- advertisement -

Diabetes Alert Dogs, why Lab Retrievers!?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by payam7777777, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

There is no such thing as a non-allergic breed. Certain individuals within breed might be fine for you to live with but there is no honest breeder who will tell you that a breed as a whole is not going to trigger your dog dander allergies.

If picking up poop is what you think of when you envision bringing a sentient creature into your home and into your family for what may be the next decade and a half, then maybe a dog isn't the right pet for you.

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

OT, but I love the poop reference. Our healer died some time back, there was a lot of holding her while she puked and cleaning up messes when she lost control, not to mention a lifetime of scooping up in the yard, carrying bags on walks, and midnight carpet cleaning when she didn't get out on time. Wouldn't have traded it in a million years, totally worth the price. I think when folks get in trouble is when they get a dog after thinking of the cuddles and games of fetch, then discover this is not a doll, it's a real and unique animals with needs that you are responsible for. Pound is full of dogs that got turned in because people didn't think enough about the poop before getting the dog. :p

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

LOL, poop is a big part of life! Ppl think that babies are so cute, and they are, b/c if they weren't no one would put up with the poop, spit, vomit, blood, pee, etc., that comes with parenting. It's a mess! :D

Before getting a dog our family has to understand all the work involved, like feeding, bathing, picking up after the dog, cleaning accidents in the house, and all the other non-fun stuff, not just the snuggles. If we can't all commit to actually caring for a dog, not just playing with a dog, then we can't have one.

I know that you actually have to spend time with a dog to know if you are allergic. We are going to visit a breeder of SWDs to see if I react, rather than go to a pound where I wouldn't know who I was reacting to. The woman who breeds them, has like 4 or 5 but no other breeds, so it will give a good idea if I'm allergic to them.

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

Not to hijack even further, but I didn't know what a spanish water dog looked like so I looked it up. Oh my gosh! Beautiful dogs! I wish you well with your allergy. Dogs can add a lot to a family's life.

My nephew is very allergic to dogs but they have two little puff-balls (I have no idea the kind) that he can live with.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For me, it is bad enough that we have to use less than accurate meters to make crucial decisions about our children's health. To try and self train a dog to detect bg is kind of like trying to build a homemade insulin pump. Someone could probably do it, but are you going to trust your child's health/life with it?

Even with an "officially" trained dog, there is no guarantee they will do what you expect them to do. I just don't think I could ever feel comfortable with one, either way. But if you want to try then I wish you luck. :cwds:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

We are getting a Golden Doodle DAD from Tidewater K9- A cross between a golden retriever and a standard poodle. Mark and Scott have been awesome to work with so far!! She is 6 weeks old now, going thru extensive training. We go to VA in April for Zakk to train with the pup (Annie) and Mark and Scott- Check them out- http://tidewaterk9.com/cares/diabeticalertdogs.html

Oh yeah, they also offer video training. They teach you how to train your dog to alert- they also take rescue dogs and train them as well for adoption. They have a new litter of F1 Golden Doodles now!! If you call tell them that Donna and Zakk referred you to them. :0)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Seriously? At 6 weeks, the only training a puppy should be doing is in eating and sleeping and playing and being held. :(

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Did you mean months? I had no idea they start them so early--we won't even be able to have our dog until it's 8 weeks. And I know that seeing eye dogs have foster parents the first year just to socialize them and teach them basoc good dog stuff until they start training with their owners.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I can learn something here everyday. I'd never heard of a Spanish Water Dog, though I know of the PWD like Bo Obama. And I'm a fairly rabid dog lover!

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I just looked these up because I had never heard of them before.. what a cute dog. :)

To the OP, good luck in your research for a DAD. I hope you find something that works perfect for your family!

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Labs are being used a lot these days as assistance dogs. I think the reason that they might be used as DAD dogs is because their sense of smell is heightened. Also they are loyal. I think that dogs that can smell things like low blood sugars have a natural talent for it. And labs are very friendly. My Nephew has a Yello Lab that alerts to his seizures. And another friend of mine has a Yellow Lab as a seeing-eye dog. Also if it helps Labs can come in 3 different sizes, small build, mediume build, and large build.

13. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

The trainers have been placing saliva swabs with the mother while the pups are nursing- she is starting to train now for the next few months for obedience and low alerting, we do not get the pup until she is 16 weeks old-sometime in April. Go check out www.diabeticalertdog.com, see Ava training video, this is Scott Smith he is the trainer- actually search Scott Smith on this link, he is very informative and very helpful to all.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012