- advertisement -

Diabetes camp. The good the bad and the ugly.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by C6H12O6, Sep 16, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Either have we, only 2 times at camp so far.

2. Vi'sMom

Vi'sMom Approved members

horrible camp experience

Hi, I usually just lurk around but this is a very sore subject for me.

While I understand that D-camp is great and wonderful especially for our CWD, but after 2 years in a row of a bad experience Vi will not be attending ADA Camp Montana next year.

This year in the required dr.'s orders for camp it was specifically written not to adjust basal rates period as we are a very active family (hiking backpacking, fishing, skiing ect). No if ands or butts unless they called the Dr. and she personally faxed a changed care plan. (She listed work, home and cell just for this reason). The very first night they gathered all the pumpers together and told them to do a 30% temp basal rate decrease. When Vi (14) said "Um hey I'm not supposed to" The answer she was given was do it or go home. She told them her dr. said not to and she wasn't. She was told to pack her bags. She thought they were kicking her out of camp so she changed it, then went and found the nurse practitioner who is the "head medical" person there. The nurse practitioner told her "yah i read what your dr. wrote, but your here now in my care, and either you do it or go home." For 2 days my child ran high, like 250+ high. They corrected with shots, instead of putting her basal rate back to normal.Finally she on her own changed her rates back and ran closer to normal numbers. Of all places I should be able to send my CWD it should be D-camp, and for the second year in a row she was run at 200+ for 5 days.

When I complained to our local ADA, I was told well we can't take care of each individual child like you would at home, and sometimes highs happen. If your dr had written not to change the basal we would of followed that. I explained that it was written and in fact on the BS log they sent home it was also handwritten and circled in red on the top. All I got was a "well we are sorry" and a since your child changed her pump settings without permission she is not welcome back to camp. I took it higher to national ADA and kept going until I got answers. Supposedly they are going to "reprimand" the nurse practitioner with a written reprimand. Vi is "welcome" to return to camp only after we do a conference call with ADA, and our Endo, or I pay the fee's as a second camper and I volunteer at camp. I took it to the state medical board, she is now under investigation. Apparently my child wasn't the only one who's dr's orders weren't blatantly violated.

Vi has tons of fun at camp and has made some great friendships. But it's not worth the risk to her for me to send her.