- advertisement -

Diagnosis Stories

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jeff, Feb 18, 2009.

  1. BeerMargaritaMom

    BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

    Jul 11, 2009

    weird when I pasted the letter into CWD forum it changed all my (-), ('), and bullets to question marks. sorry.:eek:
  2. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

    Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

    Aug 18, 2009
    :)I feel pretty lucky after reading the previous dx stories. I can't imagine how scared you all must have been. Our story is, like I said, a lucky one. 2 weeks before Kayla was diagnosed she came down with a cold she caught from her brother. She began drinking a lot and she never was much of a drinker - it would be all I could do to get her to have 1/2 glass of milk with dinner. All of sudden she was having 3 -4 glasses with dinner and then water after. For a few days, I reallly didn't think much of it, just thought she was making up for when she was sick. But after a week, I started to wonder. My dad was T1d and I knew the symptoms, and I also knew my kids would be more likely to get it, I just never believed they actually would. When she started getting up to go to the bathroom several times a night and then she started to complain of tummy aches or "just not feeling right" I called her family dr. At first they didn't have an opening for almost a month but then when they were typing her sypmtoms in the computer to set the appt. I think a bell went off and they said they could get her in sooner. We still waited 3 days, which were filled with "it can't be" and "what else could it be?". My mom, who still lives in Michigan (we moved to SC 2 yrs ago and she's trying to sell her house to move down with us) was the same way. She asked if she had lost weight and I put Kayla on the scale and sure enough she had lost 5 lbs. When Friday came, d-day, it was the day before Valentines and they had a party in her K class. I went to it and I remember thinking "no, there's just no way that's what is going on." And all the way to the drs appt I said the same thing to myself and by the time I got there I had myself convinced I was being paranoid and it was some virus. Of course she gave a urine sample first thing (she thought that was the funniest thing!) and it wasn't anytime at all before the dr came in and said she had sugar in her urine. My heart sank! We then went to the in-office lab and they did blood work, her bs was unreadable on their machine because it was so high. I had no clue what was next, I thought we'd just start on insulin and be on our way, so when the dr said we had to go to the children's hospital I about lost it! On the way home to pack our bags, I called my mom and husband to tell them what was going on. That was the hardest thing to tell my mom that her "pretty precious princess", who was 1000 miles away was going in the hospital. We arrived about 9:30 that night (took awhile for a room to open) and started on the IV (which was no fun!) and the insulin shots. It was such a surreal feeling filling out the hospital forms and going to the room. I just didn't want to accept it. We went home on the following Monday morning. I feel really lucky that I had an idea of what was going on, what was going to happen, I grew up with my dad having shots. Even though a lot has changed since his insulin regimen, the needles, the finger pokes, the highs and even some very scary lows, were not new to me. I really feel for parents that have no diabetes experience and have had to learn all of this through their child for the first time and quickly. We're all adjusting to our new life and Kayla is a brave little trooper. We are so proud of her! She has accepted everything that has to be done. Sometimes she gets sad and wishes she doesn't have d or she get's really mad about having d and rants and raves. I don't blame her at all! She just wants to be normal. We just try and make life not about her diabetes and more about having fun and being a kid.
  3. Snowbound

    Snowbound Approved members

    Jan 14, 2009
    Diagnosed Jan 2008 just prior to his 8th birthday, here's how it went.

    Late Fall: losing baby fat? getting skinny like his older brother

    December: bed wetting, lack of energy

    Christmas trip to visit family: drink, pee, pee, drink. Suspecting diabetes, hoping for something else

    Jan 2nd. Family Dr confirms dx in about 2 minutes.

    Jan 3rd. Endo visit, practice giving injections to an orange.
  4. gboysmom

    gboysmom Approved members

    Jul 20, 2009
    Griffen took a road trip at the end of June, this year, with his aunt to see grandparents in Louisiana. On the 6 hour trip out there they stopped 10 times for him to use the restroom. She told me he drank tons of water and that he told her he was always thirsty. It was hot, so who isn't here in Texas or Louisiana.

