- advertisement -

Diabetes: Medtronic sues Insulet over OmniPod device

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Ellen, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I was told that Cozmo had to pay a royalty for every pump sold to Medtronic. They could not make much of a profit doing that.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

They did, true. Because they were using Medtronic's patented technology. But their biggest problem was their tiny market share.

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

well not to keep rehashing this, but it isn't as easy as that. They had a tiny market share because they weren't making any profits and no profits means they didn't have the funds to send their reps out to every event in the universe and properly market a pump that many experts thought was the best pump on the planet. And that was all because they used (or stole) patented technology, which wasn't even integral to their pump.

4. Rachel's Dad

Rachel's Dad Approved members

You are right....the pump was great but they were at such a disadvantage because of their market share/size. I remember the crazy weekend we were in the hospital and the CDE's would come in and say "we can't really recommend a certain pump but you should look at this one (a medtronic brochure) wink, wink". We did our due dilligence and to the suprise of the overly confident Medtronic rep we decided to go with the Cosmo. I was later told that the CDE's were getting paid by Medtronic to do pump starts;)

5. Don

Don Approved members

Yup, wink wink! I took a dislike to Medtronic early on after my dx when I realized how doctor-focused they are with their entrenched network, PC software that has more features for docs vs patients, and proprietary infusion sets. They do make a good pump, though...

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

I felt this way in 2006 about Medtronic. When we were forced to switch the reps were all new, the company seemed refocused, more honest, proprietary sets were a no longer an issue since you can get the same set in either variety now, and in short I didn't feel bad going with Medtronic since I liked the MM pump more than the Animas pump (neither pump having gone through many changes from the time we first looked in 2006). And that ticked me off more than anything - that in 2010 I was looking at essentially the same pumps that I looked at in 2006.

7. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

And I felt like the same when I began pumping in 2006. My doctor let me choose which pump company I went with. And supported me fully on that decision. Minimed for a while he loved, but after MiniMed would not return a call, and the new Animas trainer being within an hour's drive, he decided Animas was better to recommend and he loved how they supported me and him if I had issues or questions of any kind. I am on my Third Animas model presently and love the pump and the quality of technical support I receive and the clinical support also.