- advertisement -

Diagnosis Experience

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Feb 3, 2009.

?

When your child first showed the symptoms, what did the doctor say?

1. My doctor blew it off and said it was something other than diabetes.

36 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. My child was critically ill at diagnosis.

50 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. My doctor suggested that my child's symptoms were diabetes and tested for it right away.

97 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. I had to convince my doctor to test, but he/she quickly agreed to.

27 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

We went to my sisters ped, because we were away from home visiting my family. He thought it was an infection, gave an antibiotic, wanted us to return for another white blood cell count the next day. On his way out the door said "Oh, and his sugar count is a little high, but it could be nothing". It was 350. We found out the next day when he retested that he was "still" 350 and might be D. Looking back and knowing what I know now, of course he had all the classic symptoms of D and DKA, but I didn't put it all together until well after diagnosis.

2. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Joey had what we thought was a stomach bug since my husband had same symptoms. Went back to school after Xmas break and I had to pick him up midmorning. Tried again few days later and same thing. He was drinking alot hungry, peeing - even getting up during the night, stomach cramps. He had been having behavior issues for a few months prior. Although the docs all say its not related, I think it was the beginning. Finally 1 night I called my mother to take us to the ER. My husband was working 2nd shift and I had no working car. ( Ironically, 1 year to the day of Joey's DX, DH was laid off). Got him to the ER, explained the symptoms and they took us back right away. We were in the last room because the were so busy and were expectng an ambulance. The nurse, after hearing his symptoms, immediately took his sugar. She took one look and moved him to the 1st bed. She took it again and said it was 1180. I told her that was impossible...hes walking & talking. Im trained as a CNA so I know it should be 80-120. ( Looking back I couldnt believe I didnt pick up on his symptoms....Denial? ) She said its 1180 and he's being admitted to the ICU & that she could say that w/ a doubt before the dr even saw him. Joey spent 3 days in ICU, then 2 days on Med-Surg. Called his grandparents in Philly and his grandmother came up and got a hotel. 1 of us was with him at all times. During the night when I couldnt sleep Id walk the halls and since all doors except ER are locked after 8pm, I went down there for smoke breaks. I made sure to find that nurse and thank her for her quick thinking in testing him immediately. I also spent alot of time crying in the bathrooms. I still cant believe he was that high. I didnt realize that was possible. And I still feel guilty for not picking up on his symptoms sooner. But I do realize how very very lucky he is to be here today.

3. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

This threw us off too. My oldest had thrown up a couple times. Then DD threw up. Except she wouldn't get better and would throw up every couple days. I was sure it was a stomach bug that she couldn't get over b/c DS had been sick too.

Don't beat yourself up (though I do it too). I had told my DH a couple times in the week before she was diagnosed that DD was drinking too much and that it was a symptom of diabetes. But I thought I was being paranoid. I had recently taken my kids in to the doctor for things that were really silly, and I was determined I wasn't going to overreact again. Stupid me. :mad:

4. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Justin had actually showed symptoms long before we actually took him to the ER. Every time we'd make an appointment to see our Family Dr., by the time the appointment would come around Justin would seem to be feeling better so we'd cancel the appointment. The Saturday that we finally had enough, he simply couldn't drink enough water to satisfy his thirst (he went through 1/2 a case of bottled water and 2 gallons of milk that afternoon) and was completely lethargic. We were at our inlaws at the time and both are T2 so just for kicks they took a BG reading that gave no number but instead said HI.

Rather that waiting for an appointment again we decided to stop at the local hospital ER on the way home. We told the nurse how the BG meter said HI but all she did was give me a look like "yeah right", then came back later for some blood samples. They thought he was either high on drugs or hung over but I guess the first set of blood samples blew the initial alarm so they came back for more blood samples saying that the first tests gave some goofy numbers. Of course the 2nd set of blood samples confirmed what the 1st set was saying and they informed us Justin had T1.

5. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

The only problem I have with the way Phillip was dxd was that the doctor didn't tell me how serious it was. He said we needed to go to the children's ward of the hospital. I didn't have a car, so we walked there. Took us 1/2 hour. If he'd told us how urgent it was I would have got him to call an ambulance.

6. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I chose the last one but actually I did not have to convince him- I had already tested with my MIL's meter and it read HI several times and 597 - it was after hours when I called his office, the nurse on call called him and he called me right back and sent us straight to Vanderbilt that night rather than waiting until morning - daniel did not feel good but was not critically ill although I know now how quickly that can change so I think that is why his dr sent us on.. I really had no idea what T1 even was and a friend in the medical filed told that the wieght loss I described about Daniel could be anorexia or Diabetes - I knew it was not Anorexia so I tested his blood sugar and I diagnosed with the help of some good friends and great dr.

7. Becky-Sam'sMom

Becky-Sam'sMom Approved members

I chose the first one. Sam's doctor blew it off as a stomach virus at first. He thought that just because Sam didn't have all of the symptoms, it couldn't be Type 1. Later I took him to another doctor and they immediately knew what was going on and tested and dx'd him.

8. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

It was Christmastime 2007. Chris was drinking alot and had to leave during a couple of holiday concerts to pee. I remember telling my wife,"We need orange juice." She told me there's a new half-gallon. It was half gone. My wife is a pediatric dietician who volunteered at D-camp for 11 years. I'm an ophthalmologist. We called our doctor's office and they sent him to the lab after school. The next day they called. His BG was 300. When we got to the hospital it was over 500, but only trace ketones. He never even had an IV.
    We were fortunate. We were very knowledgeable and had a responsive doctor. Nevertheless, it would have been very easy to just say, "He's just growing," and space it off a bit longer. Looking back, there had been other symptoms; tummy-aches and mood swings for weeks.

Chuck

9. Shirley and Jamie V.

Shirley and Jamie V. Approved members

My daughter was not ill. My doctor screens EVERY CHILD as soon as they can pee in a cup. They are not reimbursed for the screening by any insurance companies, but continue to screen because they believe it is important. One of the lead doctors in my group is married to the head of Pediatric Endo. at our Children's Hospital so they understand how important this is.

We were (and are) very lucky.

10. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Number 3
    I had been drinking loads of water, which I hated, and going to the bathroom every 30 minutes. I had lost a little weight. My mom considered d but then though- no it couldn't be that- This continued and I started getting up multiple times during the night and my teacher noticed. I was 7 years old and about 45 lbs. On Friday, March 13, 1998, my mom called our new doctor. After school we went straight to the doctor. It was the first and last time I ever saw him. He listened to what my mom had to say, looked at me, then decided to do a urinalysis. When that came back positive for sugar and ketones, the nurse tested my bg and walked out. The doc came in and said "Rae has Type 1 Diabetes. Her bg is 59?. You need to take her straight to the hospital" My mom was crying uncontrollably, I looked at her and said "Its okay mommy don't cry!" He also said I had a yeast infection and strep throat. When we got to the hospital, they took me into a room with about 10 nurses to give me a shot. The amount of people scared me more than the needle itself! My dad was at work and mom could not reach him for a few hours. A friend picked up my brothers and took them out to dinner then brought them back. They were so worried and fought when they had to go home. I spent the next week in the local hospital with different doctors keeping watch while my family learned about this new part of our life. My doc told my mom it would be better if I saw a certain pedi at the other clinic, so that is who I began to see. I was allowed to go home the next weekend, then was sent to Children's Hospital to meet my endo and get more education.

11. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

MY oldest was very ill. She went from the Dr. to the hospital. She was very sick. From what we were told, another day or 2, she would have been in serious, life threatening, condition. My youngest was diagnosed by me. Very early, she wasn't sick, wasn't really even showing excessive thirst or hunger yet, not peeing a lot. Just irritable and stinky breath.

12. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

I voted for option 3 also -- but I was actually the one who asked for the test. They agreed, did the test and called to arrange Hanna's hospital admit immediately. The dr. actually told me in his most serious face NOT to go home first but to take her IMMEDIATELY to the hospital and make arrangements to get her things once we had been admitted and seen by the ped. endo. Scared the CR@P outta me -- although I KNEW exactly how sick she was because I was the one who took her in there! *sigh* Thankfully she was only 509 right after breakfast and 411 by the time we got admitted so no DKA experience for us.

13. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Wow I am very impressed! Wouldn't it be great if all practices did this?!!