advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diabetes Myths

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick Masercola, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Nick Masercola

Nick Masercola Approved members

Hey Guys,

What are the diabetes myths you constantly hear about, the things people believe to be facts but are more often than not just hearsay or mis-information.

For instance, here's two of my trusty favorites:

" So you can't have sugar, right?"

"So are you going to lose your legs at some point?"

God knows we all have heard a bunch.

2. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

I think the "can't have sugar" is the most common myth. I also got asked if my son eating sugar caused his diabetes. Most comments we hear are what people see/hear in the media that relates to Type 2 and they dont' know the difference between the types and some people don't even realize there is more than one "kind" of diabetes.

Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17

3. lisac

lisac Approved members

Since my daughter is so young, I always get "She has diabetes? That's okay, she'll grow out of it." If only it were true!! Oh well...

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I keep being told that if I do this or that the diabetes will go away.
    People expect me to have a family history of diabetes.
    People also expect me to have been diagnosed as a young child or to have "been born with it."

But the biggest myth is... "You can control it."

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I think the one that bugs my son the worst is "you have the BAD kind", said when they find he wears a pump. We always say "is there a good kind?". This isn't even comparing Type 1 to Type 2, most people who say it are referring to other kids with diabetes, when ds was first diagnosed he was told "at least you don't have the kind Austin has, he has to have insulin fed to his body all day long". So even within juvenile diabetes, people get confused.

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

That just because I have diabetes doesn't mean that my bg tests, eating habits, and excersice are up for disscution. and that one person could have diabetes "Worse" than another.

7. Nick Masercola

It's unfortunate how little the public knows understands about the disease, but then again, even many people who are close to those who have it have a difficult time grasping it's complexities.

8. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Myths

I recommend the book: 50 Diabetic Myths that Can Ruin Your Life and the 50 Diabetic Truths That Can Save It. The author is Riva Greenburg. Look at her book on amazon.com, click on it and read parts of it. I love her book. She is a Facebook friend, and is a very nice lady!!

9. Nick Masercola

I've heard a lot of good things about that book before, but never took the time to read it. I'll give it a look ( got a borders going out of business by me, might pick it up there while they're slashing prices).

10. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

F's back was bothering him and I took him to have a message. The message therapist told us "diabetes can be completely reversed by redirecting his life energy to his core".

I wonder why the endo didn't mention this simple solution? :rolleyes:

11. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

LOL, can this person tell how to redirect my 3 year olds energy:D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  12. Nick Masercola

I remember in a class I took in college about the representation of disability in literature, we skimmed a book that was popular in the 60's featuring lots of "new age" hippie ideas on how to cure illnesses. The book stated that all sickness begins in the mind and with a person's character, so that if you fix how you react/ treat the world, your illness will go away.

On a whim, I turned to see what it said about Diabetes:

" Not sweet enough. Must become sweeter and kinder."

Thought it was good for a laugh.

13. Nick Masercola