- advertisement -

Diabetes Camp - if you are hedging

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Jul 22, 2012.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

A year ago, I wasn't sure how I felt about sending Matt to diabetes camp. He wasn't even interested at first, and he only agreed to go because our neighbor was diagnosed and agreed to go.

After touring the camp (Camp Najeda) in the spring and then touring it again the day that we dropped him off, I left him at camp feeling 100% certain that his needs would be taken care of for the week. I wasn't let down. Not only was he safe, but he had a great time. In fact, we have already signed him up for a 2-week session next year.

Both of my kids will be going to camp next year at the same time, which will be an interesting opportunity for me and my wife, as we haven't had many (any?) kid-free days over the past 12 years. Not that we are trying to escape our children, but we are looking forward to taking a short little Mommy/Daddy vacation while they are at camp. It will be our 15th anniversary, and I never previously thought that we would ever be able to take a night away together until he was an adult.

So, if you are considering diabetes camp, all I can say is that I totally recommend it. Matt had a time that he will never forget, and Mom/Dad had a few nights of uninterrupted sleep. It was refreshing for everyone!

2. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

My son left for camp Nedja today :) it's his 5th year there - this year doing the LIT thing hoping to work there next year. The first year he attended was the hardest year as he was dx'd only 3 mo prior to going :eek: but he loved it is safe and we look forward to our "vacation" every summer. It's a wonderful opportunity for everyone to rest and gear up for the rest of the year with D. Camp Nejeda is the Best! As I'm sure most D camps are :)

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I so so so agree with this! My son isn't a camp kind of guy and even he loved D camp. We pretty well coerced him into going the first year and now he looks forward to it. He's definitely ready to come home at end of session as he's a guy that cherishes time alone, but he's ready again every summer and the friendships he gains are so valuable. He had lunch yesterday with a girl he met at camp. ;)

And, as much as he enjoys it, I NEED that break, mentally and physically. Even though he is independent in his own care, it's still just always there, and it's more of a mental drain than I think any of us realize once we're out of that daily learning curve. I miss him very much, but I do not miss diabetes and I do appreciate that little break from test strips, carb counting, tiptoeing around gnarly mean highs, etc.

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

I so agree with everything that has been said. It is hard to have them gone, especially the first time but they get so much out of it! Hailey loves it so much she goes for two sessions now.

5. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

I had a crazy idea that just might work for next year. Since we have the Disney timeshare, and since it is our 15 year anniversary (honeymoon was in Disney), I am thinking of taking my wife down there for a few days while the kids are in camp. Then I will leave her there for the day, fly back up and pick them up when camp is over, and then take them down for another week with us. I am not sure I can swing the expense, but if I can, I think it would be great. If that is too expensive, then we'll just sneak away for a couple nights somewhere relatively local and then head to Disney when the kids return.

I feel kind of guilty planning a trip while the boys are away, but after being on top of testing for an entire year, I think my wife and I could use a few days away.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at age 4, so sleep away camp was a while down the road. We had the luxury of having a camp near my parents that was a day camp (we started at age 6), so we eased in that way. Then, 2 years ago this same camp is based an hour from our home and they have a weekend where you can go with a sibling or friend, a way to ease into camp, the girls went and asked when we could sign them up for the summer session (same camp does one week session where again you bring sib or friend)! Best decision they ever made.

At the day camp they had parent sessions which were fantastic. They said that at the sleep away camp the first year parents give about 10 different emergency contacts, the next year about 5, then the next the parents are off on vacation on there own!

7. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

I know it is ridiculous to try to tell people how to think, but really? You're feeling guilty about this? Seriously?:rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, it's the normal reaction of conscientious parents, but you have to take a look at that guilt and recognize it as stupid guilt. Stupid guilt is the guilt that doesn't come from doing anything wrong, but from some vague idea that 'someone' might think it wasn't totally right.

Your kids will have a wonderful time at camp and I hope you and the wife have an equally wonderful time without them. You'll all be the better for it.

8. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

I dropped my son off at camp yesterday and my daughter at a different camp today. DH and I are looking forward to having a week by ourselves. I don't think there is anything wrong with that and I have zero guilt. I know my kids are safe and they will have a ton of fun - so there is nothing wrong with us parents enjoying ourselves as well! Like others have said I will enjoy a week of not having to carb count every meal and worry about numbers. Plus this is the one week of the year I can actually sleep through the entire night! Last night was wonderful...