- advertisement -

Diagnosis Stories

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jeff, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Alexandra was 7 years old when she was diagnosed on June 25, 2008. About a month earlier, she had gotten very sick one weekend -- fever, chills, etc. -- and the doc now thinks that might have been the viral trigger that set her on the D path. That weekend, we were all sick in fact, so guess Alex was just the "lucky" one.

Then about 2 weeks later she wet her bed one night. It was the first time in years and very surprising. After that, every night she was up constantly going to the bathroom and I thought she was just trying to avoid wetting the bed again.

The last week before dx, we noticed she'd come home from school each day and sack out on the couch from exhaustion. She was losing weight, but we only really noticed how much when we could see how bony her spine had become -- you could see that big knot at the top of her shoulders so prominently.

I had looked online and saw that horrible word -- DIABETES -- but I couldn't utter it out loud. My husband would not have accepted my "diagnosis" so we took her to the doctor.

We got there around lunch time and naturally she had to pee. I told the nurse she should ask the doctor if a sample was going to be needed (you see, I just knew). Sure enough, ketones were off the chart and her sugar only read HI on the meter at the doctor's office.

By the time we met with the doctor it was near on 3:00 pm and we had to get back home to pick up the boys from school, so even though the doctor told us to go to the hospital and see yet another doctor, we held off until the next morning. Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have done that.

Next morning, at the hospital, the doctor read the referral letter, and then while she directed Alex to get weighed she showed me where we'd be "staying." I really really didn't expect that. Alex was admitted to the hospital on 6/26/08 and we were both there through 7/2/08.

June 25th, 2008. That was the first date of our new normal.

2. cilipu

cilipu Approved members

When Maxine was born she was tested on the genetic disposition for T1. As she turned out to be positive on the two relevant genes she was taken into a studdy called TEDDY.
    We were monitored on what she was eating and every three month they drew a blood sample and checked for antibodies. Eight month before diagnosis the first antibody went positive. Nothing to worry about in the first place. Next test, next antibody positive but still everybody was calm. Next test third antibody positive and not only positive it was already quite high together with the two other ones.
    So we started checking her on a regular base. BG's were always fine. Still the docs thought even with her antibodies in that range she could go on for a few years. Two weeks before diagnosis I went to a regular check to her doc and she was so happy wth her. BG fine, everything else fine and nothing to worry about.
    So... two weeks later after coming home from a business trip Maxine was still fine. The only thing was, when I came into her room in the morning there was an odd smell. I was confused but as I never smelled it before I asked André and he said, no there is no strange smell (by this time I didn't know that smelling aceton - ketones is genetic, not everybody is able to smell it). As Maxine was doing fine and not showing the symptoms we were looking for... drinking.... soaking nappies and stuff like that I didn't worry to much....
    On monday I took her to her day care mum and only when I picked her up Silke asked if Maxine didn't sleep well as she had been moody the whole day long. At the same second Maxine asked for something to drink and Silke answered her that she had only two cups of water five minutes ago.....
    On that point the alarm went off and I knew what we were dealing with.
    Coming home I told André and we decided on testing her the next morning and taking her to the doctor.... we ended up with her BG at 210 (without having eaten anything) and ++ ketones the next morning and took her to the doc who sent us straight to hospital......
    The funny thing is, when we turned up there with the diagnosis T1, they started reasuring us that we don't have to worry because Maxine was never having diabetes, she was far to good looking. Of course they were wrong.......

3. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

My first introduction post

This is my introduction post originally posted back on 6-25-08 with our story about Londons DX.

London was 16 months old at DX and is now 2 years old.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,
    My name is Rusty i am father of London. London is 19 months old and was dx'd type 1 on 4-04-08. I have been in parents chat many times and everyone here at CWD has been very kind and supportive. I have just started getting into forums so i thought i would leave a post intoducing ourselves to all i have not talked with yet. Our story all started a couple of weeks before DX. London started getting sick. He was getting yeast infections, ear infections, Thrush, losing wieght and just getting weaker by the day. I had to doctors 3 times leading up to this and was told everytime it was a virus and it had to run its course, doctor would send us home with perscriptons. The day of dx when he woke up he was so sick he could not even stand up anymore so i took him to ER. The hospital tried to tell me the same thing, that he had a virus. I told the doctor that i know this little boy and that there had to be something else wrong besides a virus. I demanded some kind of tests be done or i was not going to leave till they did them. The doctor then ordered blood and urine tests. Well about half hour later doctor came in and told me he had diabetes and was DKA. I was shocked, so i asked him whats next. (thinking they would give us meds and go home. i did not know anything about Diabetes). Thats when the doctor told me they had a helicopter on they way to transport him to CHOP. The doctors at CHOP were shocked to hear what has happen leading up to this and told me he probrably would not have made it one more day. We spent a week there. I am so gratefull for all they done for London there. London is doing very well now and i am starting to get a handle on all of this. I wanna give a big thanks to everybody that gave me hope that i can do this and was not alone. Thanks from the bottom of my heart to everyone.( you know who you are)

Rusty and London Shaffer

4. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

My diagnosis story is a little bit different.
    I was 14 and just started high school. It was about mid October or early November when I started noticing some weird things happening.
    First of all I would skip breakfast a lot or eat a chocolate donut (not the healthiest choice I know) Anyway I was sitting in Algebra one morning trying to use my calculator when my hands started shaking. They were shaking so bad that I couldn't use the calculator. They were shaking horribly. It never dawned on me to go to the nurse. I called my mom after school and told her what happened. About a week later I was sitting in my 3rd period class and I forgot just about everything. The date--I stared at the board for about 10 or 15 minuted trying to figure it out. I went to my next class, french, could not remember a word of French. I could barely remember my name. Again, it never occured to me to go to the nurse.
    I told my mom about it again. She takes care of a woman who has had type 1 for over 50 years and was telling her about what was happening and she said "You know I think she could have diabetes." So my mom borrowed an extra meter. We checked my blood sugars 2 hours after I finished eating dinner and I was 264. About 15 minuted later I was 285. Next morning I was 119. The other thing that I always wondered about was I would sit in school and I would feel like I was starving. I would feel SO hungry. In the summer I was addicted to toast. I would eat so much of it. I would eat like 6 slices at a time. I always wondered if that had to do with diabetes:confused:

