- advertisement -

Diabetes threw-up in my house

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AmandaF, Aug 8, 2013.

1. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

I came out of my bedroom this morning and was shocked to see that the Diabetes fairly must have come and threw up in my house..... ;) We are into week 3 of being DX..... I still have not found the perfect place/way to keep all the everyday supplies so it's all sitting on my kitchen table, I have books, lots and lots of books on diabetes all throughout the house. There are piles of notes, forms, instructions..... He leaves for DB Camp on Saturday, so I have piles of stuff to pack plus the piles of school supplies for both kids!!!!! AGHHHHHH

I am normally a pretty tidy, organized person but the past 3 weeks the housework has been neglected because between injecting, testing, measuring, feeding, research, filling out forms, fighting with insurance, worrying about camp and school, trying to make my 5 y/0 not feel left out I am just too darn tired to mop the floors... LOL

My youngest came to me this morning asking for underwear..... Imagine my surprise when I realized I haven't done laundry in 2 weeks.... :eek:(yes I put a load of undies in the washer before writing this... HAHAHAHAHA)

I know it will get better, but I really think that part of the newly DX training should include "how not to become a hoarder" and maybe instead of the drug companies sending "free meters" they should send a years worth of maid service... HAHAHAHAHA wouldn't that make you use "their" products!!!!!

Ok, enough.... now back to figuring out how to get my house back.... right now the only thing I can think of is a Match and some gasoline... HAHAHAHA

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Isn't it amazing how fast stuff piles up?! Over the years, we've gone from using a drawer and shelf, to using a (very small) linen closet, to filling most of the cubbies in a secretary...and now we use a nine cubby shelf! This one: http://www.target.com/p/closetmaid-9-cube-organizer-white/-/A-562700 What's sad is that I still have stuff that sits on top of it! One for pods, one for Dexcoms, one for adhesives, tapes, and wipes, one for test strips, meters and lancets, two for books...it just grows at a crazy rate!

And any maid we ever hired would get so tired of finding and picking up used test strips that they would quit. :p

3. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

Stacy I love that idea.... i am gong to Target tonight as a matter of fact.... ALONE, no kids, no hubby, Me, a cafe latte and a credit card... HAHAHAHAHA I did manage to sweep the kitchen floor yesterday, only because the neighbor kid dropped our "homemade" sharps container on the floor :eek: Needless to say a real sharps container is on my list today!!!! I could not believe how many test strips I found.... the poor dog even had one stuck on her tail.... :p

Oh well, at least for now the tears have turned to laughter..... :p;):cwds:

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I've got to applaud your sense of humor in the face of a very recent dx! You are my new hero, regardless of how the inside of your house looks! :) On a practical note, when on MDI, we always used empty plastic detergent bottles for a sharps container! Keep up that fabulous attitude! :D

5. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We have a chest of drawers in our family room for diabetes supplies. And a shelf in the kitchen cabinet designated for things that we use more often.

Keep in mind that you are probably going to need more storage space than what you *think* you need now. If you ever move to a pump you'll likely get 3 months of supplies at one time, which is a good size box.

Enjoy your alone time tonight!

6. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I read your post and this is something that actually made me smile today. Something that I really needed.
    I have to applaud you also.
    I have been dealing with D for over 5 years now. I also found out yesterday that my youngest has developed D. I am still upset about him.
    I still haven't figured out how to keep my house clutter free.

7. momMD

momMD Approved members

After being married to a type 1 diabetic, I never thought it was a big deal, all his supplies fit into 1 cabinet. Now that my 17 month old was diagnosed - we have soooo much stuff! We are hoping to start pumping next week and ordered a CGM so I think I will need a room for it all! The important thing right now is to keep your child healthy and learn to cope with it all. Cleaning the house is nonessential. Next time a family member or friend gives you the "I am so sorry, how can I help?". Ask them for help! They can vacuum, do laundry etc.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I smiled when I read this, too. I can so relate!

We cleared almost an entire cabinet in the kitchen for diabetes stuff. We get 90 day supplies so there are just boxes and boxes and boxes in there.

On the plus side, I cleaned out that cabinet which held a lot of stuff that needed to be tossed anyway. How many bottles of dog shampoo does one house really need anyway?

9. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Thank you for this! I know diagnosis is hard, and I still have dark days sometimes, but seeing the lighter side of things really helps!

I think stuff sat on my kitchen counter for weeks, books everywhere, and then when pumping stuff came that sat out for a while too. You just need a while to process and understand everything, let alone figure out where to put it where you can find it again :)

I still leave stuff out, and my house isn't tip top organized, but if I am going to stay sane and deal with this disease I need a little bit of leeway with the clutter.