    So, I had called the doctor to see what we could do for him. They told us that if it continued to have him see someone there. Thinking a bladder infection or something. Well, I never, in the next two weeks, had my sister in law call me concerning this. So, we let it go.

    They came home on a Monday and I called the doctor that Friday. He was just not right. Super grumpy and began wetting the bed at night. I had talked to my niece that informed me that what Griffen was going thru sounded alot like diabetes. I just froze.

    So, they got us in on Monday morning, drew up blood work, looked over his chart and noticed he had lost 6 pounds over the last few months. That was the thing that got Dr. Lambert going.

    So, bloodwork came back Wed and showed a bg level of 149 from that Monday morning. He ordered an A1C test and that was back by Friday. His numbers were 11.75 and daily average was 310 I think.

    Cook's Childrens hospital called us just after me talking to the doc. They told us to come on in and plan to be there thru Sunday. We did and that's all she wrote on that.

    Looking back, I realized that Griffen had a change in personality. He just wasn't nice. His feet hurt at night and he was hungry all the time.

    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  5. Michelle'sMom

    Michelle'sMom Approved members

    Aug 21, 2009
    It wasn't until I began reading through the posts here at CWD that I realized just how truly blessed we are.

    Michelle's dx was a total fluke. She had been showing signs for several months, but I didn't start really getting worried until after school ended in June. She'd been losing weight, but puberty is knocking at the door & both her older sisters are slim. When she started getting up at night literally guzzling water & going to the bathroom, I think I already knew what we were seeing, sort of. Lots of T2 in the family on both sides. I knew next to nothing about T1, so I was too clueless to even worry about it.

    I had been watching my own BGs for a year while walking every evening & trying to get my weight down, with Michelle by my side most evenings. We finished our after-dinner walk & I tested. She asked if she could too, so I jumped on the chance. First result was 550. Meter must be whacky. Second result read only "HI." Called my MIL who works at the local clinic & told her what was happening. Tested myself again to make sure the meter was working right. Normal. Third test on Michelle was 597.

    Funny how I can remember those numbers, but can't remember my own that night.

    Off to the ER, where they started an IV, then bloodwork, & chest X-ray. When they finally got a BG, it was 621.

    Michelle had been to the ER one time for stitches when she was 2. She had no idea what was going on or why they were poking her with so many needles. She was more afraid that I've ever seen her. The PA that was on duty came in & got in her face, then said "The world as you know it has just ended." No explanation of what was wrong with her, nothing. Just drop that bombshell & watch her terror. We were off to a great start!

    Our dr finally arrived to tell us the dx. He said we were lucky she wasn't in DKA. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, so I just agreed.

    Insulin IV overnight, then nurses coming in asking us if we knew if we were transferring to Lubbock via ambulance or private car. Say what? No one had said anything to us about going anywhere!

    We were very blessed in a lot of ways, one of which was the transfer. The hospital was a whole new world--so positive & encouraging. We began trying to undo the damage from the night before, & we're still working on it, but getting there. We appreciate everything the endo team did for us, for starting us on this journey in a positive way, but after one visit in the office it was clear we were going to have to move on.

    So now, we're searching for a new endo team, having to battle Michelle's school for just about everything, & we're learning so much so fast it makes my head spin.
  6. megawatt

    megawatt New Member

    Oct 26, 2009
    As I sit in the children's hospital

    I am writing this message as I sit next to my child in her hospital bed. I can hardly believe what has transpired in the last 3 days. I keep thinking about how Thursday was the last day of Lorynn's "normal life".

    Lorynn is 9. On Thursday evening, I brought both her and her older sister (Olivia) to the doctor for their routine annual physicals. They also had their flu vaccinations and I was thinking of what I would make for dinner.

    I guess that will be a different story from now on.