5. ilovefrogs

ilovefrogs New Member

Here is how my story goes:
    It was Labor DAy weekend in 1988, i was 2 years old. I think that me and my parents had been somewhere, im not exactly sure. from what i have been told from my family; i was soaking my diaper at night, so they would put 2 diapers on me and i was wetting through those as well. I didnt want any kind of food all i wanted was my bottle. I was starting to loose weight when my mawmaw sugessted to my mother that i might have diabetes. so my mother called and made me an appt with the ped, and we went in. she told him my symptoms and he immediately did a bs. im not exactly sure what it was(i was too young) and he sent us straight to the ER. I believe i was admitted for a couple of days. My mawmaw said she was so excited when she came to see me b/c i was actually eating. I am so very thankful that i had such a wonderful Ped who knew his stuff. that is how my journey began and now here i am 20 years later, and its all just part of life. I never thought that it would be this way, sometimes i ask why me? but i know that God had a good reason, even though i have no clue what that could be. When people ask how it feels i tell them i dont know what it feels like to not be a diabetic so it feels normal to me?! some people just do not understand the extent of diabetes and what we have to deal with everyday. some people think that we use it as a crutch, but if i was going to do that i would so have picked something else, like something that was not life long and that there was a cure for. I was picked on alot in school, but now that i am in college and a nursing student people think that it is so neat to see me chek my blood and see how my pump and meter interact with eachother, diabetes has come a long way!

6. Bahama-mama

Bahama-mama Approved members

New diagnosis

I never thought I would deal with diabetes in my family especially with my 9
    year old Leah, she is so petite and active. At the beginning of Feb she had a
    high fever for a couple of days, we treated it with Motrin and Tylenol and
    it went away, thought nothing else of it. Two weeks or so later we noticed
    she was peeing alot, even having to get up during the night, also the excessive drinking, she has never in her whole life finished a whole can of soda,
    usually it is as full when she's finished as when she started. One night she
    drank a whole can and was still thirsty. We hoped it was just a UTI. But in the
    back of my mind I kept remembering that episode on The Love Boat when a
    passenger kept drinking water, his and everybody else's at the table, and ended up having diabetes.
    We took her to the doc first thing the next day, they tested her urine she had
    +4 ketones, then they finger tested her, her bg was 531.
    So that night we went to the e.r and she was admitted. We stayed for two days. We have been home and in contact with her doc every couple of days to see if her insulin needs adjusting. We have an appointment with Miami Children's on the 26th for more extensive testing and counselling.
    Leah is doing well, looking at her you would not think anything was wrong.

7. elained

elained Approved members

Hi there, I am new to these boards.

My son Robbie was diagnoised on the 3rd July 2008. His symptons really only started 3 weeks previous. He told me he wanted to bring 2 bottles of water to school every day as teacher said they could. I just said Ok no problem, with it getting warmer and them doing a lot of extra outdoor activities, I just thought he would need it. Then he started wetting the bed. At first I thought something was bothering him at school. He had told us previouly that the teacher had told them if they did not pass their exams at the end of the year they would not move into 4th the following year, so I thought this was on his mind. The second week it started to get worse with him wetting the bed twice or 3 times that week. He was also running to the loo a lot during the day but we still thought it was all down to him drinking too much so we tried to stop the drinks. I tried to get an appointment with the GP but she had nothing available till the next week so we waited as at the time we didnt know if it was an emergency or not as he was only wetting the bed.

The following week was the week of diagnosis. We went to the doc on the Wednesday. She checked his urine which was fine but then she pricked his finger. His reading was off the scale. She typed out a letter for me there and then and told me to go straight to the A&E. When we got there they took bloods and put him on a drip. Bloods came back at 49.7 but with no keytones. We were admitted and spent a week in.

Robbie is on Mixitard 30, which is a mixture of fast and slow acting insulin. He injects in morning and evening. The pump is not available yet in the hospital we attend. It is only available in Dublins childrens hospitals. I am going to see if I can get on the books for the Dublin hospital as Robbie would prefer to have the pump.

Anyway, he is getting on great with the injections and has been doing them himself since day 2 in the hospital.

It was the most devastating news at first but we have all gotten used to it now.

8. jbsmom

jbsmom Approved members

Janelle's Dx Story

Just after Janelle was born (4-24-97), she was invited to do a study looking for markers that might show her risk for T1 diabetes. I said alright. Every few years the Dew-it study would contact us for a small sample of fresh blood. In 2003 we were informed that Janelle was at great risk of developing T1 diabetes. We thought nothing of it because there was no history of any one on either side of her family having T1 diabetes. Fast forward to 2007. Janelle had a viral infection in Nov 06 that never seemed to go away. She then came down with a second viral infection in Feb 2008. At this time she started falling asleep in the car on the way home from school, skipped recesses to take a nap (told teacher she had home work to finish so she could stay in). Constantly drinking, craved sweets but we did not have much because we have always limited them. Then she started wetting the bed. My DH and I felt it was stress. The week before spring break I watch her play basketball after school, she just walked around on the court, no hustle like she use to do. I began to suspect another viral infection. On April 2nd and 3rd we were at Childrens Hospital in Seattle for her younger brothers appts. She only wanted to sleep (usually she would be a water dog and swim for hours in the pool at the hotel), and she was not eating. I became worried and called her peds at home, they set up an appt for 10 am on the 4th. I could hardly wake her up that morning, The nurse took one look at Janelle and rushed us to the back they put her on the scale and she was down to 50 pounds, she had been 72 in Feb. I was in total denial I kept repeating no she is taller that is why she weighs less. Next Dr. G did a finger poke the first meter said high, and the next test showed 989. Dr G confirmed our worst fears. Janelle was almost in a DKA comma. Dr G carried Janelle across the parking lot to the hospital where she stayed for the next 10 days. On the first day that they started insulin shots I stood there and cried, Janelle told me not to cry, she was the brave one. The nurse said "okay mom, you ready to do this?" I broke down and could not do that, Janelle was the brave one, she told the nurse "it's my job, let me try." She has given her self every shot from that time on. And when she went on the pump she took total control of the insertions. I do oversee them. Janelle as dx'd 20 days before her 10th birthday. Today is 8 days before her dx anniversary. I still feel confused but it is slowly becoming part of our family. My DH is starting to accept the dx, as well as my ds. There are days that I'm still lost and wish that my dd Janelle did not have the big D, as well being thankful that we got the dx before we lost her. Janelle still struggles with having D. There are days when it does not bother her, and there are days that she just hates it. But we will go on knowing that we all love and support each other.:cwds:

9. Shannyn

Shannyn New Member

It's been five months.

My son's story is like most, Looking back we recall the mood swings back in late October, he gradually started drinking more, and kept saying mom I'm so thirsty, I can't get enough to drink. We had no Idea. He was going to the bathroom every five or ten minutes. The week before Thanksgiving 2008. Scott started to get real sick, we thought it was the stomach flue. He was sick all day Saturday, Sunday, and he stayed home from school on Monday and Tuesday.. He seemed to be feeling better so he went to school on Wednesday and Thursday. When he came home from school on Thursday he looked clammy and fell to sleep which is unusual for a boy of 9. He woke up around 10:00pm and couldn't hold anything down.. I called the doctor and got an appointment first thing in the morning he was drinking Gatorade to get his electro-lights. Mind you we had no idea we just wanted to keep him hydrated. We got into the office and I explained what was going on for the past two weeks, they immediately checked his sugar.. I kept asking what's going on. They then asked if diabetes ran in the family, My father has type one, but got diagnosed when he was 70. To make this long story shorter, Scott's sugar was 644 and he had high ketone's. The doctors wouldn't say anything until they got him out of danger, they even told me they where surprised he walked into the hospital. Scott stayed in intensive care one night and move to the children's ward for three more nights, he did get sick on Monday the day we were suppose to go home so we had to stay one more night.. So far everything is going smoothly His A1C has been 6.2.
    Thanks
    Shannyn Jeffrey

10. Eve

Eve Approved members

this is our story...

Kaitlin has had some health issues before this...Seizures, tee tubes. Those I dealt with fine.

We started noticing weight loss at the beginning of the school year. The peditrician said she would be having another growth spurt so I just thought she was getting taller and that was making her look skinnier.

Then around October I really noticed the drinking. She couldn't get enough. I thought it was something that would pass (3 litres to drink for lunch and I still didn't see it.) We joked about the amout she peed in a day.

Christmas after dinner she said she didn't feel well. Went for a nap on the couch. Our family talked about how skinny she looked. I mentioned how pale she was getting.

She had an appointment in March for her annual checkup but by the middle of January she was starting to scare me. She was so pale and skinny.

I called the doctor but could not get in for a week. That whole week my mind turned in upon itself. I started thinking it was cancer. I cried to my mother that I didn't want to outlive my child. I told my mother Kaitlin was starting to remind me of Kim(my best friend that died of cancer when we were 10).

Finally we go to the doctor. She takes one look at Kaitlin and says she wants to to soem blood work. She said to take Kaitlin home and she would call within the hour. The call finally comes in and we are told it looks like D. It is now 6pm. She said she was waiting for the rest of the results to come in but we would not get those results until 11:00am the next morning. Kaitlin is to stay home from school and wait.

And so we waited...At 11:05 the call comes in. It is D for sure. We are to take her the the Diabetic Clinic across from the hospital. They would test her blood there and maybe admit her into the hospital. My heart is now breaking and I am so scared for her but I did not want her to see this. When I told her it was D, she cried and said she did not want to die.(you know because it starts with die) I told her not to worry, she is going to live till she's 100. Next I phoned my hubby to tell him to come home. Next I phone my other daughters school to pull her out as the doctor told me.

Then off we go to the Clinic. I really don't remember the ride there but I do remember walking down the hallway. Next we are taken into a room with 3 staff members. The A1C test that was done is off the scale. She has high levels of Ketones. They give her a finger prick and she's extremely high(can't remember the number). They said they thought she could continue without being admitted.

They gave her a dose of insuling right away. Then the schooling began for 3 long days. Talk about overload!! And realizing how close it was to losing her.

It has been 3 months and she is my hero!:)

11. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

My son was diagnose on April 11, 2009. He had been fighting influenza for a week and a half, so when he started losing weight and drinking a lot, I thought it had to do with the virus. He dropped 8lbs in less than 2 weeks and had no energy; didn't want to do anything but sleep or drink water. He had started going to the bathroom a lot (6-8 times a night) about 3 days before he was diagnosed. He didn't seem all that sick; just seemed that the flu was hanging on longer than the doctors predicted. He was certainly tired and sluggish, but I thought it was because he had spent a week and a half in bed. My mom started becoming concerned about how much he was drinking and going to the bathroom, so I called our local hospital and talked to a nurse. I told her Caleb's symptoms and she suggested he be checked out. After talking to her, I started getting more concerned, so I took him to Urgent Care. As soon as I described his symptoms, they immediately checked his blood sugar. Two nurses came back in the room within 5 minutes and said that for a kid Caleb's age, his blood sugar should be around 100 and Caleb's was 750. The immediately transferred him to the ER to get him started on IV's and insulin. I was in shock. I of course had thought about his symptoms being diabetes, but I didn't think that's what it actually was going to be. It took the doctor 4 times to get an IV in Caleb because he was so dehydrated. They told me that he would have to be transferred to a bigger hospital because they weren't staffed to deal with such a young kid with Type 1. Then they told me we had to wait for the A1C test to see if he would need to go to PICU or could be in a regular room. That test came back at 12.6, so that meant we'd be going to the PICU. They took him to Madison in an ambulance and thankfully I was able to ride with him up front. He ended up being in the PICU for about 26 hours before he was moved to a regular room on the Peds unit. He was there from Saturday to Wednesday...the longest days of my life. I never thought I'd be a parent that had to say those four words, "My child has diabetes."

