- advertisement -

Diabetes and cold intolerance question?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Artgirl, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Since my 16 year old daughter has been diagnosed with T1D, actually probably 6 months prior she seems to be highly intolerant to cold weather. She actually shivers if outside for more that 5 minutes in the winter. Is this normal for diabetics? She dresses appropriately as well. Even when indoors she always seems cold and complains of cold hands and feet. However when we got out in the winter she gets beyond cold, it is scary and seems unusual. Is this normal or should we be telling her Endo? She recently had her thyroid checked and was told she was normal.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I have a few thoughts.

1). My 13 year old Ds wears a fleece jacket in 10 degree weather and "swears" he isn't cold...so it may not be diabetes related.

2) it may be a female thing. Aren't women notorious for being cold all the time? Perhaps changing hormone balance is causing it, and timing of diagnosis was a coincidence. Progesterone and estrogen can mess with your body temp.

My guess is that it's not d related, but there may be something else going on. It wouldn't hurt to talk to her dr. about it. They would know more about if it's normal, and who to see if it isn't.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I don't think it's D related. My DS doesn't feel the cold. He'll wear shorts all winter if he could. Maybe talk to the doctor in case there's some other reason, but some people just feel the cold more than others.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter developed the same issue last year...and for her, it seemed to be thyroid-related because it comes back whenever her levels are a bit off. You've had that checked, though, so I'm not sure what to suggest. I do think that everyone is different (I went to work in a short sleeve shirt and a skirt today and it was snowing, my son wore shorts all through December, my mom is cold all. the. time.) but it's the changes that matter. If she was always cold, it would just be her, but since it's new, I'd think it was worth asking about. Bring it up at the next endo visit, maybe?

5. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

When my son was diagnosed, that was one thing that the endo did mention to us. They told us that the insulin can cause them to get cold easier. Not sure why, but that is what they told us. He gets chilled in church and generally brings a light jacket everywhere he goes. I am unsure if your daughter is cold because of diabetes, especially since she was getting cold before she was even diagnosed. I would always tell the doctor if there are any questions that you might have. That is their job. Don't feel bad about bringing things up that might be confusing or weird.

6. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

That's interesting, i think her intolerance was there a bit before diagnosis but has definitely gotten way worse after diagnosis. I wonder what the connection is. Did they say it gets better or worse...its winter for 6 months here...not going to be fun.

7. DiabetesMama

All they said was that the insulin can cause cold intolerance, sort of how blood thinners can cause that as well. They never said anything else about it. They never mentioned if it would get less over time, but I just know that he is about a year and a half into this rodeo and he is still very chilly most of the time. I will try to look into the reason why the insulin can cause that and try to get back with you if my life can remain a bit calm over the next week. Hope things are getting a bit more routine for you and your daughter. Remember, just one day at a time. Deep breaths and plenty of reading. Take care and I hope to get back with you soon.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Highly unlikely that this would be D related. Thyroid, maybe, as Stacy points out but not something associated with Type 1

9. DiabetesMama

I did some research and could not find anything to support why the insulin would cause cold insensitivity. I wonder why they told us that at the hospital then? Very strange indeed. But of course, they haven't been right about a lot of things. I did find other causes, mainly thyroid and anemia and malnutrition. Does she eat pretty good? Does she eat enough meat or protein rich foods? I know that sometimes girls in high school don't eat enough because they are trying to keep their figures "in shape". That is not the correct way of staying trim, but that is the easiest way they think of. Just a few suggestions. Hope you can get something figured out soon. Take care and keep us informed.