    Anyway, we know our pediatrician well and I knew something wasn't quite right when she came in the room. She said Lorynn has sugar in her urine. My exhb (their dad) is a Type-1 D so I knew what that meant. She told me not to worry yet, since Lorynn has NO other symptoms.

    Labs were sent and Friday AM, our ped asked us to go get labwork done when Lorynn came home. We went and she cried HYSTERICALLY about having blood drawn and the needles. Little did we know... =/

    Friday night late, our ped called and confirmed our suspicions, but was still confused by the lack of ANY symptoms and no ketones. She said she was deferring to a ped endo and would call in the morning.

    Yesterday morning, she called at 930 and said to head to a children's hospital a few hours from our home. On arrival, Lorynn's BS was 488 with ketones present.

    And so, it began.

    I am still "in it", learning how to care for my child (though I knew the basics before for my exhb, it's different when it is your child) and how to count carbs for her dosing. It is daunting, terrifying and still somewhat surreal. I am just thankful that we caught it before she experienced some of the terrifying experiences I have heard about, and have seen here.

    I'm Meg, and I am the mom to a wonderful girl who is forever changed, but still here with us...for a long, long time.
  7. Joretta

    Joretta Approved members

    Nov 7, 2009
    Introduction - and just beginning to cope

    She was diagnosed 10 23 09. When I first expressed concerns way back when she eight year old that she was gaining weight even though she played sports and ate healthy, my doctor said oh she will outgrow the weight she has put on just cut back on sweets (they did not believe she did not like sweets). Every year I expressed the same concern and over the next 3 years she put on even more weight, started to crave sweets, and she was getting tired and had broken bones that sidelined her from regular sports - even though she still went outside and played every day. By age 11 she was sleeping more, now preferred staying in, hides candy, and had no energy - I again complained and asked for an appointment to an endo Dr and was granted since she was now about 35 pounds overweight. She was then diagnosed insulin resistant and put on oral medication but not Dx diabetic. Now during the last two years they played around with very slowly putting her on the oral meds. Then this June I put my foot down and said maybe we need to max her out on the oral medication and have her test her BG. They started to say no but then left the room only to return and agreed to raise the meds a little and let her test. However, if things did not improve by the next appointment they would max her out. At this point my child hated being fat could not lose the weight, was hungry all the time, and was giving up. Over the summer though when she was almost maxed out on oral meds and the Dr agreed to start letting her test after meals so she could see the impact of what she ate - she started to lose weight and was getting more energized. Then the Dr called and said she was doing well and could stop testing. Only then school started and so did the peer pressure. Well, at that fall appointment we were told it is to late her a1c was 8.9 and they diagnosed her. She is on Lantus, Humalog and Metformin.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  8. Shely

    Shely Approved members

    Nov 25, 2009
    My daughter Sabrie was 4 years old when she was diagnosed. I feel so bad about this like I should have known or done something sooner to stop it.

    Sabrie was constantly hungry and thirsty which was written off as a growth spurt. Then she started having bed wetting accidents at night we thought ok she has been drinking alot so we would limit her drinking in the evening. Then she started to wet her pants at daycare. I knew something was wrong.

    I called the doctor who sent us to the lab for a urinalysis. I received a call the next day saying that her sugar was a little high in her urine so we had to go the next morning for blood work. I received a call from Sabrie's doctor a few hours after I took her for blood work saying her sugar was still high and that the emergency room was waiting for us but not to panic. THE EMERGENCY ROOM IS WAITING BUT NOT TO PANIC Needless to say I panicked!

    Sabrie's BG was 589 and her AC1 was >14 which I was told was off of their charts but the good news was there weren't any keytones. We spent the next 3 days in the hospital. I cried all night the whole time I was there thinking she was so little and how could this happen. There is no history of diabetes in either my husband's or my family. It is still a struggle but it is now our life.
  9. kileesmama

    kileesmama New Member

    Nov 27, 2009
    Kilee's dx

    We have had kilee tested every year for diabetes for the last 3 years. There is a family history of both type 1 & 2 diabetes on both sides of the family. Each year she came back with normal #'s. Then about 2 weeks ago Kilee started losing weight very quickly, about 15 lbs in 2 weeks. She had a cardio appt on friday because she battled high cholesterol 2 years ago (it has since been corrected)but we still do annual cardio appts to make sure. He did an echo and ordered some blood tests. Since she had already eaten that day we had to wait until monday to have the blood work done. As the weekend went on Kilee was getting increasingly more tired. Then on Sunday morning she went to the movies with a friend and came home and went right to bed. After a couple of hours her dad tried waking her up and she didn't want to get up. She said she was to tired and wanted to go back to bed. Her aunt suggested taking her to a friends house to check her blood sugar. When they did that they found that her blood sugar was 498. Kilee was rushed to the hospital. We spent the next 4 days in peds icu. This is all still very new to all of us and we are all a lil nervous about what is going on. We have so many questions and are kinda feeling a bit overwhelmed. Kilee is not handling the dx very well. She doesnt understand why she had to get it. So its a bit hectic right now.
  10. saffronsmum

    saffronsmum Approved members

    Dec 1, 2009
    I am Sheryl, mum to Saffron now aged 5.
    Saff was born by c-sec and was a healthy baby until around 8 weeks. I am not sure to this day if any of this relates to her developing D but I will tell it how it was....
    The 1st problem was constipation from around 8 weeks old. I changed her formula several times none of which seemed to help matters. She was put on lactulose for months and months.
    We kind of accepted her 2 weekly poo was the best we were going to get and life went on as normal!
    Then she refused to wean at all, she just would not eat anything. We ended up skipping that stage completely and she went from milk exclusively, to the odd finger food.
    She developed asthma when she was 18 months old, had several bad attacks which landed us in hospital on steriods but they wouldn't diagnose as she was 'too young'. When she was 2 1/2 I ended up having to do the cruellest thing, make a dr appt and walk her from our house to the surgery as I KNEW she would have an attack right there in front of a dr. It worked, she got a dignosis there and then and put on inhalors thank god!
    Around Nov 2007 she was constantly drinking, she could down 2 pint glasses off juice without coming up for air! She also drove me insane telling me she was hungry, she would say mummy i'm hungry, i'm hungry over and over again, even when she had food infront of her she would still say it inbetween mouthfulls!!
    By Feb I just 'knew' it was D I went to the dr's and told him I thought it was D and he was fab, I was expecting to be fobbed off, but I had taken a unrine sample with me, he dipped it and we were on childrens ward within the hour.
    Then we were almost sent home as they said she was fine, her BGs normal etc etc we just had to wait for a consultant to discharge her. As we were waiting she hypo'd (I know now that's what it was) she was playing with the toys, went all funny looking, swaying wetc I got her on my knee and she was crying for a drink. I had apple juice with me I gave her it and within 3 or 4 mins she was off playing again. A nurse came over to say she had seen what had just happened and checked her BGs again which had gone up to 25.5
    Dignosis within 1 minute!
    We were in hospital one night and sent home with very little support, training and I kinda felt a little lost!
    She started nursery the Jan after she turned 3 (2007)
  11. runnersmom

    runnersmom Approved members

    Dec 2, 2009
    My daughter was diagnosed this past July at 17 years old. She is a high school distance runner and finished a great spring season in June. Right after school ended she got a cold, she never gets colds. The cold seemed to linger and she complained she just didn't feel right. We went on a Carribbean cruise July 4. She seemed to be drinking and urinating a lot but I attributed it to the tropical heat. Three days after we got back from the cruise she was scheduled to visit a friend in Florida. The night before she left, she was complaining of her mouth being dry but I didn't really associate that with thirst. I told her she was probably not completely over the cold yet. She went to Florida and called me the next day to say she had white bumps in her mouth. Her friend's parents took her to the doctor and she was diagnosed with Tpye 1. She spent 3 days in the hospital in Florida, not a fun vacation for her. Four months have gone by and she just finished a great cross country season. She now has the Animas Ping and loves it. I would love to hear from any other high school athletes and or parents with Type 1, especially issues with college recruitment.
  12. khouryboysmom

