- advertisement -

DexCom v. Medtronic and Precision Xtra v. NovaMax

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buckmarko, Mar 3, 2012.

1. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

My son is getting to wear a demo DexCom for a week. I was wondering if anyone has experience with both DexCom and Medtronic? What are the pros and cons of each? The dexcom has a 5 foot range. What does the Medtronic have? I was also wondering if the Medtronic has a computer program for Apple computers? The rep told us that DexCom isn't compatible with them. I know the rep will try to sell you their product, but I would like to have actual testimonies of those who have worn them for a while.
    I also have our next Endo appt next week. After this past week of DS being sick and having Ketones, I realized I would like to have a meter that measures blood Ketones. Are the only two Precision Xtra and NovaMax? Are they pretty much the same? Are there any differences between them? I think I am just going to use it as a ketone meter and not the BG meter.
    Or if there are threads that already discusses both of these questions I have if you could let me know. Thanks so much.

2. minniem

minniem Approved members

Medtronic does have software compatible with a mac computer. It's called Carelink. I am not sure on the range of the CGM as we are starting on the CGM next Friday. But we use the medtronic pump and have a mac and it's the same software.

We use the precision meter for ketones. I sent off for the novamax one but since it was so new, I had trouble getting the strips for it. Our endo gave us the precision meter when we started pumping so that's the one we use only for ketones. They told us it was a great ketone meter, but not a great BG meter. So we stick with One Touch for BG's and Precision for ketones. Having the meter is much better than the urine sticks.

Good Luck!:cwds:

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I can only help with the MM cmgs and the precision xtra as I haven't used the other two. First, we love the MM cgms. Its extremely accurate for us, its intergrated with her pump so there is no range that we have to try to find. However we do also have the guardian stand alone unit so that I can see what her bg is doing while on a car ride, or at the park etc, without bothering her. We do use EMLA cream for insertion. I believe the needle for the cgms are the same size, but different lengths. We also wear it for 7 days, not 3. We just hit 'new sensor' on day 3, and actually if you calibrate right before it ends and then hit new sensor you will miss all of about 4min of data, verses 15min if you wait for it to end.

I've never tried the novamax ketone meter. We did use the novamax blood glucose meter extremely briefly when MM switched from BD, then to novamax, then to one touch. I did not like the meter at all so never even bothered trying the ketone one. I do like the precision extra meter, I don't know how strips compare between the two, our are covered under insurance anyway. if you've been using urine ketone strips for a while then switch to blood it can be tricking knowing what the numbers mean. But I'd never ever go back to urine strips having the ketone meter available to us.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We've used the Dexcom for over a year. We love it! Our range is much better than 5 feet. This morning the receiver was in the kitchen & she was in her bedroom...approx 30 ft away...& Dex was reading with no problems. We get that kind of range most of the time. Insertion is easy & accuracy is amazing.

We have both the Precision Xtra & the Nova Max meters. I tested them against each other & the Nova Max did well. I wasn't impressed with the glucose testing accuracy though...it was 60+ pts off from our Contour USB. The Nova Max ketone strips are hard to find here, so we use the Precision. I've never used the Precision for glucose testing.

5. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

After posting this question, I did a search on Novamax. (I know, I should have searched first, sorry:rolleyes:) Sounds like the ketone meter on it is ok, but the strips are hard to find. I think I might go with Precision. Also through my readings, sounds like a lot of people like the freestyle BG monitor. We have the Aviva, but it's always nice to know what people have found that works well for them.
    It's nice to know that the DexCom picked up 30 feet away. S was lying on the couch with the receiver within 5 feet away and it gave a symbol that it wasn't reading. Don't know if it's because it's a demo or not.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

when we use the guardian receiver we get better range than what it says (6ft, I think). I think it also depends on what else you have going on around there, whats going to mess with it reading.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've used Dexcom and Minimed CGMs and I get fewer out of range signals on Dexcom, but minimed could recover the data if I was out of range for ten or twenty minutes so it had more data points at the end of the day.
    For me the biggest most important difference was comfort of the sensor wear- I like Dexcom better. I may reconsider minimed if the enlite sensors become available here.

I use accu chek aviva for glucose and nova max for ketones and have not had difficultly finding nova max ketone strips. And they're cheaper. I have never used the precision xtra.

8. Mommy To 4

Mommy To 4 Approved members

We use the NovaMax ketone meter because insurance doesn't cover strips for us and theirs are 25.00 per box of 10. They can be ordered directly through the company with no shipping charges. I can't find either locally so I go for price of strips in this case because we have to pay out of pocket for them.

9. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

We ordered the free novamax bg / blood ketone and received it very quickly. The strips had to be ordered by our local pharmacy, and since they weren't covered by insurance they (Kroger) ran them through their pharmacy discount program. Ended up payin $22 and some change for a box of ten strips. Much, much cheaper than the Precision. Our endo center requires everyone on a pump to get the precision, and I didn't want to since we'd just put everything together for the novamax. So, our CDE gave us a loaner precision w/ strips and when dd was sick, we used both ketone meters - got identical readings, and honestly the drop of blood needed for the novamax wasn't as large. Not that a few comparison tests can actually say anything about reliability of the Novamax, but so far we love it.

10. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

Just an FYI if you have upgraded your mac operating system to Lion then Medtronic's Carelink program will not work on your computer.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Range varies dramatically for us depending on where he is. (We use MM.) Outdoors is the worst, and our house is the best. We consistently get 20 feet in the house and it will read him between floors. Outside, I have to practically staple it to his forehead to get it to read. But as Jonah said, even if it drops the signal, as long as you get it back in range within 40 min, it will have "saved" the data from when he was out of range, so you have no break in data. It's a nice feature on the MM.

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Range varies for us depending on what other electronics are in on the house. In the evening, when the tv, radios, computer, etc. are off, its range is much greater...from a different floor even sometimes.

13. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My DD used the dexcom for about 18 months. We did like it and found it fairly reliable, despite months of sensor problems that dexcom had. We decided to switch to minimed because she needed a pump with a larger reservoir and we wanted the combo CGM and pump. She actually likes it better than the dexcom. Unlike most on here, she finds them more comfortable. Overall, I think they are both very good, just depends if you want to carry two things or not. That was her main reason for switching CGM's.

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have a new Mac Pro and the Carelink does not work for me.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members