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

My daughter, Jayden, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on December 28, 2007.

Our story...in a nutshell, she was never sick. She had a three week break from gymnastics, over the Christmas holiday, and during that break, I started to notice a bit of a strange smell on her breath. I decided that I wanted to make it through Christmas, but right after Christmas, I would do a little research and see what I could figure out. We got through Christmas Day, and the next day, I started researching. I actually Googled the term "breath smells like nail polish remover." DKA kept coming up over and over in my searches - but Jayden wasn't sick.

Just in case, I decided to do a little test of my own. I went to Walgreen's on Dec. 26th and bought a bottle of KetoStix. I waited until the next morning, when she woke up, sent my older boys outside to play, and had her pee on a stick. It turned the darkest color on the bottle. I didn't make a big deal of it to her, and she went on about her day. Quietly, I began to get an overnight bag together with her most important comfort items - blanket, stuffed bear, etc..

I called her regular doctor's office about 1pm, told them what I had found, they scheduled her an appointment for 4pm. We weren't seen until around 5. The did a urine collection which was highly positive for glucose - the lady who did it actually asked me if she'd eaten a Snickers bar right before we came!!! Then the EMT who works in the office did a fingerstick on her, and the meter read "HI." Believe it or not, he has type 1 diabetes himself. I think he was almost as sad as I was to see that number.

By 6pm, we were on the way to the hospital. Our dr's office doesn't have privileges at the hospital, so we were assigned the pediatrician on call, who was very good. He explained the disease very well to Jayden...drew pictures so she would understand what was going on. The ER doc, well, he's a different story...came in and said since she wasn't in DKA she was probably type 2. Lovely.

The official diagnosis was made sometime in the wee hours of the morning of Dec. 28th. Her blood work came back as bg 575, and A1C 13.4%.

The running theory is that Jayden had been developing diabetes for at least six months, possibly longer, based on the symptoms we can now look back and identify. Because she is a competitive athlete, though, and was exercising close to 20 hours a week, the exercise was bringing down her blood sugars to a point where she could still function pretty normally. The endocrinologist did tell us she was glad we hadn't waited until Monday (it was Friday night when she was admitted), because she likely would have been in DKA by the end of the weekend.

As it was, we spent less than 24 hours in the hospital, and no time in the ICU.

13. OxyMoron

OxyMoron Approved members

Diagnosed 2 months ago

Here is the story of my daughter Elinor's diagnosis at the age of almost 11 months.

It came out of the blue, really. On the Wednesday she'd been her usual self. On Thursday and Friday she'd asked to nurse a lot and been quite grumpy in between. I thought that was a growth spurt. On Saturday she looked like she was coming down with a virus. On Saturday night she was up most of the night vomiting ("aha" we thought, "that virus must be a D&V bug"). On Sunday - Mothering Sunday here in the UK - she was rushed to hospital.

She looked so tired and floppy on that Sunday morning. It seemed reasonable. She'd been up being sick most of the night so it stood to reason that she'd be tired. I planned a lazy day. Just let her sleep on me and after enough rest she'd perk up, wouldn't she? By late morning she wasn't looking any better. I got in the bath with her as it usually helps. I thought if this didn't work nothing would. I stayed in the water with her for a good while, but she just didn't look any better. And then she started to look worse. She was starting to be unresponsive to me, still very floppy, and now her eyes were looking sunken. I decided to get a second opinion and called NHS direct.

They asked me a few questions. She was going downhill now. She was barely responding to us. Her breathing was laboured and she was starting to go blue around her mouth. The operator sent the paramedics out to us, which wasn't too much of a surprise as they said they took no chances with babies. It was more of a surprise when the ambulance arrived. They took one look at Elinor, said "That's a sick baby. We're just going to grab and go." And that was it. We were off with lights & sirens to the nearest hospital.

They took her straight to the resus room in A&E. From what I'd said on the phone and on the journey, they thought they were dealing with a baby dehydrated from D&V. I didn't know at that point that the vomiting was a symptom and not a cause. They took blood, put lines in, pushed fluid, etc. She didn't come around. They started asking more about the sickness: how much, how many times? The doctors said the relatively small amount of sickness was nowhere near enough to cause this result. They started to consider other options. Elinor by now was nearing unconsciousness. She was sedated and ventilated whilst they tried to stabilise her. I waited with her until she was sedated then left the doctors to work on her. It was hours before I saw her again.

Before she left resus the paediatric intensivist came to see us. He said they were considering the possibility of diabetes as her blood glucose was 55 mmols/L (990 mg/dL). Suddenly the soaked nappies, frequent feeding and sweet breath of the last couple of days fell into place. She was transferred to paediatric intensive care and again they worked to stabilise her there.

It was over three hours in PICU before we could see her. It was such a long wait. I have no idea what was going through my head for all that time. When we saw her she was sedated and on a ventilator. She was under a heated blanked and had lines everywhere. She was still breathing very hard and they were thinking about giving her paralytic drugs to stop her efforts and take over control for a while. It was strangely reassuring to see her. It was clear that she was very poorly, but there was also a feeling that she was in the best possible place.

