- advertisement -

Diabetes camp?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sariana, Jan 18, 2012.

1. sariana

sariana Approved members

There is a local Diabetes camp that happens at the end of April here in Southern VA. It is only a few days which is fine for us with her age. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on these camps? I am considering taking my T1 daughter and perhaps my non D daughter as well.

Lions District 24D Family Diabetes Camp Program

2. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I don't know anything about the camp near you, or who it's sponsored by, but I can say that finding a way to send dd to camp just a few short months after she was diagnosed was the BEST decision we could have made. We were intent on living life as normally as possible, but still feeling blindsided by a lot of things. By the time camp came along, we all needed a break. She needed to know that she could be safe and well cared for away from me, I needed to know the same (emotionally, logically it was there but never happened), and her brother needed some of my undivided attention. Even though we're struggling financially, I am committed to finding the means to send her again this year, and she plans to babysit in order to raise money towards that.

Above and beyond that, she made some very close friendships with kids her age. None of them lives close, but they are all in state, and both families are willing to meet half way in order to get them together. I can see these becoming life long friendships, and that's important as well. No matter how much care I provide or am involved with, I can never truly know what it's like to have D, but the friends she met and developed relationships with can. I think that connection is incredibly important.

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I can't second what MommaKat said enough.

For us, Camp came about six months after diagnoses and it was the best thing we did for her and for us. She's the only kid with D that we know and it's hard for her. Camp offered her a chance to be with others that had to do blood checks, shots, and everything else. Plus, she had fun. She got to fish and swim, they went on highs and to see a play.

For us, it was the best decision we could have made for her and she's already looking forward to going again this summer.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think it really depends on your child. Many, many children with Type 1 love going. Mine?... not so much. It's great if you can tour the camp ahead of time. Good luck!:cwds:

5. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Will was 7 when he first went to overnight D camp, he hadn't really ever been away from us before then, he loved camp and can't wait to go this year. Each child is different though.

6. sariana

sariana Approved members

This camp needs a parent there as well for younger kids, which I do not mind actually. They also have parent meet and greets and discussions as well. I am seriously considering it to be honest this year. Last year was the first year that she was of age for it, but we could not afford it last year. This year I am working, so we have some extra money.

Thanks for the input!

7. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We went to a weekend diabetes family camp 2 weeks post dx. It was wonderful for dd to meet other kids just like her. :cwds: This summer she is going solo to d camp...her choice. I am excited and nervous all at the same time!

8. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

My daughter has taken her son (diagnosed at age 2, now almost 9) and daughter (non-d, age 7) to a couple of family diabetes camp and the kids absolutely loved all of them. I think they all offer scholarships - and oddly enough, very few people apply for them.

9. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

I say go for it! Hunter loves D camp and this year is actually hoping to get into one of the adventure programs run by the Barton Center. It does depend on your child but since you would be there too I think it would be a great experience.