- advertisement -

Diagnosis Experience

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Feb 3, 2009.

?

When your child first showed the symptoms, what did the doctor say?

1. My doctor blew it off and said it was something other than diabetes.

36 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. My child was critically ill at diagnosis.

50 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. My doctor suggested that my child's symptoms were diabetes and tested for it right away.

97 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. I had to convince my doctor to test, but he/she quickly agreed to.

27 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

I chose option 2. Zane was critically ill at dx. We had been to the ER 5 days before dx for breathing difficulty, they said it was bronchitis. Then we spent several days at the Ped. before taking him to the Children's ER on the 5th day. He was extremely sick at this point.

I do not blame our Ped for not picking up on this sooner though. No one would have expected an 18 month old to be dx with T1. She had not seen one in all her years as a Ped. She said her youngest was 7 years old.

2. sariana

sariana Approved members

My mom did this when I was a kid after my dad was Diagnosed in his upper 20's. I used to play a lot of sports and I was always thirsty... which led to many bathroom runs... lol. I remember being annoyed at it at that time...

My mom passed about 20 months ago... But because she did all that when I was a kid, I KNEW the symptoms and was able to get my daughter tested and Diagnosed early enough to not have any issues thankfully. She may not thank you now for being careful, but she might later on...

The really odd thing is that my daughter looks JUST like me, who looks JUST like my mother... lol. I thank her EVERY time I look at my girl...

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I was in with my daughter and mentioned to our ped that Jack was drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot. He said that it was most likely behavioral. I called about a week later and told the nurse that he was still drinking and peeing a lot. She told me to keep track of how much he was drinking and call her back after the weekend. I called her back on that Monday with the info. She said, and I quote: "Oh. That IS a lot." Yeah. I'm not a moron. I know what A LOT is, and it's more than an extra glass of water here and there. So she got me an appointment FOR THE FOLLOWING TUESDAY.

I like our ped, but I'm still pissed. If I had called and said that he had a cough that wouldn't go away, they would have got him in the same day. But possible diabetes I have to fight to get him seen in a week? WTF?

4. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

We are very thankful we have a fantastic pedi. We are both really busy juggling jobs, the kid, etc. WE both had noticed some odd eating habits but wrote it off as toddler issues. We took him to a birthday party on a Sunday and noticed how withdrawn he was. He also drank 4 juice boxes within an hour. That next morning he slept 2 hours later and was soaked in pee. Isolated incident? Took an extra nap. Next morning same thing. On the third morning I called the pedi. They made an appt for next day at 4. Within an hour of my call the pedi called and said to drop everything and get him there. We were there within an hour. They brought us in the moment we walked in the door, took his BS (HI) and within 30 min we were rushed to the childrens hospital. Very scary for us, we didn't suspect diabetes, we thought we were going to get a lecture about proper eating habits. We were crushed and destroyed, it took a good 3 weeks or so for me to stop crying every day.

He's at the pedi right now for his 2yo checkup. We are thankful we have such an attentive pedi that listened to our concerns and didn't make light of our situation

5. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

My mother initially thought I was anorexic, and I got the "you'd better eat or you're going to have to get a stomach tube" lecture a couple times during the time period before my diagnosis. It didn't seem to matter that I ate and drank WAY more than everyone else in the household. When my weight dropped to around 90lbs in late August before my diagnosis, she made an appointment for my pediatrician and the only available date was in mid-October. I started going into DKA the evening of September 1st, and I began vomiting around 10pm that night. I continued to vomit several times an hour the entire night. The next morning, I was unable to keep any fluids down and I was continuing to dry heave and beg for water, so my mother decided to take me to the pediatrician. From the time that I got into my mother's car to go to the ped's office to getting an insulin drip in the hospital, it's a little hazy, but it seemed like I was at the office for only a few minutes before someone mentioned "diabetes" and I was on an ambulance to the county hospital. I know they tried to put in an IV at the office, but were unable to find a vein that would support it. I could have been there a couple hours, but it didn't feel like it.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I had to convince my doctor to test, but she did eventually. Turns out I was only hours/days away from a coma so, I'm glad I did. (BG and ketones were both off the scale).

7. bz'smom

bz'smom Approved members

I didn't vote because I had a suspicion that he had D with all the symptoms that he had. Bed wetting, lethargic, irritable, losing weight, so I took him in and she tested him. It came back HI, so they did blood work stat & sent us to Geisinger.

8. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Adin was in dka at diagnosis and I wish I had listened to my mommy instinct. As soon as I took Adin to the family doctor he looked at me with sadness and said "I suspect he has diabetes." and then had the nurse immediately check his bg, while I think he went and had the receptionist get the 3 closest children's hospital phone numbers for him to call. :( So he was on the ball I wasn't.

9. Ella's mom

Ella's mom Approved members

#3 for Ella. I dismissed her symptoms as "flushing" out a cold from her system. By the 4th day and being it a Friday called ped. office and got right in. I wanted to make sure Ella didn't have an ear infection as she was beyond fussy. Ears looked great but she had lost 2 pounds- that was dr. red flag. On went the pee bag and BG check was done. I at that point was onto him thinking diabetes then in walk ped. with another dr. that was all I needed to confirm and knew it was diabetes. Ella was not in DKA, did have large ketones, spent the weekend in hospital and so it began.

10. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I have a fantastic relationship with my family doctor. I had made an appointment because something was off with Emily and when we arrived at her appointment I told him I suspected diabetes based on her symptoms and he tested her right away.

My doctor is one of those rare, fabulous doctors who after I list my observations about whatever brings me or the kids to see him, asks me 2 questions. 1) What are your instincts telling you? and 2) What is your fear about this? He has often said that he has learned more about what direction to go with patients based on answers to those questions than any medical check list.

11. onthego

onthego Approved members

I didn't vote- we were suspicious of all the extra peeing and drinking and called in. They asked if we knew someone with a BG meter that we could borrow and test... His fasting BG was in range... big sigh of relief. Then I tested after breakfast and he was in hi 300s. I called back in and they had us come in 2 days later for bloodwork. The urine test confirmed it, but they waited for the bloodwork to come back before sending us to the hospital 3 days later. If I knew then what I know now, I would've been a wreck! But he never had ketones and never had scary high numbers so he wasn't really sick. We saw the nurse practitioner in a small clinic- the dr. there has Type 1. I felt like they took us seriously but looking back I'm surprised they were so relaxed about getting him to the hospital.

12. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

Jason had lost alot of weight, was drinking and peeing alot. He actually was at the Drs for a physical and when he found out how much weight he'd lost Dr. did bloodwork. When diagnosed he was at 714 and his A1c was 16 and he spent the weekend in the hospital and so it began for us. We do not go to that Dr. anymore because he said oh he can eat what he wants, just take insulin. Say what?

13. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Our experience was probably a bit different than others, as Phillip didn't show any of the usual signs. The only symptom he had was major weight loss. He wasn't drinking lots, or going to the toilet lots. He was just all bones. Weighed 17kg (37pounds) at age 8. I took him to the doctor because of that. The doctor thought it was something else (he forgot to tell me what) and only tested the blood sugar because of our family history. He always tested the whole family's blood sugar whenever we saw him, no matter what it was for. He hadn't seen Phillip for four years though, or we might have picked it up sooner. That first blood sugar came back as hi. I think we were lucky our doctor took notice of our family history (type 1 on my side, type 2 on ex dh's).

14. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Actually, he can eat whatever he wants and just take insulin. Of coarse there is pre dosing and knowing what kind of bolus to give. I very very rarely deny any food that Hailey ate before dx. Unless she is super super high or we are trying to do a fasting basal, if she ate it before D she can eat it now. If I didn't allow that I KNOW (from my own experience growing up in a home where no sugar was allowed) that she would more than make up for it once she is out on her own. That is when her risk of dka is even higher because I am not looking over her shoulder and I doubt she would bolus for it or bolus correctly :eek:

15. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

We were told to go home and drink lots of gatoraid and it would all be better. I asked for the test because DS had never been this sick before and had done the online research beforehand.

16. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

None of them. I knew excessive thirst was a symptom, but I was still convinced she had a stomach bug. I sent DH out to the pharmacy to get some pediasure. He talked to the pharmacist about DD's thirst and she offered to test her blood sugar right there. The meter just read "high" so we went straight to the doctor and to the hospital from there. I'm not sure if she was "critically ill." She had flu like symptoms, but I'm not sure it was "critical." We spent 2 days in the hospital with her.

17. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

Logan was in severe DKA and near death unbeknownst to us at the time. We thought it was the flu. It started on a Wednesday afternoon and we opted to wait until Thurday morning to take him to Pedi. Or I should say I did. DH thought we should go to ER Wed night, but I told him it was just the flu and Logan needed to get some sleep.

The next morning I got up and considered going to work and calling the Pedi to get an afternoon appt (what we usually do for illnesses). DH insisted that we take him in right away and we did.

Pedi walked us across skyway to ER saying he appeared to be in shock. In ER Logan was so dehydrated they could not find a vein to insert an IV and they had to do and I/O. They weren't communicating much with us and I was talking to my step father who is an ICU nurse on the phone and he immediately had me ask them if he was in DKA. They said yes and confirmed it was diabetes. They were not equipped to handle him so they slowly pushed fluids and waited on an ambulance to transfer him to Children's. There he spent 24 hours in the PICU. Late Thursday night the Dr came in and we asked again if he would be ok. We were told of the risks of Cerebral Edema for the first time and got really scared as someone finally gave us a glimpse of how serious it was. I spent the entire night in the PICU sleeping off and on occasionally in a chair becauses I refused to leave his side and when he woke up on Friday morning and started talking, pointing and recognizing things they called him a miracle. I am forever grateful that he is still with us. I still don't fully comprehend I think how close we really came to losing him. Had I gone to work and called the Pedi as was our usual sick day protocol, we would have lost him.

Looking back, he had excessive thirst and urination for weeks prior. He had been throwing up off and on his entire life of eating solids so we thought it was a gag reflex problem, but it has not happened since diagnosis. He was throwing the worst tantrums I have ever seen and thought he has serious behavioral issues. Looking back now, these any many more should have been red flags, but I had no idea.

18. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Both options 2 and 3- the doctor said I was lucky to be dead, but I was tested for D right away.

19. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

I think you mean you were lucky to be alive :D

20. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yeah, I do. Sorry.