- advertisement -

DEXCOM: When to enter addtl BG readings?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by SPICYSMOM, Dec 1, 2009.

1. SPICYSMOM

SPICYSMOM Approved members

Started on the Dexcom last night. This morning readings were P(Ping) 92, D (Dexcom) 95. Felt great that it was so close. After bran flakes cereal/milk (which I do not usually eat - usually eat oatmeal) the P-198, and D-315 - that is a 117 range. I let it go. 2 hrs later the P-140, D-193 - now only 53 different. I broke down and entered the P-140 BG into the DEXCOM.

It has been closer all day, until the last of P-160, D-118 arrow trend aimed down.

Last night there was a few hours when I lost the reading. Not sure if it was how I was sleeping? I had the Dexcom on the night stand.

Thanks,
    Sheryl

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I will ad an additional cal if they are way off. Usually it is the Dex catching up. I have to say 100% of the time when I reading is way off the Dexcom, we recheck and the ist meter reading was off. Wet or dirty finger I guess. I had one sensor where it was crazy off but after two cal(not together) it got it on track.

3. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

If Logan has just eaten or is in mid drop from a shot then I tend to not calibrate and see if it "catches up". Especially when treating lows. If we treat and he continues to trend down but then is higher upon recheck I try very hard to wait it out because if I enter the cal in too early before Dex has time to catch up it will be off later.

My DH does enter it and that drives me nuts. Then at the next check we have to cal again to get it back in line.

Not all of the time, but sometimes so it is like a dance that you have to figure out the correct moves for.

One thing that we have experienced recently is Sensor Error 0. Basically that happens when they are too far off and you try to calibrate. Last week we wound up losing a sensor because it would never come back up. With the new sensor we had it happen again the next day, but thankfully it took a cal within 10 minutes and has been back on track since.

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My dd has been on it since June. This sensor has been great, very accurate. Last night at 10:30 I looked at her dexcom and it said 195 with two arrows up. So I decided to confirm with a finger stick. The 1st finger stick was 61, the 2nd was 76. So I put them in, like someone else said the first confuses the dexcom so it asks for a 2nd. We give her juice/milk and in 20 minutes come back. Dexcom is now saying 39, finger stick 143. Then at midnight I go in and Dexcom says 305. Do a finger stick, 234. So, sometimes the accuracy is off. So glad I didn't just trust it.

We calibrate as often as possible. But never calibrate if > 400 or < 55. I tell my dd to calibrate every time she checks. The more calibrations the more accurate it will be in general, although this sensory is some weird exception.

5. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

If we find that a reading is off (more than 20 points) we will calibrate BUT only if the trend arrow indicates that she is steady, not rising or falling. I think one of our biggest mistakes when we started using the Dex was calibrating too often when blood sugar was not steady.

6. Toni

Toni Banned

Have to get out my calculator but the closer you get to 200 the higher the discrepancy. 20 pecent of 200 is farther apart than 20 percent of 80, kwim? I would enter the calibration? Maybe. Depends on what Dex had been doing. If you need Dex support to look at your Receiver you have to enter the erroneous calibrations or they can't help you. Often don't correct calibrations after a meal or after a low (Dex takes 20 mins to half hour to come up from a low).