- advertisement -

Diagnosis Experience

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Feb 3, 2009.

?

When your child first showed the symptoms, what did the doctor say?

1. My doctor blew it off and said it was something other than diabetes.

36 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. My child was critically ill at diagnosis.

50 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. My doctor suggested that my child's symptoms were diabetes and tested for it right away.

97 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. I had to convince my doctor to test, but he/she quickly agreed to.

27 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

There wasn't a option that really fit so I didn't vote. Hunter has been sick with a cold/virus/sore throat thing so the extra drinking was understandable I figured. Then the bed wetting started - he had had lots of changes and I was in the midst of a very nasty divorce so thought maybe...when he was up 4 times one night and still wet the bed I decided I had to do something. I had done some research and knew it could be D. I called my mom and said I am calling the Dr I think Hunter has D (no family history of type 1 at all). She ran over a urine strip from the school nurse and he was off the charts. I called the ped and said I'm pretty sure my son has D. They got us right in, confirmed D, meters said Hi, no ketones. We were sent to the children's hospital in the am. We had instructions to eat very low carb that night. When we got to the hospital in the am he had trace ketones and we started insulin immediately and then had training all day and went back on Monday for more training.

2. cynth873

cynth873 Approved members

I chose number three. I called the dr's office Monday morning during phone hour, and told the nurse my concerns. My son (one month away from his third birthday) had been sweating profusely at night and wetting to bed, which he hadn't done for fifteen or sixteen months. She set up an appointment within the hour and told me to be sure that he had something to drink as they would want a urine sample. I gave him chocolate milk :eek:. It was all he would drink. I took him in and explained my concerns to the dr. I had looked up his symptoms online, but never mentioned D to him. Anyway, he had a very concerned look on his face, left the room (I assume to get the results of the urine test) , came back and said, you need to get him to Children's Hospital ASAP, if you can't take him now, I will arrange for an ambulance. He never mentioned diabetes, he wanted the hospital to confirm w/blood tests. I thank that dr every time I see him for being on top of things. David's A1c at dx was 8.8, no ketones, no dehydration, but his sugar was over 500-I assume from his breakfast and chocolate milk!
    The endos in the hospital were awesome too. I told them that my sister was getting married in NE that weekend (we live in PA) and we were supposed to leave (drive) Wednesday morning. They said they didn't know if we'd make it or not, I told them fine, his health came first. We were admitted Monday afternoon and were discharged Wednesday afternoon, and left for our trip Thursday morning. Davey was IN the wedding Saturday afternoon! What a week it was!
    Cynthia
    Davey, 9/20/05 dx'd 8/25/08

3. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

I picked option 2 as Anna was really really sick at diagnosis. However, we took her into the Children's Hospital and told the triage nurser that our baby girl had diabetes. She asked how we knew, and we just said we did ( my lil bro is T1 and my FIL is also T1) and that she needed to be seen straight away. They took her in, checked her and told us she was diabetic. We had not checked her sugar at home at all. We took the 'long way' to the hospital, stopping to change 3 overflowing nappies... heck, from the carpark to the triage desk, she was already overflowing a nappy, dripping on the floor.

I did however check her urine months earlier (she has enlarged kidneys, regular infections), she must have been about 3 or 4 months old, around the time of her first seizure... and she had sugar in her urine... I though mmm thats strange, next time a checked a few days later it was gone, so I thought nothing more about it until she was daignosed at 10 months old.

My younger brother was also diagnosed by my parents. I remember them taking him to the ED after our own childhood GP yelled at Mum for asking them to find out if he had D... and Mum said his BSL is 26mmols/L (Dad has D too)... the triage nurse shrug and said ' so whats your problem', after a coupla hours in ED the Dr called him in, checked his urine and was ruashed to the children's hospital. This is a year after intially becoming sick on and off and mum suspecting diabetes.

4. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

We suspected diabetes before we made her an appointment. So when I called and made the appointment I gave them her symptoms and told them that I thought it was diabetes. We went in for our appointment and the nurse quickly checked her weight and the doctor came in, checked her blood sugar and urine and he told us he suspected that it was diabetes. He called the children's hospital so they would anticipate our arrival and sent us there for an official diagnosis.

5. Denise

Denise Approved members

My doc was suspicious...tested urine as she had urinary symptoms and they tested for ketones w/ the urinalysis just to be sure. I am one of the lucky ones. I had been suspicious already. When she came in to tell me she said "This appointment is going to take a different tone now...Molly is diabetic. She has high ketones in her urine." I shook my head yes...and she responded "I had a feeling you were suspicious of it." and she was right. We were sent to our ER for insulin drip and awaited an ambulance to take us to Riley Hospital in Indianapolis. I have a fantastic ped team and really cannot complain. They are the best and have been supportive.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I couldn't vote - there wasn't an other.

I was suspicious of diabetes and had a meter, so I tested and got a number. Called the after hours # for the pediatrician who recommended I take her to the ER. They did a retest in the ER and red-tagged her back to emergency.

7. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

For the past year I have always thought that it was my fault that Morgan was so seriously ill when he was dx'd. It feels like to me, if I had been more alert I would have known something was wrong sooner, instead ended up in the e.r. with a b.g. of over 1,000 and in the PICU for 5 days. It doesn't matter what they told me, I still think it was my fault he got so sick.

8. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

15 months old, in a period of about 2 months she had rotavirus, upper respiratory infection, and pneumonia. i took her in several times and the weight loss, etc was attributed to all of the above.

husband was in iraq, i took the kids and moved home to PA. the next day saw a new pedi, pneumonia again, recheck a few days later cause i said something is not right. sent us right to the hospital for bloodwork. BG of i think 1085, direct admission to the PICU.

9. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

Hunter was dx'd in the hottest month on record, at the time, in Indiana. We were in the throws of soccer/football and thought the thirst was due to the heat. But, after a weekend of wetting the bed, which he had NEVER done, we knew something was really wrong. We were lucky. Hunter's dad is a chemist and had one year of medical school under his belt and tested Hunter's urine. And a marvelous ped doctor who did her residency at Riley. Plus she is a family friend..........she suggested it right away but Bryon, my husband knew also. We were very fortunate. Hunter's BGs were a little over 1100 and was in DKA. I can only imagine if we didn't have a ped who knew what to look for and on top of her game what could have happened to Hunter.

10. MichS

MichS Approved members

Somewhere between 3 and 4 for me. Some of you catch the diagnosis on your own because of another D child. We have friends who have D and I asked her, "If I suspect D, how do I convince the Dr.". She said, borrow Grandpa's meter and test". I went into ER told them my son's bg was HI on the meter. Immediatly they did their own test, and a dr. confirmed a few minutes later. So, no doubt or question or suprise for us. And, thankfully, his symptoms were drinking and eating lots, and peeing the bed. No unconscienceness, no major incidents. Thankfully we caught it before big trouble. I hope.

11. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

We were in Disney World and my husband noticed my son was peeing alot. I thought it was because it was hot and he was drinking alot but we kept watching him. The next week he seemed OK. The following week he was running in the house from school, peeing and drinking like crazy. My mom said it was puberty. He felt urges so he would pee ( I know..ridiculous) or a urinary tract. My husband and I though maybe D but hoped it was urinary. We both took him to the docter and said we were concerned it may be D. He tested his urine and found keytones and said he would call the hospital now and let them know we were coming and the name of the doctors who would be taking care of us. Take him now, only stop home for clothes and than go. He is not sick now, but that can change very quickly and be prepared for a week stay in the hospital.

When we got there he was 378. Tests confirmed D. Thank God he never was sick. We stayed in the hospital for 3 days for training.

12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

((((hugs))))) Me too :( I have so much guilt. I look back at pictures of Hailey and she looks SICK, really really sick. At the time I just didn't see it. I almost killed her. It wasn't the dr's fault, I didn't make an appt until the friday that she ended up dx. Ugh, the gray skin, the weird smelling pee (like maple syrup), we went to the zoo 4 weeks before and my dh yelled at Hailey because she had to pee ALL THE TIME but it was really really hot, the other girls were drinking a lot also so it just didn't hit me. The Sunday b4 dx Hailey was bragging about how she drank a TON of pop at her 4H party. The pedi that dx her at the hospital pulled me aside when I finally got to the hospital and told me that it was bad, that she had never seen a living adult with blood so acidic, let alone a child. I remember laying in her hospital bed in the picu with her, holding her, crying, praying that she would live. I remember so many people coming in and out talking about brain swelling and organ damage. God it was so horrible. I should have seen it sooner and I think this is the #1 reason that I watch Kenzie so closely. She is mimicking EVERYTHING Hailey did the years before her dx and I WILL NOT EVER allow another one of my girls to get that sick again, it was my fault.

13. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Please don't feel that way. Unless you knew someone with D or maybe had a medical background, the symptons could be easily missed or thought to be something else. We can't know everything. Sometimes, as we have read here, doctors don't even diagnose D immediately and they should know. {{HUGS****

14. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

My bil is Type 1 but told us nothing more than it is no big deal, I never saw him test his bg or count carbs so I believed him. I have 1 year of nursing school and am a registered EMT-B but was only ever taught about Type 2, the only thing I knew about Type 1 is that they took insulin and were on a diet :( I have the background, I should have known.

15. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I voted the last one, but none quite fit. I saw the symptoms, and Jayden developed nail polish remover breath! I went online - actually found this site, believe it or not - and everything I read said DKA, DKA. I went to Walgreen's, bought Ketostix, and had Jayden pee on a stick. It was the darkest color. I called the primary care doc (we don't have a pediatrician) at 1:30pm, they saw her at 4pm, we were in the ER before 6. I, too, think we had a long, slow, onset, and I am thankful every day that God gave me the insight and the mommy instinct to get her taken care of. I only wish it had been sooner, before the A1C was 13.4% :-(.

Our most amazing diagnosis story, though, is that both the paramedic who was working as office staff that day and did the first finger stick AND the nurse we had when Jayden was admitted to the hospital were both type 1 and on insulin pumps! Amazing that we met two type 1s in such a short period of time when we knew none before.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

First- Nicole and Holly - IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT! TIME TO LET THE GUILT GO! As parents, especially with our first kids, we are constantly told that we are overprotective and over worried - by doctors, nurses, parents, and yes - even our kid's fathers...I heard IT NON STOP! So, everytime that I have felt something wrong, I tried to put it off and see if it would go away! That led to my then 5 months old having a weekend of seizures, that led to my youngest almost loosing a kidney due to a kidney infection, etc, etc, etc...we all experience guilt becuase we don't listen to our mommy voice becuase we are CONSTANTLY told that our Mommy voice is wrong!

As for diagnosis, my ex said I needed to wait a couple more days! Yeah - right! She had the stomach flu over Thanksgiving. She never really seemed to bounce back. January 2nd - I made an appointment thinking it was a recurrence of her Urinary Tract Reflux and she was getting a kidney infection. This is were Ex talked me into waiting - so we went to the Doc on the 5th. Did I have nay idea it was D? Nope - not even after her step grandma mentioned to me that she had some of the symptoms! (I always ask myself why didn't StepGrandma - who has seen 3 kids be diagnosed - school secretary - insist I take her in? I guess she was afraid of stepping on my toes or something???)

So - there I was thinking kidney infection, they had her pee in the cup, and me and my two girls were waiting in the room playing some kind of game. The newly graduated PA beebopped back in, all smiles, and said in her little chipper voice - yep - it's diabetes :eek:

She didn't take me out of the room to tell me, she didn't say it all somber, she just smiled and told me right infront of my two kids...then looked shocked when we all started crying!!!!! Well, the ped walked in and grabbed her out of the room - and proceeded to chew her up one side and down the other. However, I have never gone back to that ped's office becuase of how the PA told us!

But - I am grateful that she checked, and that we drove through a blizzard to the Major Hospital in Portland, and that she was not in mega DKA, and that she left the hospital 2 days later (It was a Thursday - January 5th - major snow storm, I remember every.little.detail. of that day - except what her blood sugar reading and A1c was!)

17. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

{{{{hugs******** back at ya, Nicole. Sometimes being a parent sucks! It is the most wonderful thing in the world, but circumstances can make it feel terrible. The night I took Morgan to the e.r., I almost didn't. I thought I would wait until the next morning and just take him to the ped., but dh said take him to the e.r. tonight so it doesn't get worse overnight. We thought he had a respiratory infection. I had to call Mike at about 2 am and I said to him, "They are telling me Morgan has diabetes." Mike says, "You're kidding!" Me, "No, that's what they are saying. I don't understand how this could have happened."

Now I know that if I hadn't have taken Morgan in that night he probably wouldn't have been alive the next day. That is my fault.

Nicole you are a great mom! Guess what, it all turned out okay in the end, I guess we should focus on that.

18. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I chose "My doctor suggested that my child's symptoms were diabetes and tested for it right away. " It isn't completely accurate. In retrospect, he probably had something going on for months but we didn't know it at the time so I wouldn't have taken the issues to the doctor. When it really hit, it hit. He was sleeping constantly when he came home from grandparent's house (they said he was the same way there-why they didn't call I don't know) and only woke to drink. I thought his throat was sore. He was still in diapers so wetting wasn't a clear sign. I got him into the doctor that Monday and he had lost a little weight. The doctor told me to put him back on whole milk...but that he thought he was depressed (he was 2) but wanted to send him to the lab. The lab results were clearly diabetes. The next day in the hospital the pediatrician called me to tell me that he was relieved it was diabetes as he had really thought it was lukemia but didn't want to alarm me, hence the depression excuse to get me to the lab. So he acted on the problem but diabetes wasn't really on the radar.

19. jacobandhannah

jacobandhannah Approved members

Jacob had been getting up to use the bathroom several times at night. He was also really tired alot. He was diagnosed on Nov 1. When we were out on halloween he had to use the bathroom 3-4 times. I took him to the doctor the next day thinking maybe he had a kidney infection. The doctor listened to all his symptoms and did a urine test. He said there was sugar in his urine so he wanted to do blood work. Blood sugar was higher that their meter could read. He called ahead to the Endo and sent us straight to the ER.

We have no family history of diabetes, but we do have other autoimmune disorders. Looking back now he had been sick for a while. The doctor told us if we wouldn't have brought him that day he would have been in a coma soon.

I now check our daughter whenever she starts to show some signs. I may be being overly paranoid but I don't want to take any chances.

Our pediatrician was very quick at running tests on Jacob. I am very thankful for him and his quick response.

20. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

pedi said it was a tummy bug or something and sent us to the ER cause he was dehydrated and needed an iv. first doc who saw him in the ER knew it was D, he was in DKA and hours away from death:(