- advertisement -

diabetic alert bracelets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Austins mom, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

Im looking for a new place to get quality medic alert bracelets (kid size) for a reasonable price. Any suggestions??

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For a boy you might want to consider dog tags. Might be a little "cooler" than wearing a bracelet. A Google search should come up with several options.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

My son chose the dog tag. One of my goals is not to let diabetes be full of additional restrictions so I told both kids to pick out whatever they wanted. Of course my daughter chose the bracelet that changes colors with mood and ended up costing about a hundred dollars!! His dog tag was something in the range of $60.

Anyway, maybe next time we will have a cheaper experience. So yes I too would like to see links to sources that might be reasonably priced.

4. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

We bought several silicone type bracelets with embossed writing on them on ebay. The key for us was to get one thin and small enough that she doesn't feel that it should come off at all. Works great - and cheap.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter uses silicone bands. Cheap, waterproof, easy to wear, no big deal to lose...and my daughter can coordinate the color to match what she is wearing. Ours are pretty basic - some have the medical symbol and the word "Diabetes" and some have the medical symbol and the words "I am diabetic" - she has no preference and chose the ones she did based on the colors. I usually buy them on Amazon.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Please read my post in the thread entitled "Giveaway." I would like to gift 5 brand new Road ID silicone bands to a CWD who has small wrists.

ETA: Someone has claimed them. I'm sure I'll have something else to give away in the future!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  7. rgcainmd

Hey, my daughter has the same hundred-dollar color-changing mood bracelet! It hasn't held up well against the test of time...

8. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

I've used Sticky J website, and ordered a cloth like bracelet with an interchangeable metal diabetes alert. It can be engraved, and the cloth bracelet comes in different designs for boys and girls. I went through several different kinds of bracelets before finding these. They seem to work for us. stickyj.com under medical ID, children and then sports strap.

9. rgcainmd

I cannot recommend RoadID highly enough! Definitely more affordable than some options, plus you can purchase additional bands (the ID tag is designed to be interchangeable) so that your child can have a wardrobe of diabetic alert wristbands in different colors to match any outfit/ensemble. (This consideration may be more of a "girl" thing; I have no sons, so I don't really know.)

I am so impressed with the quality of the ID tag; much nicer looking, easier to read, and extremely durable. You have the option of either getting a "regular old" diabetic ID or paying more to get the "interactive" version which provides the following (copied from their website):

Updateable, Secure, Online Emergency Response Profile
    24/7/365 Emergency Response Profile with Live Support
    Annual Membership, $9.99 (1 year included with purchase)

Speaking for our family, I didn't see the need for the "interactive" version (plus I'm tight-ass cheap and already spent a ridiculous amount of money on a color-changing according to mood diabetes alert bracelet that my daughter no longer wears), so I didn't pay extra for it.

Here's a link:

http://www.roadid.com/default.aspx

Additional babble you can just ignore:
    I couldn't help but notice that my last patient of the day today was wearing a stylish wristband. Upon closer inspection, my suspicions were confirmed: it was a RoadID! However, instead of one personalized ID tag, my patient has TWO. You see, she has so many serious and chronic medical conditions that they couldn't all fit onto one tag. (And she's only 31 years old.:frown:) From now on, whenever I have one of those "feeling sorry for my daughter and our family because of T1D" moments, I will remind myself that my daughter only needs ONE ID tag...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've used the coolmed bracelets for years. She forgets she's even wearing them. Only recently have we upgraded to to a necklace style (she wanted something dressier). We have the RoadId too, they offer an excellent quality product.

LOL, I can't tell you how many bracelets we've tried over the years only to go back to the rubber bracelets!

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We started with dogtags but she was allergic to the metal. Ended up with standard bracelet from Laurens Hope. She's been wearing it for about 5 years now. Never takes it off. I don't think it was horribly expensive. My worry with fancy/fun looking ones is that they may not be noticed, that's just my thing. We recently just changed the tag out (new phone numbers) but the bracelet itself is still fine.

13. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I ordered a bunch of silicone bracelets from Goods for Giving several years ago in a lot of different colors. DD is just now growing out of them.

14. lohmggcjr

lohmggcjr Approved members

Actually I am not very happy with my ROAD ID. It is rubbing away all of her engraved info in less than 6 months we have had it. I was really happy with the band we got from pump wear inc. However, my phone number changed and it is more expensive to replace. I know that road id will give a discount to replace a worn band within a certain amount of time, but I have not gotten around to ordering a new one. Not sure if I want to, if I end up having to replace it every few months :/

15. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

Same thing happened with the first Road ID we had. I called their customer service and they sent me a replacement for free. They said it was a prototype of a newer, more durable engraving. It has held up much better. We keep the old one on the underside of his wrist as a weight to keep the new one up top, which helps it not get so rubbed, as well.