I do feel like I hoard medical supplies, but when your child's life depends on it, you do want to be prepared :)

Good luck in the coming weeks - it sounds like you are fantastic, and are doing great. Thank you for sharing your wonderful insight and brightening my day :)

10. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

Thanks guys!!!!! Don't get me wrong.... I am still very emotional.... I am blessed with a DH who ALWAYS has a positive attitude. Sometimes it drives me insane but times like this it really helps.

My mother, who is a retired R.N gave me a pep talk last week after hours of sobbing to her. She told me while it's ok to "mourn" a bit I really just need to suck it up, put on my Big Girl Panties and march on!!!! NOTHING but a CURE will change our new life so until one is found deal with the cards dealt to us and move on. I was really upset with her at first but the more I thought about it the more I knew she was right!!!!

I just keep telling myself this is manageable and although serious things could be so much worse. My middle sister just found out that her 3rd baby has Down's syndrome and an acquaintance of mine is fighting cancer with her 14y/o so YES DIABETES SUCKS, but in the scheme of it all my child will still grow into an independent, self sufficient Man...... I will still get to experience all the milestones of life with him, the good Lord willing and I do not have to start planning my child's funeral.....

11. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

Please hear my heart when I say this. I know it's hard online when you're only reading my written words and you really don't know me...

I think that all of these diagnoses are hard for the families experiencing them. And, you're right that t1D won't prevent our kids from becoming happy, healthy, independent adults. But, if I could give up only one - t1D would come before Down's syndrome. Actually, Celiac would come before both of those. :)
    I guess it has something to do with something he "has" instead is someone he "is". My only point is that I know your sister is probably having a tough time right now. If there's any way I can help, I'm very willing.

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

The only way to get your home test strip free is to move. And about an hour after you move you'll find one there too.

We have two linen closet shelves and then a small space on the kitchen counter. It's organized for a bit then I go searching for something in a hurry and it ends up a mess again.

13. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Our kids can do ANYTHING...with just a bit more planning!

14. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Hugs. It is so hard. We sent my DD to diabetes camp and the house was somewhat clean when I left. After I came home my DH called and asked if the hous was clean since his sister was coming up. I looked at my living room and said it was clean before we got home. I was shocked at how much diabetes stuff she got just from camp. Took over my living room. Right now we have a closet in my hallway that has all the diabetes stuff in it. ;)

15. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

Thank you!!!!!! We actually have a cousin who has down's!!!!! We know that our family is going to be blessed so much by having this little guy enter into it!!!!! People don't understand how Wonderful it is to love and be loved by someone with down's unless they have had the pleasure.....

My sister is actually doing fairly well, it helps knowing Down's isn't the end of the world. Of course no one wants anything to be wrong with their child but she is a very strong woman and this will make her that much stronger!!!!

Anyway, I in no way took your comment in a negative manor!!!!! I just feel like I can wallow in sorrow (which I do depending on the day) or I can try to laugh and look for the positive.... Today I choose positive... LOL

16. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

A good cry is occasionally just what we need - as long as we don't live there. :)
    You sound great to only be a few weeks in! Your positive outlook and sense of humor are going to be such a blessing - and a big help in keeping your sanity!!

17. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Your attitude is great. When I want to have a pity party, I give myself a few moments and then remember this is just the new normal. Good luck finding room for all the stuff. It does take over the counter in our kitchen like electronics somedays.

18. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

My daughter is 16 and for the last yr or so a lot of her supply lives in plastic bins that slide under her bed. She still has stashes in the kitchen and pantry closet but I'm gradually moving it all under her control. Insulin is still in the fridge, but I'm thinking of getting her a mini fridge next year before she goes to college to get her used to tracking that.

19. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I don't have a new dx and I am feeling like lighting a match just having all the kids home for summer break. I like a tidy house but lately it's all I can do to keep from tripping over toys and dirty clothes. I don't have time to deal with stuff so I end up sticking it somewhere to put away later...the ever elusive "later."

I think the fact that your youngest asked for underwear shows what a good job you're doing, as a mother in general. It's okay to let the rest slide now and then. As long as there is clean underwear in the house, you're doing just fine!

20. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Anyone want to post supply closet pics?

Any organized people want to post pictures of their organized supplies or supply closets?

Us unorganized people may need visuals.

My supplies are mostly in a basket in my pantry. I keep pump supplies in original boxes until I need them. They are in the pantry also.