- advertisement -

diabetes and football

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Austins mom, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

My 8 yr old son started youth football practice two weeks ago... Hes using an insulin pump with the contact detach infusion set and after watching him at practice last night I would never tell him but Im alittle worried!! He is taking off the pump but the set is staying in place on his tummy, anyone have experience with this? Should we be taking the needle out?? Dr says to leave it in...

Opinions??

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It's scary, isn't it!! I well remember that first season..he was on shots then, that was scary, but then on pump, double scary!!

It'll be fine, my son did switch back to comforts for the duration because the contact detach did hurt some, but he was playing full on tackle/high school level and getting hit quite a bit. Leave it in, it'll work out just fine. For my son he needed to replace missed basal for practices but rarely for games, the adrenaline would shoot him high but then he'd drift down lower, the activity would be enough to not need the basal during that bit of time. YDMV definitely though, I know many kids need to replace what they miss.

CGM was very helpful during football season too, if you decide to go that route at some point I'd recommend he use that during the season too. His sister was the water girl and carried the receiver in her pocket so we always knew what was going on!

Good luck, I LOVE LOVE LOVE football season. I miss it so much.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son has played two seasons of tackle football with the pump. We actually had him wear the pump for both practices and games. We just turned the screen in toward his body so that it was protected. He is a lineman, though, so not one of those getting hit at a full run.

His sites are Comfort Shorts, but we have used contact detach in the past, and I admit that I would be reluctant to use those particular sites while he was playing a tackle sport. I'd probably have a cannula-type on hand so that you can switch if necessary, because he's probably not going to want to get hit twice on his site with the contact detaches.

4. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

My son is 14 and he is in his 2nd year of tackle on the pump.

He played receiver and running back last year, disconnected for practices and games and would check at half time, correct with bolus and then reconnect after he game. Wasn't perfect but he literally started the pump a week before school and we were learning as we went.

He played baseball and 7/7 football this spring/summer and we saw much better control by staying connected. Baseball back pockets have liners that can be cut slightly form the inside to slide the pump in there and he kept his pump in the pocket of his athletic shorts for football. No contact, so no big deal.

Fast forward to this season and he is playing QB. His plan is to stay connected while he plays as the missed basal is tough with hormones and adrenaline. My sweet neighbor sewed pockets on each side of the interior of his padded girdle he wears under his football pants and so far, so good :) I like the idea of facing the screen toward his body.

3 years in and I still know in my heart flexibility is the key and don't be afraid to adjust! Good luck!

5. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

thanks for the advice! this last week has been much better!!