    khouryboysmom New Member

    Jan 10, 2010
    Diagnosis Story

    My 4 yr old was dx Jan 5. Symptom was thirst. Fasting bg was 173. Tested 212 @pediatrician. Off to childrens hospital he went. When he arrived his bg was 98. His dad and I were told by the nurse that he probably is okay and doesn't have diabetes. Overnight monitoring of his food intake and the effect it had on his bg, along with a 9.3 (3 mth avg of bg level) were enough for his diabetic doctor to give him a type 1 dx. His stay in the hospital was 4 days. Now that he his home we are still confused. We are constantly treating lows. How is it that he can be type 1 diabetic and we are always treating lows? His humulog has been decreased twice already. He is not on long acting, just humulog. We want to believe that something else is the cause for his elevated bg. It breaks my heart having to prick his little fingers several times a day and to have to give him shots. I have never been more devastated. He is such a sweet little boy. He's handling this much better than I am. He is a trooper!
  13. spamid

    spamid Approved members

    Jul 11, 2006
    I think I have posted this before, but can't find it. The summer of 2005, my then 8 year old daughter was staying with her grandparents in FL for the summer. I came down to visit over July 4th weekend, and watched my DD guzzle down a 20 oz bottle of water in a few seconds. We chalked it off to being in FL, where it was hot, so she was thirsty, etc, etc, etc. Over the next 2 weeks, my mom told me Kathy started wetting the bed, drinking alot, and was strangely tired. We brought her back to Memphis, TN where I then lived on August 1 for a pediatrician appt at 8AM. By 1030AM, we were in the local children's hospital watching the nurses try to find a vein to put the insulin in. Her AIC at diagnosis was 17, our ped endo said he'd never seen one that high.
    That was 4 years, 5 months ago, and I never could have imagined how much our lives would change.
  14. mandy092570

    mandy092570 Approved members

    Jan 13, 2010
    My 5 year old son

    My 5 year old son found out that november 2 that he had type 1 and this is how we found out he had to pee alot we would be in one store and he would pee and few minutes later he had to pee again he is potty trained and never peed on himself at night but he did for about two week straight he wasent gaining any weight and he was grochy all the time so it was Nov 2 2009 i called the dr he said be here at 1 we got there he had to pee so bad he was in tears screaming so we got to dr office the lady at the desk handed me a pee cup and he peed so i knew the dr would want his urine sample so we set the room and the dr came in and asked us about him and we told him that we thought he had a kidney infecting never thinking anything else could be wrong well there were a knock at the door the nurse came in and said there were sugar in his urine so they checked his surger it was 414 the doctor looked at us and said your son had type 1 diabetic i couldent belive i cried he said we needed to travel to knoxville tn to the Children hospital becasue they dont have a doctor in Bluff city Tn so anyway 2-3 hour drive and having to stop alot to pee with Jacob or son well we got down there and stayed with my husband brother that lives down there and the next moring we went to the hospital they drew blood and checked his sugar he had diabetec i prayed all night that night the doctors were wrong but they were right anyway we spend 2-3 days in the hospital learning to give shots take sugar and counting carbs and then me and my husband both had to give shots to our son before they let us go home it was sad for me having to stinck my baby but i know it saving his life he is taking novolog three times a day and lancet at night i felt so depressed i cried i felt like my world had ended i felt sorry for my baby i wish it was me instead of him i could have handled it better i pray for one day that find a cure
  15. Stanca