The team worked to stabilise all her levels as slowly as possible. They wanted to avoid complications, and seemed most worried about cerebral oedema. Elinor stayed on PICU for the next two days. Fortunately for everyone there were no surprises. She stabilised well and the next day they turned her sedation right down. They wanted to see if she'd start moving again. The consultant still looked very worried at this point. When she did start moving his body language totally changed. It looked like the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders. So far so good and they planned to extubate her the following day, all being well.

I was waiting in my room for a call from my husband that evening. PICU phoned instead! Surprisingly she'd been extubated. The nurse said "She sort of woke up with a vengeance and made the decision for us!" She was out of her cot and cuddling with her nurse. I was off like a shot to get my cuddle!

The next morning I was told that Elinor was the most well patient on PICU. It was planned to transfer her to PHDU (high dependency unit) that day. That day saw so many of my personal milestones reached. She opened her eyes. She recognised me (I know this because she practically leaped off the bed when she saw me come close!). She nursed again. I felt like she was coming back.

We stayed in hospital for another week or so. It was the Thursday (my birthday!) when I really knew we had her back. Her older sister Imogen came to visit that day. She was the best medicine. Elinor got back the twinkle in her eye and the infectiously cheeky grin that's been her trademark since birth.

We had an intensive education programme in hospital. The paediatric diabetes team have been fantastic all through this ordeal. We started on multiple daily injections, but right from the start it had been suggested that a pump system might be the best option for Elinor. We started on the pump just over a week ago, and today has been our first day since diagnosis that every blood glucose reading has been in our target range.

We have been immersed in all of this since Elinor's diagnosis. There is so much to learn. Mostly it's OK, if a bit exhausting. Sometimes I find it scary to see information on how sick she was. I now know that she was admitted with severe DKA. Her ketones were 5.5 and her blood pH had dropped to 6.79. It's a lot to take in.

We know getting used to life with diabetes will be a long journey. But we are so glad that our daughter is still here with us.

Thanks for listening.

D.
    xxx

14. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

My daughter Zoe was dx'd on March 29th, 2008. She was 13 months old.

The first symptom that was noticed was at her 1-year appointment at the family doctor, when he noticed that she had lost some weight (well, she had failed to gain some).

About 2 weeks before dx, I had notice that she didn't have as much energy as she used to (or as her twin brother). I thought she may be starting a cold or something. Then the drinking began, all the time, sippy cup after sippy cup. Pretty much at the same time, the peeing began as well. Maybe 1 week before dx, I had to change her diaper and pajamas around 10 PM several days in a row because everything was already soaked.

6 days before dx, it was Easter, and now that I look at the numerous pictures taken on that day, I notice that Zoe NEVER smiles on the pictures...

2 days after Easter, she would start to cry for no apparent reason, she always wanted to be in my arms, she didn't move around a lot... On that day, my DH said "do you think she has diabetes?". I had no idea what the symptoms were, so I googled the drinking, peeing, etc. Diabetes came up.

The next day, DH went with her to a walk-in clinic. The doctor said "I don't think it's diabetes. Book an appointment with your family physician. But if ever it IS diabetes, there's no danger in waiting a couple of weeks." (where did that doctor get his license????).

Next day, no improvement, I called Tele-Health Ontario, they said it was probably nothing, and to give it 2 weeks or so, she should be getting better... (who are these people??)

Next day, no better, plus I notice her sweet breath. Next day, no better, Zoe and I go to the ER, where we got the diagnosis. I remember very clearly sitting on this chair in the little room with Zoe on my lap, when the doctor came back saying "OK, I know why little Zoe has not been felling well. She has diabetes.". Then he explained she had to be transfered by ambulance to the Children's Hospital. When he left to arrange for the transfer, I had, for the first time in my life, a true feeling of "this is just a dream, I'll wake up and everything will be fine".

I still cry when I think of that day, but when I look back to the time since dx, I'm really proud of ourselves. We made D a part of our lives (uninvited, granted...) but we don't let it define us.:)

15. cam42

cam42 Approved members

well this isnt exactly my diagnosis story but.....

a week after i was diagnosed i was told 2 wright a story for homwork
    I wrote about a boy diagnosed in the same situation as i was from the fathers point of vew...here goes....

The Unexpected Trip
    By
    Campbell J. Mitchell

One morning while I was getting up to go to work, I noticed that my 6 year old son, Cameron, was very unwell. He has been having a sinus infection for a long time now and it seems to be getting worse. He told me that he threw-up last night but only once. I told him that if he did not get any better then we may have to take him to the hospital. Since my wife and I both work, I decided to stay home and care for my son.

Just then he ran to the bathroom like there was no tomorrow and threw-up again! He was in there over thirty minutes and so I went in to check on him. He appeared to be having trouble breathing and he was quite pale. He was running a fever of over 40 degrees C! I knew it was time to go to the hospital immediately!

About half way there we were in a traffic jam so I made sure that Cameron was okay. He looked even worse and I muttered to myself ?I so don?t have time for this?.

As soon as we got to the hospital I took him into the emergency room. They whisked him away before I could catch where they were taking him to. Confused as I was I followed. When I finally caught up to them, I saw they were doing a blood test. The results were very alarming. A normal person has a blood glucose level (BGL) of between 4 and 8 micromoles per litre of blood, his BGL was 54 (this is almost 7 x normal readings)! They told me that they needed to do a ketone test which sounded painful but they explained that it was almost the same as a normal blood test. His ketones were high and they told me that he was diabetic which was a humongous shock to me so I tried to call my wife and explain what was happening. It took me a while to realize that the mobile phone would not work in the hospital. It only had 1 out of 3 connections bars showing on the phone (and unfortunately 33% of a full signal would not make for a usable connection). They then told me that he would need to be transferred to another hospital that had a paediatric ICU (intensive care unit).

About 5 minutes later I saw my son and he looked like he was asleep. I tried to wake him up but I could not. The doctor explained that he had extremely high ketones and that he was experiencing a ketoacidotic coma. I was in a real panic now!

