- advertisement -

Dexcom users! I have questions!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coni1523, Aug 1, 2008.

1. coni1523

coni1523 Approved members

I was wanting to find out about the dexcom CGMS. I am looking at it and wanted to get you input on why you like or dislike it.

I would love any kind of information you can give me. Like how many days you can wear it, Can you restart the same sensor or do you have to start a new one.

2. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

eagerly awaiting responses

oh, i want answers too - I also want to know HOW YOU GOT INSURANCE TO COVER it. we've been declined and appealed numerous times.

3. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I will try to cover what I think.

Pros for us:
    No visible needle. it is in an inserter so my daughter does not need to see the actual needle.
    Very sticky stuff. We do not have to use additional adhesive for it.It is like glue on her body.
    not a large site so we have had no problems with placement.
    1 sensor is stated to last for 7 days. if it fails before hand the company is great about replacing it. Now, the trick is if it fails you can restart it. You just push the same buttons like you were going start a new one and voila. I have had to restart sensors as after the 7 days you can restart them again.
    I like that I can charge it while it is still reading my daughter. It is a plug in charger so at nightime we plug it in or if she is reading on the sofa we will.
    I do like the computer program with it but rarely actually download it.:eek:
    The receiver can really take a beating and is working just fine through it all.
    Oh, if it needs a cailbration, a normal 12 hour one you can get away with not doing one and it will still read. Now, if their is a problem that the receiver is not quite reading things correctly and asks for another cailbration those you cannot get out of.

Cons for us:
    The receiver is not waterproof so there is that measure of doubt when near a pool or snow or rain. My daughter keeps hers in a ziplock baggie for addes security.
    Some sensors will fail in the first 24 hours even if it was a great placement, then we restart it and those actually work the longest but still annoying.
    A 2 hour warm up period before it is reading her.
    Silly, but I wish the receiver came in other colors as well.

All in all we love the device, the customer service of the company, the ease of using it, replacing things. My daughter loves it and does not want to be without it.
    That is the major I can think of right now.
    Allene