    Stanca Approved members

    Jan 29, 2010
    Our daughter Lia was diagnosed with type 1 on December 23, 2009. She is 8 yrs old and had been looking a bit run down for a couple of days, suffered from dehydration and frequent urination, but it was the holidays and we had had company in and didn't think much of it. Then she vomited and we took her to her pediatrician, who diagnosed her. Her A1c was 10.3, BS 480. After a couple of days in the hospital we came home. It has been a very difficult adjustment but she is a strong kid and tries very hard to do the right thing. We've always eaten well and so that piece of it has been the easiest. Even with the insulin, she is now giving herself her own shot. I find it very therapeutic to write about this. I hope you all do too.

    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  16. Jessicas mom

    Jessicas mom Approved members

    Jan 21, 2010
    The day that changed our lives

    My daughter had been showing symptoms for about two weeks before her diagnosis. She would become ill to the point I would want to take her to the doctor and then would be fine. The weekend before she was diagnosed I had gone to Cosco and bought two large bottles of Sunny Delight. That Saturday afternoon I happened to be in the kitchen when I noticed Jessica pouring it in to a sports bottle she had put in the sink. Sunday morning both bottles were gone. I just assumed she had attempted to pour it in to the sports bottle and accidently dropped it and it had gone down the sink. Sunday afternoon I took her to Kohls to buy a bathing suit. This is her absolutely favorite thing to do. This year she sat on the floor and just told me to pick something out. I thought maybe she was just hungry so took her and her brother out to eat. She drank about six Sprites and refused to eat. When she got home she went to bed. I figured the following morning I would take her to the doctor but when we got up she was perfectly fine and anxious to go to school. At noon I got a call from the nurse stating that Jessica had been to the cafeteria and told the worker there that her mother had told her she wasn't to eat but only have six milks for lunch. Of course they didn't believe it and called me to question it. While we were on the phone Jessica vomited. I went to the school to pick her up. When I arrived and walked up to the cot she was lying on she looked right through me like she had no idea who I was. I drove to a local urgent care and while filling out the paperwork the nurse came to the lobby with a wheelchair and took her to the emergency room next door. Soon after they examed her a nurse approached me with a meter that read 818 and asked me if I knew what I meant. Not only did I not know what it meant I didn't even know it was a meter. We had no diabetes is our family and I had no idea. Approximately 1/2 hour later Jessica went in to a diabetic coma. She was transferred by ambulance to a hospital that had a pediatric ward where we remained for five days.

    Our diagnosis was May of 2006. We had one more hospital stay about six months after that for flu and dehydration. Jessica was put on a ping about a week ago and is healthy and happy. I was told that when she went on the ping it would be like being diagnosed all over again. Yes it has been scary but not even close to that day that changed our lives in May of 2006.
  17. Leah

    Leah Approved members

    Apr 30, 2009
    My Story...

    I was in Arizona and i was always really thirsty and going to th bathroom alot. When we flew home my mom took me to my doctor. When he tested my blood sugar, it was way to high for the meter, so he sent me right away to The Children's Hostipal Of Pennsylvania. We waited in the waiting room for a couple of hours, and then they took me to the emergency room. They put in an IV, and then told me that my blood sugar was over 500 and that i had type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed January 1, 2007. I stayed at the hospital for 3 days. All my friends came to visit me, and that was really nice. I got 3 60 carb meals, and 1 15 carb snack a day. I was on shots and had to do a blood check every 2 hours. It was hard at first, but now i am on the Onmipod and the Minimed CGMS an things are alot easier now.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  18. kimmcannally

    kimmcannally Approved members

    Feb 28, 2010
    My son had a growth spurt soon after school started August 2009, he got taller and slender (he had been a bit pudgy before that). I wondered at how quickly he lost weight, but chalked it up to the growth spurt. Then I noticed he was eating like a horse, but never put any of the weight back on. And he was drinking and peeing a LOT. Talked to the dr. but they said a drug he had just been put on for stomach pain could cause thirst, which caused the peeing. OK.

