- advertisement -

Diabetes and missing school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MyHandsAreFulll, Nov 14, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I think it is important to send them in as long as they are not ill or feeling crappy...just to reinforce the idea that they are NOT the "sick kid" that needs to miss school ...but that they have a condition that can be managed and must be coped with in daily life. When they are older and have jobs, they need to be able to adapt to D situations that may crop up in the morning and still handle it and go off to work or take care of their family. So, I think showing them that...yes, D may not be behaving on a certain day, but it's still a school day...so off you go...is a good lesson. Again...ONLY if they are not feeling ill or have any other extenuating circumstances such as a malfunctioning pump, etc. I think you did the best thing for your daughter.:cwds:

2. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Hunter hasn't missed many days related to D. Some mornings of going in late. Sadly he is very ketone prone and will vomit from them. Once we get them moving in the right direction it's off to school for him and I call the nurse who stays on top of it for me. I generally let him take the lead - if he really feels crappy he can stay home but most times he wants to get to school. He has missed some morning jazz band practices thanks to ketones but in 2 years it has been 2 or 3 times for that.

3. Courtneyjensen

Courtneyjensen Approved members

Im in high school with diabetes and sadly ive missed alot of school. Ive had a lot of complications with diabetes and other health concerns. But as for your daughter, If she says she feels fine i would let her go, if its only a block away you could always go get her if the situation worsened.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

If my kid is feeling well and not showing signs tummy aches/throwing up or headaches (which he can get with high ketones), then I send him to school, and either I go there myself a couple of hours later to retest ketones or I give the teacher the ketone testing meter and ask her to check for me.

He has never missed school yet for ketones, that I can remember. One time he was a bit late because there was a site problem, so I changed it and took him to school afterwards.