- advertisement -

diabetic ketoacidosis - that was close

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tripper, May 9, 2008.

1. Tripper

Tripper Approved members

We had a full blown DK event last week. I landed in Atlanta returning from Mexico and turned on my cell phone to hear that my wife is on the way to the hospital, and I have half a country left to travel. Delta broke my bag and lost the tag, TSA and Delta staff were completely non accommodating on getting me through the security recheck lines, and then the airplane broke, Can it get any worse...

I made it to his bedside at 1AM. He recovered well and by breakfast time could keep food down. By lunch he was beating nurses at air hockey. By 5 pm he wanted more of the hospital food!

What brought it on, we couldn't identify. The doctors say "it just happens, we never know." The hospital staff was surprised that this was the very first time he had been admitted since diagnosis 4 1/2 years ago. I hope to never see him in that condition again.

2. coni

coni Approved members

Wow! I'm glad things turned out okay. I'm not sure how I would have felt having a child in the hospital and me out of the country even though I know my spouse could handle everything. It's just that I'd want to be with my kid.

That's interesting that the doc said sometimes DKA just happens. Have you discovered anything that you think may have caused it?

Again, glad everything turned out fine!

3. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Oh wow. It's scary to know it can "just happen."

I'm glad he's better.

4. KhaosFaerie

KhaosFaerie Approved members

I'm glad to hear they are ok. I know how it is for a person to go through DKA. I have went through it three times in the almost 8 years that I have been diagnosed. Not fun. All three in ICU. First triggered by intestinal flu (June 2001), Second triggered by binge drinking (April 2007), and Third unknown trigger (July 2007). Awful close together. Not sure why though. All to close especially the last time.