- advertisement -

Diabetes making me question my ethics...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KylorsMom, May 3, 2013.

1. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

So I am on a hiring committee for my job and while reviewing the applicants I noticed that one girl put down that she spent her summers volunteering at T1 summer camps. She is only a senior in high school so maybe a bit younger than we were looking for. (in her defense her resume looks great beyond that too)

But I totally wanted to call her up and ask her to be my babysitter LOL ... and I may or may not have given her a few extra brownie points ;) What has diabetes done to my ethics??? Of course I felt much better when a few other committee members were interested in her as well :)

2. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

That's the tough one! :D
    Maybe she's diabetic? or her little brother? ;)

3. Traci

Traci Approved members

I think most people are hired because there's something "special" about them that makes them stand out to the interviewer. Nothing new or unethical about that. Some people have been hired simply because they are pretty. I think your ethics are safely intact!

4. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

I actually met her mom the other day (she used to work with a co-worker- this girl really has good connections LOL) I guess she is a type 1 and was diagnosed at age 7. I hate that anyone would ever have to go though life with type 1 but I get super excited when I meet others :)

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I think it is more a matter of making an informed judgement. You know firsthand how much that candidate has on her plate and how much D causes kids to have to grow up faster and be more responsible.

6. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Maybe an ethical dilemma for hiring but doing what is best for your family is not. The other point is if you hired her it may be positive for both you and her. The other point is she can always say no. Funny but in the business world this is not a problem, they call it networking. Good luck!

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Means nothing in my opinion, she should be rewarded for volunteer
    work :)