- advertisement -

Dexcom Troubles "???"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by malyssa, Apr 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I inserted a new sensor this morning. I waited the two hour start-up period, and then when it alarmed for the two bg readings, I entered them (186, 176) and the Dex put me at a 184. It was reading really accurately (as did my last sensor) for hours, up until about 6pm. That was when it gave me the "???". I was like, okay, I'll just wait it out and see if it starts reading okay again. Well, it finally started giving me readings again, greeting me with a "Under 55 Alarm." I tested and was 39. Didn't feel it. So it continued to give me readings for about a half hour longer until I got the "???" again. I have had "???" for over an hour now.

So, I know why it gave me the "???" the first time; because I dropped from 244 to 39 in about 45 minutes, but I'm not sure about why I am getting it now. Is it because my bg is changing really fast because of the low again? Is the sensor bad? The last time it kept giving me this, my sensor failed the next day.

Any suggestions on what to do? :(:confused:

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

My mom used one of the first generations of Dexcom and it gave her that message when she was dropping fast. That's one of the reasons she returned it! She NEEDED it to alarm when it was dropping fast but they said it didn't work with a fast drop.

I don't know about the new Dex 7 -- I'm curious if they've fixed that problem.

3. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

I was on the phone with customer service earlier today for other issues with our Dex receiver and was told that the ??? is an indicator of a sensor failure. We have had that and then been able to get things going again but today I was told sensor failure. According to them you should then change your sensor, at least going by what I was told today. Call them with sensor serial number and they should send you a free replacement and ask you to return the failed one to them.

4. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Malyssa,
    Alli gets these after her shower. Once the transmitter dries out it goes back to reading just fine. I am not sure if this is the case with you but it always seems to happen with us.

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

With the old Dexcom we got the ??? alot especially with fast changes in bg. With the Plus we rarely see ???. For a few minutes when she gets out of the bath and if the sensor is bad. We'll see ??? for hrs at a time and when we see readings they are 20+ points off. We have tried restarting or waiting it out and have not seen any improvement once we have a sensor with ??? for more than hr on the Plus. It has meant we needed to start a new sensor.

Honestly I don't blame the system when things aren't going well. I think I need more experience with my insertion technique.:eek: If we have a good sensor the Plus works wonderfully for us. When things aren't going well for us it is always a bad sensor and Dexcom is great to send a free replacement. I couldn't say that about the old system. It had frustrations all of its own.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So if you go swimming you will not get good readings at the pool? I enjoyed getting good readings at the pool last year.

7. Jordansmom

We swam at Disney last week but she didn't take it down to the pool. Maybe someone with more experience can speak up, but I am doubtful.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So you left on the transmitter but did not take the receiver down to the pool?
    I love not having to test wet hands at the pool.

9. Jordansmom

Yes. We didn't bother taking the receiver to the pool. We swam late in the evening after a big dinner and spiking so I wasn't concerned about lows and I was doubtful we'd get a good reading while it was wet. That is a problem I forsee with the Dexcom because we get ??? at the end of a shower until we towel dry the sensor. I'd think because of the range they'd have to get out of the pool regardless.

But I shouldn't comment on something I don't have experience with. Maybe someone else with a Dex has good experiences swimming.???

The transmitter stayed on great with a week of Disney and nightly swimming and no extra tape.

10. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks everyone for the fast responses. After three hours of "???" I just got a high alarm and its showing a bg of 377, tested to confirm and I am 407! :eek::( I'm thinking it's just a bad sensor. It happens though. Nothing to blame the dex about. Bad sensors happen with all of the cgms's.

11. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

we haven't had any problems with water and the ??? happening. And we get really good range when we have been in pools. i do not know about the ocean though, just public, very crowded pools.

12. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Well, the readings were short lived. :( I have ??? again. I'm just going to change it out now before I go to bed, and drink a bottle of water to make sure I'm hydrated while it's starting up and everything. I just want to make sure I have a working, accurate sensor for tomorrow morning, as I take my placement tests for the college I will be attending. I only have to take the math placement test, which is good, I am exemt from the English placement test because I scored very high on my English HSPA. Oh, sorry for rambling. :eek:

Thanks for your help everyone...I'm off to put in a new one! :cwds:

13. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Thankfully bad sensors are replaced with no trouble.
    Good luck with your tests tomorrow!

14. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thats good to hear, thank you. Every time we've talked to a rep, or territory manager, or someone from costomer service, they have been so helpful, and friendly. It's nice, and reassuring at the same time. However, the trainer today did take the package by accident today, so we might just call her in order to get a replacement for this one, and my first one. She's so nice, and she has actually worn the dexcom on numerous occasions, just so she could sort of relate to how it would feel to wear it.

Thank you so much. I'm kind of nervous about the test. I'm not a fan of math, though I'm not bad at it, ya know...it just stinks, because I was 4 points away on my HSPA scores to qualify for exemption! :rolleyes: Thanks again. :)

15. ErikB

ErikB Approved members

Like I mentioned in another post, we were at the pool for hours and did not have problems. We had accurate consistent readings the whole time, unless he went out of range. We put the receiver in a ziplock bag and had it on a table by the side of the pool.

The only problem we had was since it was closer to day seven than day one (I don't remember how many days he had the sensor in) the pool water helped the tape to come loose sooner than normal. We'll have to try to get it taped down better if he's going to spent that much time in the pool.

16. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

We have the 7 plus. We are getting alot more ??? on our third sensor....then her numbers are not as accurate.

We also have NO luck in the pool. We have a pool in our backyard. I sat pool side, she was right next to me. Out of range the whole time. We do not get ??? in the shower. We have not seen that at all yet.

I will say I am dissapointed with the pool. I was really hoping that would work. We have tried it 5 times with 3 different sensors and 2 transmitters and it didnt work at all in the pool. Any suggestions to make that work would be great!!!!

Good luck on your exams today. I sure hope your next sensor works better.

17. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

We have the seven plus as well. We find that on the first day the last couple of sensors had alot of ???, especially at night. Once we get through the first day the sensor starts to work great for us. When we called the customer service they said not to do anything with the ??? that the machine will adjust itself and then once you start to get readings and if they are off to do three calibration 15 minutes apart and it gets the machine going well. Our last three sensor did the ??? for about 4 hours and then we did not see them again for the rest of the seven days.

18. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Exactly what we had with this sensor!! It was at night. 10:00pm first two readings were great she was in the 90's. Then it shot up to 212 then 333 I recalibrated it alarmed 55 (she was still in the 90's). Then it went to ??? for several hours and then it worked better. It did have more ??? the next day and two hours of ??? in the morning Sunday morning. We havent done anything when it does that . Just let it be, we arent the best comparison though. As we have not had great luck with consistancy overall.

19. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I am getting a little nervous about upgrading after reading this post!

We have never gotten a few hours of ???
    I may upgrade one of the systems and see if we have the same issue.

I know that the new transmitter is supposed to be more sensitive but I wonder why at start up this would cause a ???.

Could someone let the sensor sit for 5 hours before putting the transmitter in and doing the start up? See if "wetting" the sensor will make a difference? Maybe becuase the new transmitter reads the signal so much more often and "better" it is a "wetting" issue. I know some on a MM will preinsert a sensor and leave it so that it will be ready when they switch. I can only wonder if that would help here.

We get the same accuracy on day one that we do on day 7 and if the increased sensitivity of the transmitter is going to give us ??? for hours I would be MAD!

I am glad it starts working shortly after it is calibrated, but a few hours of ??? would drive me nuts!

If someone can stick a sensor in a few hours in advance that has been having this problem before turning off the old one and sticking the new transmitter on I would really appreciate it to see if that clears up the ??? thing.

One other thing to try is when the start up calibration asks for 2 blood drops put one in and then wait 20 minutes before adding the second.

When I do that I get great #'s from day one.

AH I wish I had a plus so I could test this out myself, because I feel bad trying to give info to people with a different system if the details of how to get it to work are going to be different!

Thanks in advance guys.

20. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Tech support just told me to do the same thing. Put in the new one and let it sit before starting it.

I dont mean to discourage you! It may just be us. What do you think makes it work better with spacing out the two blood calibrations/?? They were very clear that we should test test and then put them in back to back. Not even test enter and test enter. Make sense??? I trust your opinion!

Thanks

Also Betty, Judy has the 7 plus and has had NONE of these problems. She is spot on from the first calibration.