- advertisement -

Diabetes Service Dogs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by doratheexplora, Nov 17, 2009.

1. doratheexplora

doratheexplora Approved members

Anyone have one for their child? Experiences?

2. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Yep, we have one and it's a lot of hard work but SO amazing what they can do! Saved my dd from many, many lows and picks up on changes in bg 20 minutes before the meter can.

You can find out more at www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org

or on my dd's website below.

Please check out any organization you are thinking about! There are some huge scams out there. Others on here have alert dog, too. Check out the social groups. Just click on "community" in the blue bar at the top of the page & choose "social groups" - there is one for "diabetic alert dogs"

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  3. doratheexplora

Hey, thanks!

Tried your link, though...not working? Will continue to pursue. My son is three. He is autism spectrum and was just recently dx with type I. He shows no change in behavior when he's low and will continue running and playing until he falls over! I think a dog would be a good choice for him.

Was it a difficult process to get one? Very expensive I'm sure? What are the difficulties?

4. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

We have a dog in training. When we are farther along in the process I will post a complete update but knowing what I know so far I would suggest you find a place that has a very, very good reputation. Trained dogs are expensive and take a long time to obtain. And with a youngster like you have, I would avoid getting a puppy or partially trained animal because you would have to finish the training and it takes time every single day.

Pawsabibilities is a good organization as far as I can tell.

http://www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org/

5. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Oops, sorry, it was .org not .com

The hard work comes after you get the dog. The training never stops because with a service dog you are always in new situations.

Call and talk to Liz Norris - she's amazing but will talk your ear off. Tell her I sent you. If you want to pm me I will tell you which organizations are unscrupulous and which ones have a good reputation. I can also give you some references of other people that have alert dogs.

My dd's dog is alerting to a low right now. BG is 100 so that means she is dropping and needs to be on guard for that. She adjusted her basal rates last night because she's been running too high during the night and upon waking. She hasn't had breakfast yet so I know he's right - he's always right. We've found that out through experience.

Let me know if you want more info. Have to run now. My dd is off for a week long Thespian convention WITH her dog. Wouldn't consider letting her go without him.

6. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

You could look into foundations that may help you with the cost. Make a wish would be a good one. Im sure there are others. Our friends got a wish through them, disneyland... very cool.

Also, I would talk to your sons dr, perhaps for now, a pump and a CGM that would alarm you is best for now.

7. doratheexplora

valerie:

Will ask about cgm and pump. I'm thinking he might pull them out, though!

8. mom 2 kids and dogs

mom 2 kids and dogs Approved members

We've had our dog since June. He was supposed to be full trained but was hardly trained at all. Nearly NO scent training. Still, with the long distance help of a reputable trainer we have been able to teach him to alert and last week he alerted at night for the first time. Came to get me. My son's BG was 31. Wish the dog had caught it sooner! :) He will. He's getting better every day. Beth Eden Kennels claims to provide fully trained dogs but they are no where near fully trained. You will end up doing 75-100% of the scent and obedience training yourself. It's worth what ever you have to pay to avoid that. And it is worth every penny when the dog comes to get you to save your child. I'd do it again...I'd just be a more careful shopper. Although I don't know how you guard against deceatful business practices and flat out lies.