- advertisement -

Diabetes sightings on vacation

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Kaylas mom, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We just got back from 4 days in Missouri. We had the most D sightings that we ever had, from a guy taking a humalog shot next to us while we were eating to a girl about Kayla's age taking out her ping to bolus at breakfast in the hotel. We were leaving the pool and a maintenance man in the elevator with us asking how long Kayla had been on the pump, all from just seeing her pump site on her stomach.. she didn't have her pump on. He said his son just got the revel and loved it.

Kayla said it was pretty neat not to feel so alone this week. :) Sad though that that many people have to deal with it too.

2. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

I know what you mean. DD has not seen anyone out and about dealing with diabetes unless it was at a JDRF function. We are vacationing in a few weeks so I'm hoping she sees someone, just to realize she isn't alone.

3. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We were walking around one day and a boy walked by my DS and saw his tubing hanging out, and the boy said to his mom something about "that kid is diabetic too!" It made my DS smile a bit to overhear the kid talking about him like that. It is nice when the kids see other people (especially kids their age) that are "like them". :)

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We met a family at the beach the other day and at a museum a while back. One saw a sticker on the car, the other saw us testing.

Always nice to meet other families!

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Oooh, I LOVE D sightings! One time at the beach DH said that a girl on the next towel was d b/c her dad asked her to check her bs. I nearly broke my neck spinning around so fast! Dh was mortified by me. Later she saw us doing a site change on the boardwalk and approached us. it was neat.

BTW, I really think that ppl who stare are usually ppl in the know and are dying to come up to you and tell you about their brother/cousin/kids/friend with D. :D

6. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Last time I saw kids with D was at a fund raiser for D at the Zoo.

We are not alone.

7. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

I would love to see another d teen when I was on vacation! I think it would be nice. A lot of times I do feel "alone" and just different than other kids. I'm glad you saw some :D

8. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Well I wasn't on vacation but at the lake in town. There was a boy walking ahead of me with his pump in a belt over his bathing suit. He was maybe 10-12 yrs. I said hey what kind of pump do you have, he showed me and I said that's the same one my daughter has. He said "cool" and then it was cute he says well I mean it's not cool she has to have one but it's cool it's the same as mine and we both laughed.

She also met a girl at theater camp, Hanna was in the show and this girl was doing tech, and discovered they both have diabetes, the other girl was just dxd.