    My husband lost his job (plant shut down) so I got DS on a new insurance through the state (thank God!!). It went into effect in January 2010 and I took him in for a "just in case" check-up because I still was wondering about how skinny he was and how much he was drinking. Also, his urine would crystalize when he missed the toilet and hit the floor or wall!

    So three days after new insurance starts, I take him in and he is diagnosed in Dr. office. BG 481, IIRC. They send him to Children's where he spent two nights and we were educated. He was not in DKA, thank God, and seemed to be the healthiest child in the diabetic unit. Everyone else had gown and gloves at their doors, but he was not on those precautions.

    We are still in the learning process - he was just adjusted again last night, which is why I've been up since 2 am. BG 334 at 2 am = mom who can't sleep.
  19. VinceysMom

    VinceysMom Approved members

    Mar 3, 2010
    My sister is Type 1, she has been for 22 years, diagnosed at 21 yrs old. One day in May '09, the nieces and nephews said, "test me, test me." So she did..and here begins my son's story.

    My sister tested the 6 kids, and after a big pasta dinner with bread and the works, all the kids tested in the "normal" range except my son.. he was about 160 at that point and we thought it was because of all the fresh Italian bread...he is a bread kid! Anyhow, we called the pediatrician the following day, she did the simple tests, finger prick and urine, BG was normal, no glucose in the urine. At his well check up physical in July '09, we had him checked again... this time his BG was 175 and theres was glucose in his urine. The next day we were at the lab doing many tests (3 times they couldnt find his veins, imagine how a 13 yr old boy enjoys this... NOT!!) The following day (friday) we were in the pediatric endo's office. They tested him and he was not too high, but higher than normal with the finger prick. They did not have all of the test results back yet. They sent us home with the monitor, and told us to check him many times a day (can't remember the exact amount). In the meantime, we decided to start to watch his diet, make sure we all exercised, this was going to be a family thing, we were going to STOP diabetes from invading our family :cwds: Back to Dr. the following week, A1c at 7.4, but his BG numbers were fairly good. The dr. wanted to start him on Lantus, my heart stopped. But first they needed to find out when he "spiked." They implanted a continuous glucose monitor in him (24/7 for 3 days over 255 readings). After the 3 days, we removed the monitor, sent it in and at that point, the numbers were such that the doctor said, we are NOT going to start any insulin at this point. I was so relieved. We continued to watch his diet, exercise and check his BG several times a day for the next 4 months (in the meantime we changed docs for several reasons). We met our new doc during week 3 of this entire "ordeal" (and yes, it was an ordeal!) We love our new endo and her team! She had us do one further test, and oral glucose test ... his BG was 150, therefore, he was not diabetic. We were instructed to check his BG about 8 times a week, and anytime it went over 200 twice in a row, we were to call her. Well, 12/26 it was up, 337, 250, and he was admitted to the hospital for 4 days.

    In August '09, we changed our "diets" a bit, exercised a lot more, changed our grocery lists (no more juice or high test sodas, junk food, etc). I'm glad that we had those 4 months to "prepare" for the rest of our lives. Before the "official" diagnosis, there was much stress everytime we pricked his finger. We are thankful that he did not get extremely ill, as many children do, and thankful that we caught this on a "fluke." If there was just SOME WAY to stop it from happening during the "pre" stage...we tried. :cwds:
  20. VinceysMom

    VinceysMom Approved members

    Mar 3, 2010
    TO: kimmcannally - mom who can't sleep...

    I often wondered when I would ever be able to sleep again... It's been 2 months since my son's diagnosis, I can finally sleep again, tho very lightly. One night he called out and my husband said I looked like i was going to fly.. i jumped so high off the bed! Here he had a leg cramp! :) When he has lows in the early mornings, say between 4 am and 7 am, we are lucky because he wakes up...and either comes in our room or calls for us.

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice