- advertisement -

Diabetic bags

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pecolia7248, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Pecolia7248

Pecolia7248 New Member

I have heard about the diabetic bags. Can someone please explain to me what they are and how I can get one for my 6 year old daughter. She was just diagnosed and I need to know if this a useful tool that will help us when we travel. Thank you.

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

When our daughter was first diagnosed, we used a bag like this: https://www.fifty50pharmacy.com/product/sportkids-diabetic-supply-cases-large/
    They have a nice selection. It had sections to hold the various items we needed to have with us. As she got older, and we felt like she ought to carry things herself at least some of the time, we bought a mini backpack in purple at Target. Over the years we had various incarnations of that bag. With girls, most eventually carry a purse, so that makes it easier:)

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I have a son and a daughter and we always use whatever bag/backpack or purse they want. I rarely hesitate to purchase another bag if that is what they want. My son used a slingbag for a few years and now uses a large backpack. He tends to overpack plenty of supplies. It gets pretty heavy. My daughter has rarely wanted a purse. She has had backpacks, her brothers old slingbag, pump bags specifically made for pump supplies, a drawstring bag from five below, fannie packs, lunch boxes, etc.

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

It kind of depends on how much gear you tote, and whether you're on shots, pump, or a pen. We carry a lot of stuff, probably too much -- poke kit, varying low treatments, extra pod supplies, glucagon, and a few syringes in case our PDM dies.

Recently we've been using Wildkins double decker lunch boxes that we sort into stuff we use all the time like the poke kit, and then deep storage down below. It comes in lots of cute colors: https://www.amazon.com/Wildkin-Whal...1471276207&sr=8-1&keywords=wildkins+lunch+bag

There are also specialty diabetes supply stores online like PumpWearInc and MyAbetic, that sell cute cases like this: http://www.myabetic.com/collections/diabetes-cases/products/love-bug?variant=3128099905 But we've found it's easier and cheaper just to find the right dimensions by shopping generic small bags, esp since we replace our daughter's bag every 4-6 months.

5. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I might be weird -any sort of cosmetic bag, pencil case, or wristlet is the perfect day-to-day diabetes case for me. Right now, I'm using this wristlet, which has enough room to store my testing stuff (meter, test strips, lancer, spare lancets, garbage tin for test strips), insulin vial, two insets, a spare cartridge, alcohol, a pump syringe, emergency MDI syringes, some random pump clips, hypo treatment (starbursts), some random stuff (chapstick, house key, emergency cash), and occasionally my phone (if I stuff it in there). What I like about the case I'm using is that I don't necessarily need to carry a huge purse with me if I'm running a quick errand or grabbing a bite to eat (there's enough in there to take care of my typical diabetes emergencies, like an occlusion alarm, a pulled out site, or a low BG), and if I'm going to be gone for a bit longer the case is easy to throw into my purse or backpack (don't get me started on all the diacrap in my purse...).

I also keep spare supplies in cosmetic bags within my purse and backpack. When traveling, I use a travel toiletry organizer for my diabetes supplies (I have a full one hanging in my closet right now as an emergency three-day grab-and-go diabetes pack)

6. dpr

dpr Approved members