Before I knew it the NETTS Transport Team was here to pick him up and transfer him but the doctor?s said that they wanted him to come out of the coma before he was transferred. Just then, my wife arrived by taxi from work. I explained that he was going to be transferred and one of us would have to ride with him. I volunteered. She went to get the car just as Cameron was awoken from the coma and being placed on the stretcher. There were so many monitors and thingy-ma-jigs attached to him that it was difficult to describe. One of the key things I did understand was the heart rate monitor which was beating faster than normal at almost 120 beats per minute. His breathing was shallow and erratic and he was placed on oxygen because the oxygen level in his blood had fallen to 80% of saturation. He was very unwell.

We got into the transport vehicle and started to drive with the lights and sirens on. I was both excited and worried from riding in the ambulance with the sirens blaring. Suddenly, there was a very odd noise coming from the engine of the ambulance?I asked, why does it sound like the engine just stopped? The driver said ?that would be because the engine just stopped?. The driver radioed to the transportation communication centre who said that there were no more NETTS vehicles available and said that because of the seriousness of the situation a helicopter would be despatched to complete the trip to the ICU.

In about 10 minutes, a searchlight appeared from overhead and I could hear the thump, thump, thump of the chopper?s rotors beating the air. It landed nearby and what seemed like an enormous squad of people came charging out. Cameron was quickly transferred to the chopper and within seconds we were flying towards our destination. We flew West Southwest at an altitude of 750 meters and a speed of 300 kilometres per hour?we were really flying now.

In 2/3 of a half hour (20 minutes) I could see the helicopter landing area which said ?RESERVED FOR AMBULANCE HELICOPTERS ONLY?. So we landed immediately, where to my surprise the nurses whisked him away again. All I could think about was me finally getting to figure out what?s happening and they whisk him away again. Just then my wife pulled up the car with a SCREECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I quickly explained what had happened and into the hospital we rushed after our son.

The next few days were a blur for my wife and I as the nurses and doctors went in and out giving my son injections taking measurements changing IV bags?it was all too much to absorb. I spent night after sleepless night by my son?s side in one of those uncomfortable guest beds. My wife came in and out trying to make sure that I had clean clothes and some food to eat?all my attention was on my sick boy.

The next day the doctors came in and explained that his condition had stabilised and that he would be transferred to one of the wards, the Camperdown Ward. They moved him to the new room and pointed out where everything was (toilet, refrigerator, and shower). We had the room to ourselves at first but then a few hours later, another child came into the ward and in no time at all, the ward was full of children with diabetes and their families.

After a few days of being in the ward, all of the children were beginning to feel much better and we all began to regain some normalcy in our daily routines. My son was on a regimen of four shots of insulin daily just before meals with very frequent blood glucose testing in between. Depending on the BGL levels, we had to adjust his insulin dose. To be accurate we began to carefully plot and chart his BGL results so that we could identify trends and patterns to his BGL levels.

As we began to get his BGL levels to more normal levels, he began to make conversation with one of the children in the ward with us. Soon Cameron and Megan, the child in the bed next to his, asked me and her mother if we would take them down to the Starlight Playroom. I was thrilled that Cameron was interested in doing something besides lying in bed. But, Megan?s mother said that she needed to go to the parent care resource centre instead. I volunteered to take them both.

However, neither Cameron nor his new friend felt like walking so I had to push them to the playroom in wheelchairs. It is very difficult for one person to push two wheelchairs at the same time until we got to the ramp?they raced down so quickly, it took me a while to catch up. Once we got there they played for hours. Megan?s mother had to come down and take her back up. Neither Cameron nor Megan had enough energy to fight. As soon as we got back to the ward I saw what took them so long. They were on the starlight channel. I stood there astounded, told Megan?s mother and we both watched as they were dancing on the TV to the song that was playing. Then they just sat there grinning at us. That was the happiest I had seen my son in a long, long, long time. I was very confident that Cameron had made a friend that would last him a lifetime.

The next day, the hospital school person came around so that all of the children in the ward could keep up with their school work while still in the hospital.

The next few days flew by as Cameron, my wife and I along with Megan and her family were discharged from the hospital, attended diabetes education and finally went home for a long deserved sleep in my own bed.

As part of Cameron?s Diabetes control program, we must keep track of his daily BGL at certain times of the day and compare it to the type and amount of food he eats. We use this information to determine his insulin injections. We keep track of it in a table like this.

Morning Morning Tea Lunch Afternoon Tea Dinner Bedtime Night
    Day 1 Insulin 18 18 18 16
    BGL 12.5 12.3 12.1 12.4 12.6 11.7 12
    Day 2 Insulin 18 18 18 16
    BGL 8.2 7.5 8.3 7.6 8.1 8.2 8.4
    Day 3 Insulin 16 16 16 14
    BGL 5.2 7.5 9.1 8.9 9.2 8.2 8.7
    Day 4 Insulin 16 16 14 14
    BGL 4.8 5.3 5.6 6.9 7.2 8.1 8.5

We sometimes chart this data into a graph to look for trends. We target a BGL between 4 and 8 micromoles per litre of blood. When we see three days above the target we increase the insulin dose. If we see two days below we decrease the dose.

Now with help from the whole family, we are able to help keep Cameron on track and healthy.

As for Megan and her family, she and Cameron have been best friends ever since.

16. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I just posted this on another thread, and realized it was our Dx. story, so thought I'd post here...such a long time ago, but still makes me sad.

It still breaks my heart to say this. Morgan had always been a chubby toddler, so cute and squeezable. 10 years ago today we were on my in-laws farm and I remember my in-laws commenting on how thin Morgan had become. I have the pictures of her eating watermelon on the bridge over the creek with her ribs showing, and dark circles under her eyes. The next week, her big sister goes to camp, she starts wetting the bed (at 4). Gets a little better, then we have July 4th at my parents on the lake. She's back in pull-ups, but has good days and bad days. I remember my mom commenting about her eating handfuls of chocolate chips then falling asleep.
    2 more weeks, we help my grandfather go for his first swim post quintuple bypass surgery, Morgan gets out of the pool several time to throw up (I thought she swallowed too much pool water). Then 1 week before dx, I remember yelling at her because she wouldn't go to sleep...kept saying that her window was "too small, and too far away" (blurred vision). Then she started drinking and peeing like CRAZY. I thought, maybe a bladder infection? DDay: I was having a baby shower at work, went downstairs to get Morgan and the teacher said Morgan had another accident at naptime. I said I was going to take her to the doctor to see if she had a bladder infection right then. The teacher then told me she wasn't asleep, but sitting with her head in the cubby. At that point, the red flag went off. I called to Ped. took her straight there and they immediatly tested her blood sugar. The meter read HI. The nurse, Pediatrician and I all started crying. I knew it was bad. I called and cancelled my baby shower, and then went home to pack a bag for the hospital. We were admitted to the hospital, and I was one month away (to the day!) from delivering my 3rd child. It was the hardest month of my life. I wish I had followed my instincts earlier (I had said to my husband a week earlier that I was afraid Morgan had diabetes...which he poo-pooed.) Morgan's a1c was 12.9. Her BS was 713 at the hospital.
    With Zoe...she had a few odd numbers the year before dx, but started acting cranky 2 weeks prior (not the insatiable thirst and peeing). I smelled ketones on her breath, and she was basically dx.d that night (474 with Morgan's meter). Went to the clinic the next day, and a1c was 8.2. much less traumatic for Zoe, but so hard for me.

17. dana.amp

dana.amp Approved members

First of all I must Say all of yalls storys are so interesting.

Heres Mine. I was in the 3rd grade. It was days before my 8th birthday. My mom is a nurse so she noticed the signs. It was end of March 2001 and the last week or so I had lost a massive amount of weight. I wasn't eating; I was thirsty all the time. I was constantly losing my recess because I constantly had to use the restroom. I was tired; and just wasnt eating. I would nibble here and there. I felt sick. So one moring my mom was worried so she took me to her office and the doctor checked my bs and it was over in the 500s so the doctor reffered me to have blood drown at a hospital. So I went that morning and had my blood drawn. Then on April 1, 2001 a doctor called and informed my mom that indeed i did have diabetes. So the next day I was referred to the endo which was a pain in my &*^. but then i was put in the hospital. I was in the hospital for a week and a half. I actually met a lot of ppl and I had experience. I met this girl she had alot of probblems. I think she had cancer so she was always in and out of the hospital. I spent most of my time with her. She was a great girl. So those 2 weeks I learned how to d all the diabetic stuff. I started off with shots. I did shots for 7 years. I had horriable control. I wouldnt do what i was suppose to do. I refused. Then i had always wanted the pump. I went to doctor after doctor and they wouldnt give it to me. Then last year this doctor he understood; we connected and he made it easy for me to gain control and want to have good control. He worked closely with me. He promised me that if i got my alc 10 or below in 4 months (after summer was over) he would give me the pump; no questions asked. I worked hard. I watched what i ate; checked my bs regualrly. Took my insulin like i was suppose o and when i went back in november myalc was a 8.9. i was so proud of myself. He ordered mypump for me. I had problems getting my pump. But Januray 11, 2009 Igot my pump and have had it every since. :)

18. Shnnttbrwn

Shnnttbrwn New Member

Hello my name is Shannette. I am a single mother of 11 kids. I have an 8 year old daughter who was not feeling well. I took her to the Emergency room and the doctors told me that she was tired all the time, peeing alot and thirsty alot because she has type 1 diabetes.

19. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

Almost 1 year...

This is what I had typed up to send to all of our friends and family, then I changed my mind and decided to take a different spin on it. I thought I would still post our dx story here...

It all started on Sunday July 6, 2008. Rod and I had gone to a movie (Rod still remembers what movie it was and I always have to ask him, it was Wall-E). We left Zane with my parents while we went to the movie. When we got back to their house to pick him up we noticed he was breathing a little funny. We decided to take him to Urgent Care to have him checked out, only to find out that Urgent Care was closed. We then took him to the ER at Thunderbird hospital. We spent some time having his chest x-rayed and vitals checked. The doctor there acted like we were nuts and that our son was fine, maybe a little bronchitis. They sent us home and told us he should be better within a few days.

Zane seemed to get a little worse overnight. His breathing was becoming more and more labored. I made an appointment with his Pediatrician for that morning (Monday, July 7). His Aunt Tiffany and I took him in and had him checked out. He was still breathing weird and was becoming a little lethargic. The doctor checked him out and listened to his lungs. She noticed a throat infection he had. We assumed this might be why he was acting lethargic. She was not comfortable with the way he was breathing, but was not sure why he was breathing this way. We were told to monitor him and bring him in the next day if he seemed worse.

He did get worse again that night. He was still breathing abnormally and was becoming more lethargic. He was not eating a lot but was drinking A TON. We thought he was fine because he was staying hydrated, which we knew was important. We made another appointment with the Pediatrician. She checked him over and was still not comfortable with his breathing but could not put her finger on why he would be breathing the way he was. We brought him home and tried a few breathing treatments to see if that would help. The next day, Wednesday July 9th he seemed to perk up a little and we thought he was getting better. He ate his first meal in days and seemed more alert. We called the Pediatrician to let her know he was doing a little better.

Late that afternoon, he seemed to get worse again. He threw up one of his meals. I let the doctor know, and she prescribed something to help his upset tummy. I decided to wait it out since we had another appointment with the doctor in the morning. I did go out and get a video monitor so I could watch him breathe that night while he slept. Rod and I watched him off and on all night. I would wake up and turn on the monitor to watch him breathe for a few minutes and then turn it off. We woke up in the morning fully intending to take him to the Pediatrician.

