- advertisement -

Dexcom users... quickie answer?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by *Shannon, Jul 13, 2010.

1. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

Just got a Sensor Error #1 on the receiver. The sensor is 7 days old, actually got the change sensor soon msg right before the Err1 msg.

Would you try to restart this sensor, or just insert a new one?

It's 10:25, Janie is extremely sleepy, just had a low of 38 and had a six hour soccer camp today. I am going to stay up two hours to calibrate the sensor either way.

I really do want a working sensor tonight. I've never had a Err1, so I don't know the chances of it recovering if I just restart. I should prob just insert a new one. I hate the thought of only getting seven says though.

What would you do?

2. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

I ended up restarting it after it took a BG and finally gave me a number. I hope when I calibrate in 2 hrs that it behaves itself.

3. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Restarting sounds like a plan to me. For some reason if we put a new sensor in six hours or closer to bedtime we always get ??? For most of the night after he's been asleep for an hour or so. Very frustrating but it always starts working fine when he wakes up and moves his arm around.

I've never had an error message. Good luck

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Did you cal at 38???

You are not suppossed to below 40.

I learne the no cal rule below 40 and above 400 early on.

And yes we have recovered from a sensor error 1 a few times.

5. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

We've had the err 1 message too. Just do a restart. We almost always use a sensor 10-14 days. I try to not go over 14 days.

6. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

We have been able to restart sensors after error #1 before. I agree with the earlier posters-don't calibrate when BG is under 50 or at 400. My daughter had a low in the 40s and entered it into the Dexcom before I could say anything. We ended up with problems until we could force another reading into it a few hours later. We sometimes joke that you can see the smoke coming out of her Dexcom when it is trying to calibrate to a number that is very high or very low!

Hope it worked for you. I hate when the sensor doesn't work overnight. I've really come to rely on the peace of mind I have that it will sound the alarm if I need to handle a high or low during the night.

7. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We've gotten the ERR1 message a few times too. We just restarted and it usually worked fine after that. It seemed to happen to us after the 7th day too. I agree that it's hard not having numbers overnight, especially when you've had an active day, or unstable numbers. We're doing well overnight, but have been getting a lot of ??? on our current sensor. Only when she sleeps - and she's not laying on it. I think not moving can make a difference. And new sensors always are kooky for the first day or two.

Hope it worked out for you!