advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diabetes Rising on NPR

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Feb 26, 2010.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

This will be the topic on National Public Radio, on Friday EST at 1 pm. If you don't live in the area, you can listen on the computer

http://www.wbur.org/listen

Here's the blurb about the show...
    Diabetes Rising

In his new book, ?Diabetes Rising,? medical journalist Dan Hurley documents a seemingly inexplicable cluster of type 1 diabetes cases in Weston, Mass. This sudden uptick in Boston?s wealthiest suburb raises big questions about socioeconomics, lifestyle, and the cause of the disease. Dan Hurley joins us live from NYC.

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

Thanks for posting, Joy. I posted it on the HCCD FB page. :)

I'm working from home tomorrow, so I should be able to catch it if they webcast it live.

3. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

I just finished reading the book, it was very well written and very interesting.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm going to cringe if this NPR lady doesn't stop saying diabeeetus.

6. frizzyrazzy

Well Dan hurley just said that perhaps it's because kids are overweight. As kids get bigger and bigger he sees more type 1 cases, not that beign overweight causes it but that it could be the trigger.

raise hands - who's kids was even close to being overweight at DX? That fully does not fit the profile of children who have been dx. Most of our kids are not even close to being overweight.

7. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Can't raise my hand - Kathy was a measely 46 pounds at diagnosis, 8 years old.

My statement still holds true - "Type 1 Diabetes is the most misunderstood disease on the planet."

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

:eek::eek::eek:

No hand-raising here either. Underweight. Wasn't even a big baby, nor a heavy baby. Always thin.

9. frizzyrazzy

well he keeps disputing his whole theories.

he's talking about the possible cows milk in formula connection. If we're talknig about the cluster in WEALTHY suburbs...the incidence of full breastfeeding is more prevalent in the suburbs...that seems contradictory.

10. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

matt was certainly nowhere near overweight, always extra thin. Lived in the sun... tho, I did do cows milk at 10ish months...

I would hazzard, its the likelyhood that we have massive amounts of auto-immune diseases running through the family...

11. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Nope, Lia's always been in the 50th percentile for weight, sometimes a little under, never over. And for the first several years of her life she was in the 90th percentile for height. Tall and slender. A few years ago her height slowed down and she's been 50/50 for both. Not skinny but certainly not overweight by any means.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  12. Christopher

Michelle, I can't listen to it so thanks for giving a bit of a play by play. I have always been leery when someone tries to attribute causality to diabetes (breast milk, pollution, location, vaccines etc), because I think it always boils down to the fact that we just don't know. The whole cluster thing doesn't make sense to me either. I get that if you have a bunch of cases in one neighborhood it is odd, but what about all the other houses in that same area where the kids didn't get diabetes? Don't get me wrong, I think it is important to try and find out the cause of any disease, but it needs to be done in a scientific, systematic way.

I am a little surprised to hear that the author is talking about T1 and being overweight, since he has T1 himself, but based on some of the wording he uses in his book (Pandemic!) as well as some of his other theories, maybe it is not that surprising after all. I do appreciate the fact that the author came to this site and was willing to have discussions with people here (especially people like me who challenged him a bit). He seems like a good guy and it sounds like he worked hard on the book and that there is some valuable information in it. :cwds:

13. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

GREAT BOOK!!! It's really good, covers all of the "possible causes". In his book he says the study of cows milk based formula will be completed in 2012so we will now more about that soon. I don't have a great memory but in his book he mentions China having close to no diagnosis of Type 1 until cow based formula was introduced, then it sky rocketed. Again very interesting book, worth the read!

14. buggle

buggle Approved members

I listened. It didn't come across to me that he meant overweight. He said that kids are bigger and taller. He pointed out he wasn't referring to obesity like in type 2 that is linked inner city poor quality, processed food diets.

Brendan was a large baby -- always at 95th percentile -- sometimes over the 97th percentile for height with weight close to matching. He was long and over 9 lbs at birth. He was considered the picture of health by the pediatrician -- a big, healthy, exclusively breast fed baby whose mom ate an organic, vegetarian diet. The point Dan was trying to make, in my view, was that there may be some link to bigger, healthier kids. Kids are much taller now than previous generations, due to a consistent, good food source.

I actually thought about that a bit when he said it. If a child is growing really well and is large -- not fat, but tall and well muscled, like my kid was -- then that puts a big demand on the body to grow that quickly and that puts a demand on the pancreas to produce the insulin to convert energy to growing cells. I don't know... but maybe with the synthetic chemical load, it's a contributing factor.

BTW, when Brendan was diagnosed, he was 75th percentile for height and 50th for weight. He caught up after diagnosis and is now 75th percentile for both weight and height, but he never got back to the 90's like he was when a few years before he was diagnosed.

15. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I've been MIA for a bit, when was he on here? I'd love to read the thread.

16. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Dani had always been average weight for her age, but UNDER the curve on height. She's finally getting somewhere now, but she's still the shortest one in the class.

17. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Oh and DS has always been right at 97th percentile, even reached 100th at one point.

18. Christopher

19. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

Interesting about the bigger kid theory.....Kyle was 9 lbs 8 ozs at birth and was always in the 90s percentile wise. But I do have to add that my daughter was the same so I guess like everything else, this is just a theory. Kyle was definitely never overweight though...and like most of us probably found, a tad bit (or more) on the skinny side at dx ;)

20. buggle

buggle Approved members

There's always been a certain percentage of the population who got type 1. We know that back in ancient times people had it. So it's always been around. The problem is the increase above the usual baseline. No one cause will likely ever be found, because one cause probably doesn't exist, IMO. We know from here on CWD that T1 kids are all different sizes with different diets and lifestyles, some had formula, some didn't, some had mom's with C-sections, some didn't... etc, etc, etc. But... the combination of a variety of changes in our current environment and lifestyle is likely contributing to the increased number of cases from our normal baseline. I'm open to it being caused by anything, including lifestyle and diet, because that may be one of the combination of factors. I don't know and no one else does.

But I do feel that this crazy amount of chemicals we pour on our lawns and get in products we use in our houses, feed ourselves, and are constantly bombarded with can't be good for anyone.