling her we were not going to be making stops every hour for her to use the bathroom, trust i felt really bad about this a few days later) we finally make it home and she feels ok not great but ok the next day she wakes up feeling yucky like a virus and that is what she looked like no worries really, then the next day she still wasnt any better so we took her to the after hours clinic and the Dr. said yeah looks like a virus just watch her so we took her home the next day I took my son to ball practice and my husband stayed home with our daughter he calls me in a little bit and says Angie I think something is wrong she just told me she cant see me, i told him i would be right home and we would take her to the ER. I get home she cant even walk her breathing is rapid she cant see me real well she cant really even talk to me, ( im scared to death) we get to the hospital they take us right back try to get an iv started on her they had so much trouble getting this done they called her dry. Finally got one in and drew blood, the Dr. comes in and like in an accusing tone told us "well her sugar is high" I say in return no its not she is not a diabetic, he says yes she is so we have this tiff for a minute then i say well what was her # he says 2157 yes over 2 thousand, i fell to the floor my husband was so confused we started to cry then the crazy Dr. realized we had no idea she was a diabetic he apologized and i never saw him again from that point on the ped. Er Dr. came in and took over her case withing the next hour we were signing papers to put her on a helicopter and fly her to little rock childrens hospital i went with her and my husband came home and got our two other kids and drove the 4 hours he got there around 10 that night she was in DKA (which i had no idea what that meant) we were in the PICU for 3 days and then on the floor for another 3 days. It was the scariest day of my life. When the Dr. was going over what to do for low's I said are we ever going to see a low, and she said oh yeah you will and we have she has been as low as 32 since we have been home, but she has a great attitude about it and i am kinda figuring it out little by little she has been running pretty much in the steady 100's for awhile now so i have been excited about that. I know my story was long I hope i didnt bore anyone it was just a life changing day for us and is still very fresh on my mind. Thanks for letting me share.

16. MotivatedMom

MotivatedMom Approved members

Mother's Day Surprise

It was Mother's Day weekend 2009, my daughter Shelby just finished her first JV Soccer season, and was really run down. We just thought it was the stress of the first year of high school, etc.
    We went to Dr.'s because with her getting up at night to go to the bathroom we thought she might have a UTI, but no, 600+ and we were heading to the hospital.
    My grandfather had Type 1 diabetes, but I thought with Shelby being 15 we were 'out of the woods'....well, not!
    The good news? We have enough time to adjust, go through some high's and low's, and establish good habits before college.
    The bad news? We worry about her dealing with a chronic disease that is going to impact her life in every way.
    That's why I'm constantly seeking new ideas, advice, or stories that will help us navigate this journey. Thanks for providing a forum!

17. tiffany

tiffany Approved members

My poor daughter suffered for over a month before we knew. I have pictures of her 3rd bday in June 07 that i can hardly look at. She was so thin and ill. We took her in for shots and a few days later she got a weird rash on her bottom. She had just potty trained except for nights. So the rash was odd to say the least. I took her to the doc for the rash and told him she seemed tired all the time. He said he thought it was a staff infection and gave us antibiotics and ointment. A week later, the rash is worse, she's sleeping all day and when she is awake she's constantly thirsty and peeing. And she's randomly vomitted a few times. I'm scared. Back to the doc, a different one this time. He sees the rash and quickly says that it's a strep infection. Doesn't even bother listening to our other problems. So I take his word for it. So it's now 4th of July weekend. We drive 2 hours to the coast for our annual parade and fireworks show. Just before the parade Jasmine passes out on the couch. I'm so worried about her at this point, I can't stand it. I started shaking her and screaming wake up wake up. Thank God, she did. We went to the parade and got lots of candy. Uugh. The next day we drove home and i called the doctors office. This time I knew something had to be done. I just kept telling the nurse on the line please help me, something is very wrong. She squeezed me right in and we saw the 3rd doctor. Right away he knew what to do with all the symptoms i had explained. The nurse came in for a blood check and when I saw the look in his eyes I knew it wasn't good news. I started crying. All i knew at this point is that she would require shots. Her blood sugar was in the 800's. We went to the hospital for a 3 night stay. She had ketoacidosis. We were so scared and overwhelmed. I also had a new born baby at the time she was 3 months old. Oh and that aweful rash was due to the sugar in her urine.

18. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Ours is very new. My son is 10, and he just got sick totally out of nowhere. On Tuesday July 13 he woke up saying his tummy hurt. Instead having breakfast, he went to lay on the sofa with his pillow and a blanket. He got up to try and run to the bathroom, but vomitted all over the carpet. I layed him back down and put a large pot for him to use right by where he was laying, then proceeded to clean my carpet. He spent most of the day sleeping,vomitted maybe 4 times, never ate. I did all the typical things a parent does when their child is sick. Check his temp, ask about headaches,etc. Nothing, no other symptoms. I thought maybe food poisoning, but when I had that my symptoms were different. Googled food poisoning and saw that it can vary. Made up my mind he must have microwaved the burrito from 2 days before and it was spoiled. I tried to keep him hydrated, and tried children's pepto. Nothing stayed down.He slept the rest of the day. Same exact thing Wednesday. Thursday the vomitting stopped. He actually ate two peices of toast and they stayed down! I thought YAY! Whatever this is has run it's course and is leaving! Until about midnight, the vomitting returned. He was breathing funny. And he was crying and holding his stomach. I got on one of those search your symptoms sites and then decided it was a bad idea and would scare me more. Funny thing I recall of all the possible illnesses that popped up diabetes is the one that caught my eye. But still never had any idea that's what it could be. No family history and I had zero knowlege of diabetes 1 until now...ZERO. I wanted to take him to ER but couldn't decide if I was right to take him or if I was being that mother who over reacts to every little thing. I called one of those 24 hour advice nurses associated with our insurance. She told me that his symptoms sounded like a little flu and I could just wait call his primary care doc the next day. She also advised me to give him a little peppermint candy to calm his stomach. At that point I thought ANYTHING to help his tummy and him, and I gave him peppermint candy. And I kick myself EVERY night since Dx for doing so. :(:mad: I tried very hard to feel reassured by her telling me it could wait. But I couldn't. I stayed up with him rubbing his back until he fell asleep at almost 2. I fell asleep for a little while. My daughter woke me somewhere between 3:30 saying he was crying and holding his tummy. So I thought "nevermind that nurse" (only NOT that polite) and took him to the ER. I left my teen here with the dogs and told her to keep her cell phone handy.
    They knew right away at the ER what was wrong,but don't deal with pediatrics. Got him hooked up to IVs,drew his blood, and called an ambulance to take us to another hospital that has several doctors specializing in pediatric diabetes. I had no idea what was happening other than hearing them say "critical condition". A nurse finally came in and said "did doctor tell you what they are testing for?" :confused::( When I shook my head she told me. I felt so stupid for not having any idea. And terrified. My mind went immediately to all of my family members who have died too young for various reasons, mainly my parents and my cousin's 12 year old son. And all I could think was now I was going to know how she felt when her child died. While in the ambulance I sent a text to my daughter that was short and vague. I wanted to let her know what was happening without scaring her. I just said "they think he may have diabetes." By the time we got to the PICU at the other hospital his BG was over 500 and they thought his brain was swollen. He spent several awful days and nights in PICU not improving. Thankfully a friend in town took my daughter for me, and also took me back to the other hospital to get my car. Not sure what I would have done without her and her husband. I probably won't share alot of personal stuff on here,certain things, but let me just say I have been through more H**L than most people you will meet. And watching my son hooked up to IVs- with 7 bags of insulin,anti-nausea meds,liquid for rehydrating-,electrodes on his chest, monitor on his fingers,and oxygen tubes in his nose,not waking up- the absolute worst thing in the world. I hope to never go through watching my child so close to death. I was told had I waited even until morning like the phone nurse suggested, he would have died. And I still feel stupid and guilty everyday for not knowing what was wrong, and for giving him that peppermint candy. I am taking my daughter to get tested tomorrow. I'd rather not find out if she has it via DKA like I did with my son.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  19. chammond

chammond Approved members

You should not feel stupid or guilty. Our story is very much like yours. When Logan was sick I gave him apple juice because he had not had any fluids for several hours. Just remember that one peppermint candy did not cause him to go into DKA, and you didn't know any better. I know it is difficult not to feel that guilt (I think a lot of us struggle with it at times) but you did nothing wrong. When you noticed there was a problem, you got your child to a doctor, and although it took a while for them to find it, you got there eventually. Good luck, and welcome to CWD:)

ETA-Also remember that now you know the symptoms of diabetes, so I would doubt that your daughter would ever get to that point. Now you know what to look for, and if you see symptoms, check (although after Logan was dx'd everytime my son went to the bathroom or got a drink I would check!). We also had the screening done on our other son, and I think it can be a good idea.

20. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Thank you.