- advertisement -

Diagnosis Experience

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Feb 3, 2009.

?

When your child first showed the symptoms, what did the doctor say?

1. My doctor blew it off and said it was something other than diabetes.

36 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. My child was critically ill at diagnosis.

50 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. My doctor suggested that my child's symptoms were diabetes and tested for it right away.

97 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. I had to convince my doctor to test, but he/she quickly agreed to.

27 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I voted for the second option, it was touch and go there for a few days in the PICU, after the ER visit where they all freaked when they did the blood draw and the finger stick..

2. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann was 13 that summer and was always thirsty, peeing and tired. I attributed all the symptoms to the heat and humidity we were having and that she was outside a lot helping her dad and playing softball. Then she went on a trip by herself to CO to visit her 20 yr old sister.She called on Sunday and said Reann was sick, but they thought it was altitude sickness. She called the next night and REann was still sick--said it was lasting too long to be altitude sickness. We told her to take Reann to the ER that night or the next morning. They waited till morning. She called us at 7 am our time (6 am in Denver) and hysterically told us Reann had Juvenile diabetes and was in a coma. She had found her on the floor about 5 am. They called an ambulance. The machine at the first hospital would not read high enough. They transferred her to another hospital and her bg was over 900. The endo asked Robyn what time she usually got up and she said at 8am. He told her that would have been too late. Oldest dau and I borrowed a decent car and drove out there right away. She only spent 3 1/2 days in the hospital. Endo told us she was the sickest patient he had ever treated that recovered so quickly. Needless to say it added a lot more white hair to my head. Sad think is that 4 yrs before I had dx'd myself with type 2 and knew all the symptoms. I felt guilty about that for a long, long time.

3. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

I voted the second option but could have voted for both one and two. We saw the same family practice doctor repeatedly over a 2 1/2 week period and were repeatedly dismissed. It wasn't until I sought out a second opinion from a ped. that we got some proper care, she knew within 10 minutes of seeing Zeb and asking me questions what was going on and sent us right to the P.I.C.U.. His blood sugar was 'only' 358 but his ketones were extremely high and he was so dehydrated he had to have the I.V. in his neck because they couldn't get to a vein. He was 18 months old and by the time we got the diagnosis had stopped walking completely and was barely talking, within a week on insulin he started walking again and looking like a fat happy baby.......I too am grateful every day that we live with this disease in this time and not 100 years ago when the out come was too awful to consider.

4. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

I chose the last one but it wasn't the doctor it was the receptionist/nurse. I had actually called and asked them for an appointment and told them his symptoms. I think I even mentioned that I thought it was D. They gave me an appointmen for March 9th or something like that and that was at the end of January. So I called back and said that I didn't want to wait that long and they told me to take him in and they would draw blood so the results would be back in time for my appointment. We had stuff going on and not knowing what kind of danger I was putting my son in I waited a couple of weeks and didn't take him in until Feb 15:( They still weren't going to test his blood sugar with a meter. They just did a blood draw and were going to send us on our way. So I asked her to please test it and she did. His fasting was 355. He had large ketones when we got to the ER.

5. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Kylee's doctor blew me off and kept saying he thought it was strep(no sore throat, redness, very low fever that had only started that morning). I pushed for her to be tested for diabetes multiple times during the appointment and he eventually agreed(and also did a strep test), although not happily and acted like it was a waste of his time. After seeing the UA results, he had the lab tech poke her finger and got a reading that was really high. He turned to me and said "I guess we know what this means" or something like that, never "Your child has type 1 diabetes" and sent us back to the exam room to wait for 30 minutes. Then he really screwed up and sent us home with a 70/30 insulin pen and instructions to give her x amount of units at night and in the morning(no instruction on injections), a food guide(glycemic index type thing) that he didnt explain to me, perscriptions for a meter, strips and more insulin and told me I would need to schedule an appointement with an endocrinologist and a nutritionist. She had also begun Kussmaul breathing and he asked me why she was breathing like that. A few hours later she was in the ER in our town, nearly comatose, waiting to be life flighted to Reno. The doctor she had seen that morning had spoken with the endo in Reno who apparently told him how badly he had just screwed up and he called me to tell me to get her to the ER immediately. She spent 5 days in the PICU and another 2 days in a regular room. I later spoke with one of the flight nurses that was there during the flight to Reno(I went to high school with her) and she told me that before they got to Reno they were pretty sure Kylee was going to go into cardiac arrest and were ready to shock her. Its scary to think how close we were to losing her. So, she was critically ill and had a doctor who blew it off.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

interesting poll

7. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

It makes me so MAD. D is NOT a rare disease, it is one of the most common chronic childhood diseases. The symptoms are usually quite obvious. So WHY? are doctors so reluctant to test for it? WHY? doesn't it ever seem to cross their minds that the symptoms fit D? WHY? do kids have to get critically ill and even die because doctors reject the suggestion that they might have D and refuse to even do a simple, cheap test to rule it out? I have little faith left in the medical profession :mad::mad::mad: >end rant< :eek:

8. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

I started suspecting "something" was wrong, he had all the classic symptoms but my brain wouldn't wrap around it. I called our pediatrician on a Friday, for an appointment, and told the receptionist all of his symptoms, she then got the nurse and I retold her all of his symptoms, and she said to bring him in immediately that they would work him in.

Once we got to the ped's office, we were in the waiting area for maybe five minutes, they did the urine test, then had us go across the hall for blood tests. As soon as the tests came back, the ped said that she was calling the hospital and that they would be waiting on us to show up.

Then she grabbed my face and told me to hold it together until I got him to the hospital--she said that is when I can break down, but right then I needed to get him to the hospital.

She was terrific, I really wish we could have kept her as our ped--unfortunately she knew nothing about diabetes and freely admitted it.

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

S=I picked the 3rd option, thank goodness too, because I knew NOTHING about D. I wasn't even there, after chewing out my ex for not taking Seth to the Doc earlier like he promised me, he fina;;y took him in and was sent straight to the Hosp. BTW, I wasn't there because I was on my honeymoon in Maui:rolleyes:

10. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

I called Aidan's ped on a Monday, told him Aidan had lost weight, was peeing like crazy and only wanted to drink and not eat.....he told me that he would see him sometime next week to check his sugar.....that following Friday Aidan was rushed to the ER in DKA and barely coherent. I voted for option 1, I feel that with what I told him he should have seen him immediately. Needless to say we don't see him anymore!

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I picked the critically ill option, because Ian was severely dehydrated, BG in the mid-00s and underweight when he was dx. Our ped was on duty that night at ER, and from the symptoms DH told him, he immediately did a BG test.
    The thing is he had not gained much weight for about 1 year, but then he was born with an anomaly which kind of complicated things prior to dx. Neither we nor the ped could have imagined it would've been d. No family history, the drinking and peeing a lot only happened a few days prior to dx. The underweight issue had been a problem for a while, but like I said, the physical problem (non-d related) made it hard to think it could've been d:( Looking back is very difficult, it really is.

Interesting poll though.

12. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I need to choose the first two.

13. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I chose #3 because it was the closest, but in reality I had a gut feeling and confirmed it with the symptoms online. I didn't tell my husband what I suspected because I thought he'd blow me off. He needed a doctor to confirm this, not a wife.

When we went to the doctor that morning and Alex had to pee, I was the one who told the nurse to ask the doctor if they wanted a urine sample. Not sure if he would have asked otherwise, but I knew enough to bring up the issues of the constant urination and insatiable thirstiness to trigger the diabetes diagnosis.

It was a toss-up between #3 and #2. Alex was in bad shape at diagnosis; her A1C was 14.7%.

14. Noel

Noel Approved members

I voted for option #3. Since my DH is type 1 and had been for many years, we actually tested him and then called the Dr. Since he test 586 and then 546 there wasn't really a question. We all knew he had d and just proceeded from there.

15. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Number 3. We've had a very positive experience with all aspects of the medical system.

We had put the weight loss down to losing the baby fat (age 7). His older brother had gone through a similar transition and is now skinny as a bean pole.

Over the xmas holidays visiting family we noticed the excessive drinking/peeing and the bed wetting started. As soon as we got home we took him into the our family doctor, hoping for a urinary tract infection but suspecting dx.

We don't have a ped. our family doctor (who we all see) splits his time between gp practice and working in surgery in our small town hospital. He did a bg test, gave him insulin and arranged for us to go to the diabetic clinic at the children's hospital the next morning. We were lucky and caught it early.

The staff at the clinic has been great with the training and with the help early on when we had to call for advice on treatment. The endo is really good with kids (and parents).

We even lucked out with our local pharmicist. He has an adult daughter who is diabetic so he know exactly what we were going through and what we needed. When we went in there the first day still in shock, he just took over and arranged everything for us.

Unfortunately he recently sold out his small pharmacy to one of the big chains that moved into town.

16. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

My option wasn't there.

I told the doctor's office I wanted blood work done before the appointment. Maybe not so smart. They could have checked with a meter (if they had one). Receptionist didn't see a problem with delaying the appointment for the blood work to come in.

ETA: I could vote. Now I see - he was was critically ill at diagnosis.

17. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

I answered for Grace's dx that the Dr blew us off, but the answer for me would be that I was critically ill at dx.

Grace had some bg's in the mid 200's for a couple of weeks in summer 03, but the only symptom it seemed was bedwetting... Dr then blew it off and wouldn't do anything. Stupid me listened... I kept checking her though, and after those initial couple of weeks, her bgs were fine for a loooong time, even though she continued to wet the bed (still does now..) Then two weeks after her 5th birthday, she suddenly had symptoms in one day and I checked her on my meter: "HI." Took her to ER, they transferred her to nearby children's hospital, where we got to see my former Ped Endo.

18. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

Number One! Mike complained of having to pee often, was occaisonally wetting his bed (!) and drank alot, also kept getting rashes in his private area. We think this went on for at least 6 months, maybe more.

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We were on vacation and Abby definitely was not herself. She would fall asleep at the drop of the hat, drank excessively, peed excessively, had a gray look to her skin.

Drove home (we were 2hrs away), explained the symptoms to the doc. He told Abby, blow in my face a sad look came over him. He said I need you to go downstairs right now for some bloodwork and urine test. Soon after, we were called back in with our usual gp, his nurse, the doc who was attending and they told us to drive to the hospital now (it was about a mile up the road), don't go home to get anything.

The rest is history.

Side note: Abby had been drinking alot prior to vacation. She also had diaper rash bad (only wore pullups then). When I called triage nurse, I remember her saying are you worried about high blood sugar, and I said yes. She said not to worry. If only I had listened to that little voice.

20. sariana

sariana Approved members

I choose option 4... It was not quite correct, but it was the closest. I knew the symptoms from my dad. I had to tell the doctor to test her a few times, which he begrudgingly did....

I had to break down and tell him that I Had to know for my own peace of mind that it was NOT what I thought it was... The twit thought that I was looney...

Then when the test came back, he came in and said "Good call mom!" WHAT???? Good call????? *Grumbles* it still upsets me now a year later and I will NOT go back to that one doctor again in that practice :( The rest of the docs are nice... But this one didnt want to believe that it could be Diabetes.

We were very lucky compared to what I have been reading from other parents. We apparently caught it early... No Dehydration at all. She stayed in the hospital only so that we would know how to give her the meds... lol