Rod went off to work and I had my mom come over so I could shower before his appointment. Before she arrived I was getting Zane?s medicine ready with some juice. I could not do it one handed, so I put him on the floor and he almost fell over. He could not stand on his own. He was so weak. All he wanted to do was be held and to sleep. My mom watched him while I showered. When I came out into the living room she and I decided to take him straight to the Children?s Hospital. We knew if we had gone to the Pediatrician again she would have taken one look at Zane and sent use there anyway.

We finished getting everything ready and headed out. We called my dad and Rod on the way to let them know we were headed to the ER. My dad picked up Rod on his way down there. My mom was driving and I kept peeking in the back seat to make sure Zane was still breathing while he slept. As soon as we got there we were taken in to a room in the ER. The doctor came in and asked the routine questions. It seemed as though they thought he had swallowed something. He was taken for x-rays of his throat. Nothing. They tried a steroid breathing treatment. Nothing. No change in him at all. During this whole week I had been researching online and knew his symptoms could mean Diabetes, but I thought there was no way. I mentioned this to the ER doctor and they went ahead and checked his blood sugar.

I sat on the ER bed with my baby in my arms as the meter read 598. I immediately started to sob like a baby. I remember hearing my mom ask if it could be that high for any other reason. The doctor assured us there would be no reason for his blood sugar to be that high than Type 1 Diabetes. We were told he was going to be admitted immediately and would be taken to the ICU.

One of the doctors from the Endocrine team came to visit us while we were still in the ER. He explained a little to us about Zane being in DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). He told us the IV team would be coming in to insert an IV into Zane ASAP because he was severely dehydrated.

After his IV was in and the room in the ICU was ready, we were moved to our room where we spent the next 3 days waiting for some improvement in Zane. He was in someone?s arms almost non-stop. He laid on me and on his NaNa for comfort. He laid on his Daddy and Pompa when we needed a break. I stayed with him each day from morning until late at night. My mom and Rod stayed with him at night. During his time in ICU he had 2 more IV?s inserted and began to have his finger poked every hour for blood sugar checks. He finally started to turn around on the 3rd day. He seemed to perk up a bit and was excited to get to eat again. We were moved to a regular room where we were able to bring him more toys and a wagon to play in (and ride in).

Rod, my parents, my brother/ sister-in-law and I learned how to manage diabetes in a crash course before Zane was released. We each learned to do finger pokes and check his blood sugar. A few of us practiced giving shots of insulin. Then we were released to manage this monster on our own. We have had to learn a whole new way of living. We can no longer rush out of the house in 5 minutes. It takes time to check Zane?s blood sugar and treat if needed. Pack all the supplies needed for every trip out of the house. It took a few days for us to feel comfortable leaving the house, a little longer to feel comfortable going out to eat at a restaurant, and even longer to let him stay with someone other than Rod or I for more than a few hours.

We learned how to adjust his insulin needs on our own. We learned how to count carbs and give insulin to cover his meals. Since being diagnosed we have been lucky enough to get him started on an insulin pump. We are now able to give him small doses of insulin that his little body needs.

Zane has learned to deal with a minimum of 10 finger pokes a day. He has even started to help with cleaning his finger and pushing the button on his poker. He endures site changes for his pump every 3 days. He is such a brave little boy. (even if he is only so good because he gets a sucker) He wears his pump in his pocket, in an undershirt on his back, or in a pump pouch and never messes with it. (ok, rarely messes with it :))

20. sweetestsin

sweetestsin New Member

I don't remember much of what happened, but here it goes:

During June and July of 2006, I had just finished the 6th grade. I had soccer tournaments for all-stars right before, and I hadn't been playing as well; I felt very sluggish and worn out. I started losing weight. I was 115 pounds and about 5'5, and then I went down to 75 pounds. I looked very skinny, almost like a skeleton. My mom noticed I was very thirsty and peeing a lot, which I know know meant how high my blood sugar was. I began a babysitting class on July 8th, 2006. I went with my cousin Laura who is a week younger than me. I didn't feel well, but I wanted to do this class so badly and I had been preparing for it for weeks. At the beginning of the class, I had to run out and throw up in the bathroom. I called my mom, and she took me home. I felt so sick, and I was basically puking every ten minutes from 3 P.M. that day until 9 A.M. the next day, July 9th. My mom called my pediatrician because I felt worse than ever. I remember making myself throw up because it made me feel better, since I was in DKA. The doctor's appt my mom made was scheduled for Monday. I cried the whole night, and finally my mom gave in and took me to the doctor's. My doctor told me to pee in a cup, and I told her I just went because I had to so badly. I could hardly pee, but the little I did had a TON of sugar in it. My doctor ran me over to the ER at Torrance Memorial, which is next to her office, in a wheelchair. I remember laying in a gurney and having them put a nausea patch or something of that sorts on myself. I also remember asking "Is this the type where I can or can't eat sugar?" Hahaa[: They tested my blood sugar and it wasn't readable. So they took it again an hour later and it was about 800. The nurses told my parents that if they wouldn't have taken me in until Monday, I probably wouldn't have made it. I was then rushed over in an ambulance to Long Beach Memorial Hospital in the ICU. I was given an IV with water in it, I think, because of my dehydration. This was when I recall Italy winning the World Cup, and then they moved me into a new room in the children's section. I began to perk up, and all of my family visited me. I learned how to test my blood sugar, count my carbs, and to give myself shots. I don't remember much else besides this, but in my stay at the hospital Sandra Bullock & Jesse James came to visit and brought all of us kids toys. I got out of the hospital a day before my 12th birthday. About a year and a half later, I got my insulin pump, which is an Animas 2020. My A1C is at 7.5, and it's getting more in control every day. I've done so well with this, and I've been independent the whole time.

And that's my diagnosis story!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009