- advertisement -

Dexcom - starting today on our own questions

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by selketine, Sep 26, 2011.

1. selketine

selketine Approved members

Here is the first of many questions from reading the literature. Supposedly the Dex will be here today and I plan to insert tonight so....

1) horizontal vs. vertical? The guide says to always have the sensor horizontal and not vertical on the skin. There wasn't a reason that I could find. Do you never put it vertically? We will probably try the back of the arm and I don't think vertical would be the best for that spot.

2) don't charge while sleeping? The guide says best not to charge the Dex while sleeping. Charge in the daytime while inactive for 3-5 hours. There is no day time where he is "inactive" for 3-5 hours (like working a desk job - ha ha!). Do you charge at night?

3) baby monitor? I'll read the threads but if there is one you want to point me at feel free. I was thinking of putting the Dex receiver in a bag with the baby monitor and setting that next to his bed.

4) restarting - do you just tell it you removed the sensor and then tell it you put in a new one? With the Nav we had to unclick it.

5) extra tape? Should I start out using some extra taping around the sensor tape already there? Do most people use extra tape? I really need 7 days out of these. With the Nav I had to use an underbandage because he was allergic to the sensor tape but I plan to start out the Dex with no underbandage.

6) ??? - Can it happen that the Dex gives ??? but doesn't warn you that it isn't reading numbers - so you could go low, for example, overnight and it not ever beep because it has the ??? going on? The Nav would always alarm if it went for 15 mins or so with no data.

7) Is there a battery to change in the transmitter? I didn't see anything about charging the transmitter or changing the battery but maybe I missed it?

Thanks!
    Carol

2. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

1. We insert vertically when on the back of the arm Horizontal when inserting on the upper butt cheek.

2. We do charge at night sometimes, just be sure it's close to him or there won't be a signal.

3. We use a baby monitor, I have it on a glass plate and put the dex there too.

4. If it's before sensor expires, then do a Stop sensor then Start sensor. If you wait unitl after it expries, then just do a Start sensor.

5. We use extra tape but not until it starts coming loose.

6. Yes, you can have the ??? and not know. There is no alarm for that, which is a big design flaw.

7. There is a battery in the transmitter, but you can't recharge it. Once it starts to get weak you may end up seeing the out of range signal when the receiver is right next to him.

Good luck, hope you have great success with the dex. We love it (most of the time!).

3. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Ditto! Good luck!

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The only answers I'd give differently:

1: The manual assumes you're using the abdomen. Placing the sensors horizontally on the abdomen reduces risk of hitting something important.

2: What matters a little bit is that if you charge for 8 hours at a time, the battery will die quicker. I would say this is not a big deal. I sometimes charge overnight but try not to.

5. I have not found that extra tape helps, and it irritates my skin.

6. Yes, and this is a problem.

7. Isn't it awesome?

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My answers in red. Good luck with your first insertion.

6. selketine

So....why does the battery die quicker if it is charged longer? Can it be overcharged like some batteries and harmed?

Thanks for all the responses!

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

We almost always charge at night and we had our last transmitter around 1 year until it just died from <!>.

I will say that we suspect that charging affects reception and it can go into ??? while charging.

We place vertically on the back of the upper arm.

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

It really doesn't take that long to charge, an hour seems to almost always give a full charge. We keep one charger near her computer and another near the chair that she sits to watch tv, now that we have two of them. I have never charged it overnight and her first one is still working after a year and a half, although we did notice that the new screen is significantly brighter than the old one. It happened so gradually we didn't even see it.
    We didn't want to use a baby monitor and listen to her snoring, so we now use the Sonic alarm. If the monitor doesn't work out for you, the Sonic will do it.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yes, according to the Dexcom tech support.

10. Diana

Diana Approved members

We just used to charge it every morning while he ate breakfast and watched cartoons - maybe 30 minutes each morning? We never had a problem, and it was fine if we accidentally missed a day.

We weren't able to charge at night because it would reduce the range and the signal would get dropped.

11. selketine

Well it came and I put it on and just calibrated and it is working so far - all of 10 minutes! I guess we'll still get up and check on him tonight as usual when he isn't wearing a cgms.

12. lisac

lisac Approved members

That's a pretty good idea:) We just started Hadlee on the Dexcom about 2 weeks ago and the 1st week was CRAZY! We could only get good numbers for a few min. at a time, then it would go WAY higher or WAY lower than her actual bg. We've gotten the kinks worked out now and it's GREAT!!!

13. Diana

Diana Approved members

Well, benefit number one will be readily apparent - you don't have to wait 10 hours for numbers!! Yay!

I hope it goes smoothly for you. I had a hard time adjusting to numbers every 5 minutes vs every minute. It somehow made it seem that the lag time was way longer on the Dex. I don't think it really is though.

14. lisac

lisac Approved members

We have not noticed much of a lag at all:)