- advertisement -

Diabetes and Gymnastics

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommyjfox, Apr 20, 2013.

1. mommyjfox

mommyjfox New Member

Hi,

My daughter just made a gymnastics team and her practices have increased to twice a week for 2 hours a day. Does anyone have any advice on how high we should get her blood sugar prior to practice? It seems that mid practice she starts to drop. I'm trying to find a way for her to stay at a healthy steady number. Anyone have any tricks? It's such a challenge!!!!

2. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

Our son with diabetes is almost 4 and has just started gymnastics, but for him it's only an hour (our older two non-d kids also take it and it's an hour and 45 mins for them). Even though it's only an hour, Grady is TIRED at the end (our older two kids are too). I think it's quite a workout. We test Grady 10 mins before he starts his class, make sure he's in range, and give him an extra 15g snack (fruit to go usually) before he goes in. Yesterday he tested at 7 before the snack, did his class, and came out at 4.9 an hour later. If it was a 2 hour class, I think I'd try to give her a similar snack in her pocket (fruit leather or something similar - small and easy to eat quickly and neatly), and have an alarm on her watch for half way through the class. When she hears the alarm, she takes it out of her pocket and eats it (make sure she tells her instructor ahead of time so they know what she's doing and why...). Or a juice box that she drinks at the halfway point of her class. She will likely need it.. you could also test the first time at the halfway mark to make sure, and that way you'll know once and for all how the exercise is affecting her.

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My dd takes gymnastics, usually an hour a week but sometimes they have gone an hour and a half. We usually give less Levemir on those days and I like to see her go into class a little high because I know she can drop 150 points. When she has gone more than an hour she did go low and needed carbs midway through. To not go low she would have had to be 300+ going into class which is also a problem. So my recommendation would be : lower basal for the day and plan to have her have carbs midway through. Maybe she could have diluted Gatorade to sip instead of water?

4. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

How old is your DD? Is she on a pump or injections? CGM? How long since diagnosis? --> you can add these things to your siggy by going to User CP

My DD has done gymnastics one hour per week for the past few years. I make sure she's had a snack beforehand and that her blood sugar is at least 140 before she starts (preferably 170-180) and she disconnects from the pump while in the gym and she still tends to go low by the end of the session. Trampoline and floor usually make blood sugar drop the most.

If she did 2 hour sessions, I would think for sure that she would need to test and eat a snack halfway through the session, or sipping juice or gatorade throughout the session is a good idea too. We often do that for parties at bouncy house places.

Also, like PP mentioned, basal needs may be decreased on gym days. My DD often goes low at night after gymnastics if I don't lower basal.

5. reaganrocks

reaganrocks Approved members

My 7 yo DD is in her second year on a gymnastics team. This year she is practicing nine hours a week. I usually want her to be 150-200 because she drops pretty fast with that much activity. This year I am pulling her out at 6pm to feed her dinner because I don't want to feed her dinner at 7:30. Like everything else with diabetes...it is trial and error. We also changed to the pod this year so we have had to adjust to that. Good luck!!

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

just a thought ( I don't do gymnastics) but when I am exercising more than normal; I need to lower my basal across the board. for example when I exercise three time a week (I don't always... but I should) then my basal is lower ALL WEEK from the exercise... not much lower, but lower

7. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My daughter has been on a team for the past 2 years with 4 hour practices 3 days per week.

My daughter is 11 and this is our plan...sort of. She eats a snack on the way around 4:00. It's a pretty decent snack, like a sandwich or even a taco or 2 from Taco Bell (that's her latest craving). If blood sugar is 100-150 we bolus for the carbs as usual and don't correct for any BG below 150 (normally correct over 120). If she is under 100 we deduct 10-15 carbs depending on what she's eating. At gymnastics they get a 5-10 break around 7:00 so she will check at that point and eat a snack (small apple, granola bar, 1/2 peanut butter sandwich or carrot sticks and hummus, etc)...if she is below 100 she will deduct 10 grams and set her temp basal at -10% for 3 hours, if above 100, bolus as normal. Most practices I will bring her a "dinner" to eat on the way home (8:30 pm). Usually a thermos with whatever we had for dinner.

We have to watch for lows after practice and through the night. Sometimes she's low, sometimes o.k. and sometimes high!

When it comes to meets that's a whole different story. The adrenaline and nerves sends her BG up, sometimes a lot.