- advertisement -

diabetes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rukio, May 27, 2010.

?

Is your doctor diabetic?

1. yes

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. no

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  3. don't know

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Anyone else have a diabetic doctor? I didn't realize mine was till our last check up and I noticed they had a pump on. xD Just wondering how common this is, I'll get a poll up if/when I figure out how.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

how does it matter? My ob/gyn is a guy. He still knew his way around. shrug.

3. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Because its just out of curiousity, or did you not understand my original post? I apologize if you didn't, I confuse a lot of people x.x

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Oh I understand you completely.

5. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Then whats the point of asking what does it matter? =3

6. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

I can understand the curiosity in terms of empathy and not competence. I have always believed my daughter's nurse was very competent. But when I learned she has a diabetic daughter the sense of kinship that I had always felt made more sense.

I have also had competent male OBGYNs. But I felt most empathy from the female OBGYN who had given birth. You can certainly understand the mechanics if you are a man and of course men love their kids and have been supportive of their wives and been in delivery rooms, etc... but until you actually carry the baby and push the kid out (or have your womb split open to pull the kid out) it is hard to really know what that is like. I guess I feel a bit the same about being the parent of a diabetic child.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Her endo is not, but her cde is.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Which doctor? :p

My OB/Gyn is a T1 :) (and male..lol)

My endo is not.. I don't see that as a problem... I have a gazillion other issues with her staff, of course :rolleyes:

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava's endo is type1. Her CDE is a parent of a type 1.

They really "get it" and I think our endo comes up with some wacky things that work but you wouldn't see in a book.

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I haven't had any diabetic medical professionals as far as I know, although one of the volunteers at the hospital when I was dx'd was a t2 in his twenties.

However, I think my endo has Grave's disease, because he told me how the pills taste (back when I was hyperthyroid and we thought I had Grave's).

11. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

nope but we've had a few nurses and CDE's with type 1. A CDE we don't see anymore was in the dark ages with diabetes, which is real scary-not sure if you have to stay current or what was going on there.

12. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I've had nurses with t1, but never a doctor. I think they (medical professional with t1) understand and can connect better because they know what we're going through and what low and high feels like. Others see it and read about it, but they can't truely know how it feels. My t1 nurses have given me wonderful advice based on their own experiences. I miss them so much!

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Yes, Leah's doctor (pediatrician) has had T1 for 50 years. The endo he referred us to is great too
    (and does not have D), so he primarly defers to her pediatrician for her treatment plan.

It is reassuring to us to know that her doctor completely understands her needs, both medically
    and practically speaking. He also uses the latest pump and CGM technology and gave us prescriptions
    for them at our first visit.

14. lynn

lynn Approved members

No, nobody in my home has a doctor with type 1. My nephew's pediatrician has type 1 though. Now every time my nephew goes to the doctor (which is often due to asthma) he HAS to wear his shirt from Nathan's diabetes walk! His doctor made over it the first time he wore it. That's when they found out he has diabetes---he pulled his pump out and told my nephew that knew EXACTLY what his shirt was about.

15. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

I don't actually HAVE a doctor... so i can't answer

16. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Mikaila's endo has type 1, but she is "love" with pediatric md. I must admit he is cute, but it makes taking her to the dr lot easier! All I have to say is I think its time to go see "X" and she gets busy! LOL too cute!

17. Rukio

Rukio Banned

xDDDDDDDDDDDDD

18. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Endo is not but cde is. She helped Joseph when he was trying to figure out where to wear his cmg sensor since he was going to insert pump site on stomach. She was really nice and showed Joseph both of her sites and how she likes to wear the pump and receiver so they don't bug her.

19. Allyson94

Allyson94 Approved members

Nope..
    But he is like obsessed with Star Wars his office is crazy ;P lol:D

20. MommyBusyBee

MommyBusyBee Approved members

To be honest, I haven't really thought about whether my child's doctor was diabetic or not. All I know is that she is the sweetest thing! She treats my daughter right and she always gives me great advice. Sure the empathy increases if you know what a condition is like, but most pediatricians that I've been to with my child are caring because they simply love children.