- advertisement -

Diagnosis Experience

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Feb 3, 2009.

?

When your child first showed the symptoms, what did the doctor say?

1. My doctor blew it off and said it was something other than diabetes.

36 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. My child was critically ill at diagnosis.

50 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. My doctor suggested that my child's symptoms were diabetes and tested for it right away.

97 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. I had to convince my doctor to test, but he/she quickly agreed to.

27 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Call me curious. Call me a cynic. Whatever. But I'd like to know.

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

You read my mind.

3. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I voted for the 3rd option.

Because Tyler was 11, his symptoms could also be attributed to growth. I actually told the doctor that I had suspicions that it could be D, he agreed but also said it could be growth.
    But he did the test there and then, it was off the charts and he was on the phone to the hospital arranging admission.
    Once the hospital did the A1c (17) they said that along with the blood sugar test results, there was no need for other tests to confirm the dx.

Apparently if we had left it another day or so, he would have been in a coma.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd probably had a long onset, and no honeymoon. She was throwing up sick for two days when I tooke her to her PED, but by that time she was is DKA

5. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

I can't answer the poll, we tested Phoenix at home and took him in, no dr involved, more gut

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I chose option 3 because it was closest. What actually happened was I took her to urgent care, stated that I wanted a urinalysis done, and explained her symptoms. The hospital is right across from Joslin though, so maybe they were more aware and willing to test for diabetes.

7. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

... just don't call me late for dinner.

(Back to the OP we had on sick and one we dx-ed ourselves)

8. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

I am so thankful that we have a group of peds that are on top of things.

After about a week of drinking crazy amts of water and wetting her bed, I called our ped's office at 9:30a to set up an appointment. I told the receptionist Janie's symptoms and set an appointment for 4:00 that afternoon. About 15 minutes later, the ped's nurse called back and said they wanted to see her as soon as possible. I had my suspicions, the nurse calling back so soon confirmed them. I picked Janie up from school and arranged to pick my husband up at a park-n-ride.

A urine sample was taken and they did a finger poke. She wasn't terribly high, and thankfully wasn't very sick at that point. Our ped's office called the Barbara Davis Center and we headed down immediately. We were able start training and go home that night. Went back the next two days for more training.

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I voted blew it off as something else. Lia had stomach aches and was crying a lot. At first that was all. I took her to the doctor who said it was anxiety and to see a counselor. This was about a week before Christmas so that was on my to do list for the next month. Over the break she seemed a bit better but then started drinking and peeing more. But not a ton and that stopped. School started again and bad tummy aches and hysterical crying on and off all day. So I called the doctor and told her I really thought something more was going on. No, don't bring her in, it's just anxiety. Two days later I called and told them I was bringing her in, so they might as well make an appt. At this point I was just starting to suspect D myself and really I didn't think it was. So in a way I can see how they missed it. But still.... Anyway at this point the one doctor said maybe it was appendicitis. Between that and the fact that I mentioned Lia was peeing a bit more she decided to run blood/urine tests. They called me two days later to say to take her to the ER as it was juvenile diabetes.

Looking back I can see subtle symptoms for a few months prior to that. My thing is that I wish the lists of symptoms would include nausea and behavioral changes as those were the biggies for us and I've heard of other children having those.

10. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Probably really really long onset but the end result was probably a lot my fault. I am sure you read my other post but, almost dead, mostly my fault. Having a bil w/D did not help us at all as he told us nothing and my EMS cert did nothing as everything I knew was about Type 2. Hailey's symptoms were masked by symptoms that had occured for YEARS. Bed wetting, years, drinking tons of water, years, weight loss, she did this off and on for years but the last couple of weeks she looked rough (attributed to puberty/growth spurt). I can now look back and remember being extremly mad at Hailey for wetting the bed so bad she had fruit flies (had been fighting them because of a batch of bananas I brought home) in her room :eek: Lots and lots of things I SHOULD have seen. mostly my fault, lucky we didn't lose her....

11. Grace

Grace Approved members

:( My ds was at the ped a week before his official diagnosis. At that point, *I* was worried about all the water he was drinking (literally... gallons) and going to the bathroom. Ped didn't test and said it was just because ds was sick (walking pneumonia).

By the following week he was MUCH worse. I was exhausted... we'd just come off months of fighting a health battle with his sister and then they both got pneumonia AGAIN back-to-back... Since the ped said it was nothing to worry about the week before, I figured ds just needed a different antibiotic... I was going to wait another day before taking him back.

I'm crying just remembering.... Thankfully, my dh (former PA) was home because he had the same pneumonia as the teens and he put his foot down. Said ds had to go that day. One more day would have been too many. :(

And the rest is history...

We've moved SO much. In all that time I have only trusted this man and one other ped. He really is one of the best... will do tests just to be sure. I'm still, to this day, stunned that he missed the call with ds.

12. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

We were really blessed to have a great pediatrician. When Alli pee'd 3x in 45 minutes I called the pedi right away. They got us in immediately. She did a urine test and told me straight away that Alli had d. We went right to the hospital. I am forever grateful that our doctor caught it. When we came home from the hospital we took the pedi flowers. She and I both cried in her office. She still has the card that came with flowers hanging on her wall.

Now that I am thinking about it maybe flowers every year on Alli's anniversary are in order. She saved my daughter's life!!!
    I think this story that inspired brensdad to start this poll is a moment to reflect on how truly blessed we are to have our chidren alive and well.

Thank you to all the great pediatricians out there!!:D

13. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Here's a unique one...I was scared to death it was a cancer relapse. He had just finished chemo for Hodgkin's 5 months prior. Was losing weight, very little appetite, wet the bed a couple of times. Went in for his monthly Onc. visit and full CBC. I even asked, what was his blood sugar last month? Had been a little high (198). Onc called 2 hours later and said bring him to ER immediately, he will be admitted, blood glucose is 450.

I was sooooo relieved it was diabetes and not a cancer relapse. I am happy for every day with my boy, and he feels great and has gained weight with insulin. I am sorry for all of his suffering, but he's still with us, and that's all that matters.

14. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I ticked that the Dr blew us off with something else which meant that I could have ticked she was critically in DKA by the time we got sorted in hospital :( I haven't forgiven that Dr yet.

15. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

After a couple weeks of peeing like crazy, wetting the bed and noticing weight loss I called the ped to ask them if they would test for D. Don't know why, I don't know anyone else with D. Call it a God thing. My ped got me in right away, did a urinalysis ketones were ++. They did a finger poke with the other ped's meter (he is also type 1, which I didn't know) the meter said HI. They tested again on a second meter, again said HI. They then sent us to children's hospital & research center, Oakland. Never told us how serious it was. His A1c was 12.5. We were lucky he was not sick at the time but we were told he would have gone down hill fast.

16. Tena

Tena Approved members

Em was seen by a NP for a yeast infection that was pretty bad. After treating for a week and no change the NP wanted to test for thyroid and D. Turned out to be D.

She actually had all the "classic" symptoms, but it was all easily explained away at the time. Marching band from 3-5 in the heat = thirsty thirsty+water = urinating Lots of Marching/ Freshman in HS= sleeping alot. Anyway looking back I can easily see that she had all the symptoms but didn't know what to look for and like I said easily explained away.

17. buggle

buggle Approved members

Brendan had weight loss for months -- muscles shrinking away. But we thought he was just getting lanky. For months before, he'd get up once every night to pee, but I didn't think much of it since he drank a lot in the evening. When he got up to pee 3 times in the night, I looked it up on the web and saw that it fit D. I called the phone nurse at our ped's practice and asked if we could just bring him by for a urine test. She said he needed to see the doctor. But, they didn't say to bring him right then -- this was late afternoon and she said to come in the morning. That night, he peed 4 times, so I started getting really worried, but still thought I was overreacting.

Next morning we went to the dentist and then the ped. If I'd found this forum, I wouldn't have been so relaxed about it. He had sugar in his urine, so they sent us for a fingerpoke. It was HI. They drew blood (BG was ~650) and sent us to Barbara Davis about an hour away. We only know his A1c was higher than 15, since the rapid machine didn't read higher than that. Somehow, he had no ketones. I really don't know how long he would've lasted before he got into serious trouble. He seemed to keep going along with high sugars for ages. Looking back and talking to teachers, we realized that the entire school year, he'd had no stamina or strength. He burst into tears a lot and wasn't himself. It was his first year of school and he'd just moved countries, so we kept thinking there were other causes. I'm just so grateful we caught it before he collapsed and died. He suffered a long time before we finally caught on and I'm so guilty about that.

I'm so grateful for insulin every single day. I often think what it would've been like if it were 100 years ago. :(

18. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm not sure where to vote.. I took Kaylee in.. he spent 20minutes explaining what else her symptoms COULD be.. he didn't believe she had D BUT he couldn't let her go without testing.. he was very very shocked and very very glad he did the simple urine test..

19. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I periodically take cards and flowers to the pedi and the endo. We've had our pedi for over 20 years, through a celiac diagnosis and a diabetes diagnosis (neither of which she expected even though she tested), and a near death, and she always takes the time to make sure I'm OK after she's thrown something heavy at me. The endo has been in the practice at least as long; I remember seeing her when Jenn was being put through so many tests prior to the celiac dx. She is the one who empowered me to 1) trust myself when dealing with D and 2) call for help when I need to.

We've been with the HMO for 21+years and I get the shakes everytime DH changes jobs and we face the possibility of different insurance.

20. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Connor's diagnosis was really none of the above selections because we suspected his symptoms at home due to wetting the bed and extreme thirst, and then tested his blood sugar at home with Brian's meter. We knew immediately that a high 400 number meant diabetes. We just called it in to the pediatrician, who called ahead for us at the ER. We were "lucky" to have the meter at home and an experienced family member.