- advertisement -

Diabetes at a gas station

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Armyemily, Feb 1, 2008.

?

How many severe lows have you had?

1. None

16.7%
  2. 1or2

8.3%
  3. 3-5

50.0%
  4. 5 or more

25.0%
  1. Armyemily

Armyemily Approved members

I was almost out of gas on my way to work this morning so I stopped at the Love's over by my house. I remember walking in, paying for the gas, going to the bathroom, and walking out. The next thing I know I have several Oklahoma State Troopers around me. One is checking my BG with his meter (29!!!), one is fixing a dose of glucagon (turns out to be the troopers as well) and saying something about the glucose gel not working, and one is sitting me up applying pressure to my badly cut forehead. I am now at home with 2 stitches in my forehead, one heck of a headache and thankful for a windshield decal and a medicalert bracelet and those state troopers being in the right place at the right time. Also I am VERY VERY thankful for the 4 guys who noticed I had fallen and was not getting up nor moving and pointed me out to the state troopers.

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

wow im glad you are ok and the right people were in the right place at the right time i had one bad low while driving and never again i was driving home from church and i was pulled over by police who assumed i was drunk even made me do a breath test then they assumed i was tired and let me go i got off the highway and tested my sugars and got a low reading so ate and waited for me to go up and ever since tested before driving but now i have cgms so i dont test everytime i drive i love my cgms and wouldn't go without it again.

i have had about 3-5 bad lows but never had a seisure because of thankfully i tend to keep myself higher then i should now because of the responsiblity of children and being at home with them alone

3. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I had a low once at a grocery store. I was apparently wandering the aisles near the pharmacy for about an hour with a tube of glucose tablets in my hand, and no one ever did anything. Apparently I just got in my truck and drove home with an un-opened tube of tablets.

4. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

Back in the days before bG meters....

depending on "pissing strips", you never knew how low you really were. (I had lots of problems, even in the daytime.) And even after at-home testing became possible, I still had lots of problems at night while sleeping. (Maybe instead of asking "five or more", you should have asked "fifty or more". I would have checked it. :()

But thanks to Mr. Dexcom, I hardly ever have even 60 anymore. (And no 20s/30s/40s, not ever.) :)

5. pumpgirl

pumpgirl Approved members

Wow, Emily, thank goodness you're okay! I actually just posted something about having a terrible low fairly recently in another forum. It was one about "medic alerts."

I don't have lows very often, my A1c avgs about 6.4-7.3. However, about 5 months ago, I went to pick my son up from after-school daycare. When I pulled into the parking lot, I could tell I was having a low. However, by the time I recognized the low, I was unable to coordinate my motor skills enough to reach over in my passenger seat to grab the glucose tablets in my purse. I usually tend to get combative with myself when I get below 70. That's exactly what happened, I fought with myself in my car for about 30 minutes, trying to get tablets, check bloodsugar, and/or get out of my car. I finally was able to manage getting my car door open and get into the daycare. The owner saw that I was having trouble and asked if I was okay. I was so low by this time, all I could say was, "yes, no, yes, no, yes, no!!" She pulled me into her office and looked for emergency numbers on my son's information. She found my mom's number, called her and told her I was drunk. It took my mom a good 5-10 minutes to explain to her that was NOT the case and to call 911. By the time the paramedics had gotten there, I had thrown myself around the owner's office a good 5 or 6 times, bawling my eyes out b/c I couldn't stop, nor could I tell her what was wrong. The paramedics had a difficult time getting me still long enough to check my BG (24!!!). The male para. had to sit on my legs and hold me down while the female got an IV in me. I've learned my lesson, CHECK YOUR BG BEFORE YOU DRIVE!! Every time! I was lucky I was less than 5 minutes away from my house. I could've wrecked on the road and not made it to my son's daycare.

I also passed out at a mall one time when I was pregnant with my son. I remember sitting down in the entry way of a store and trying to call my boyfriend at the same time trying to get my snack out of my purse, but once again, could not coordinate myself to do so. The next thing I knew, I was laying on a stretcher in the parking lot of the mall and had paramedics standing over me. It's a scary experience!!:eek: