- advertisement -

Diabetic for a Day

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I need some simple guidelines and wanted your input.
    I have a pretty big bunch of girlfriends that all go out and do things together. All of them know about Abby, a couple of them are nurses so they understand it a little bit better, but most are clueless. I don't mean that in a harsh or uncaring way, they just don't get all that is involved.

I got this idea off sixuntilme
    I'm going to ask if anyone of them would like to be a diabetic for a day and see if I get any takers. My husband is making a dummy pump out of wood, I'm going to give them some test strips, p0ker, infusion set (a type that we don't use), calorie king book, glucose tabs, and a log (for food/ carb count/ buttons to push/ and blood sugar readings).
    I'd like to set make believe guidelines for them to follow- such as anything below an 80 to treat as a low blood sugar. Take 2 glucose tabs and stay seated for 10 minutes. Or for a high blood sugar make them drink a bottled water or do 10 jumping jacks. Or something to that effect.
    Do you have any idea what kind of number range to give them or some questions I can have them answer when they are through? Or any other simple but to "make a statement" so they can walk away from this understanding something a little better?
    I plan on posting the results on my blog

2. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Have them order their food but when they test they are too low & have to treat & wait 15 minutes then test again (maybe even repeat) while their food sits & gets cold.

Set alarms to get up 2 or 3 times during the middle of the night, turn on lights, check bg's, & then try to go back to sleep knowing they'll be doing the same thing again in a couple of hours.

Have them sit out of whatever fun thing everyone else is doing until their bg comes back up into normal range.

3. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

If they are actually testing themselves, I would say anything over 100 would be a "high", since anything they do will be a good number.

I think this is great if they are willing to do it. What good friends you have.:cwds:

4. bisous

bisous Approved members

I love this idea. :) I think that school personnel should have to do this for a day! No really, I would hope that my friends would take me up on this but I just honestly don't know if anyone would.

Definitely share the results if you don't mind. I'd love to see how it turns out. :)

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think it's a great idea! Hope they will be up for it.
    I have no ideas, as my brain is on standby right now;) but wanted to wish you good luck.

Oh yes...carrying the bag around all the time, with everything in it:D

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Lanae, what's your blog link? I read this on Kerri's blog too. I think it's a great idea, and think you have the most awesome friends if they participate. :cwds::cwds:

7. samheis

samheis Approved members

That is an awesome idea-hope you get some takers! Nothing new to suggest, eberyone has come up with some neat 'rules'.

8. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

I would talk to your pump rep about getting a dummy pump. We have 3 here in our toybox i think i will take them out and try the same thing great idea

9. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

This sounds like a great idea to me. Kerri over at SUM has done it four times and it's always fun to read about it when she does it.

10. Ella's mom

Ella's mom Approved members

Yes it would be a great thing to have school personnel go through this!

This came to my mind- when friends are going to eat they need to check BG 15 minutes before meal.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I love this idea!

Add this rule if you haven't already. Adults must test before driving and if "low" must treat and wait before they can drive off.

12. Noel

Noel Approved members

Lanae...how about this.....Give them a kitchen timer (the digital kind) have them set it for various times, like 15 mins then an hour or so, then maybe 2 hours.....whenever it goes off they have to drop what they are doing and test right away. If they are driving they pull over, if they are sleeping they wake up, etc. This would be their CGMS!!!!!

One more thing.....at night while sleeping....someone should come into their room, test them, then make them eat while they are half asleep. Until you actually do this or have it done to you, you do not really get the concept. My cousin kept Aidan over night for me...she had to test him, wake him up and then feed him at 3:30 am she said that was one of the hardest things. She said that seeing the 54 on the meter at 3:30 am scared the _ell out of her. She said it took her about 2 1/2 hours to finally calm down and get back to sleep. And she "gets" it.....she always has, she said that she has a new found respect for us, she said she knew we did that but until she actually did it herself she couldn't really appreciate it.

BTW this is a great idea, I have some family members I would like to do this.:rolleyes: