advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dexcom Share (like MySentry)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by stevecu, Apr 6, 2013.

1. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Check this out on Diatribe.com http://www.diatribe.org/issues/53/new-now-next/3

In February, Dexcom submitted an application to expand the label for the G4 Platinum CGM (continuous glucose monitor) to pediatric patients who are as young as two years old. The FDA normally responds to these applications after 180 days, and we expect a decision from the agency during the second half of 2013. Currently, the G4 is only approved for those who are 18 years and older. Though some children are now using the CGM, they are using it ?off-label,? and not all healthcare providers (HCPs) are comfortable prescribing therapies in this way. CGM can be a tremendous help for improving glycemic control and avoiding hypoglycemia (see conference pearls from diaTribe #51), and most HCPs and researchers believe the G4 Platinum is currently the most accurate CGM on the US market. This approval would give greater access to children who currently have difficulty getting a prescription for the G4.

Dexcom is also working on a new remote monitoring product, Dexcom Share. The product is a cradle that holds the G4 Platinum receiver and plugs into a power outlet at a user?s bedside. Data from the G4 Platinum are then sent via the cradle (using Bluetooth) to a nearby smartphone. That phone then uploads the data to a web-based platform, where it can be monitored by parents or caregivers on their own cellphones. At the ATTD conference, Dexcom showed a picture of a father on a business trip in a taxi, checking his phone with a sigh of relief that his daughter?s CGM reading was 150 mg/dl. Dexcom?s goal is to submit Dexcom Share to the FDA in the second half of 2013, meaning it could be on the market in 2014. Dexcom Share is similar in concept to Medtronic?s FDA-approved remote monitor mySentry ? the key difference is that Share will send CGM readings to smartphones and the web, while mySentry sends pump and CGM readings to a bedside monitor within 50-100 feet.?MN/AB​

Tough to google for more info, and the search returns mostly links to articles on the stock price. :)

2. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Can anyone tell me how to cross-post a thread? This really belongs over in the CGM forum, but I wanted people to see it. :cwds:

Do I have to just post it twice?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So I'm a dinosaur and have the last non-smart phone on earth... if you had this, would it need some sort of app that would make it alarm when the numbers hit the low and high mark? Sorry to be so dense :eek:

4. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

So it would have to be plugged into a wall outlet to send data to a smartphone? When she's in bed is the only time I don't want or need it sent to my phone...

Edited to add, I don't mean to be a downer, I just thought they were ahead of this :)

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Why would they only ask approval to age 2? Seems to me a newborn with D needs it at least as much as a 2 year old.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's probably hard to find enough kids younger than 2 to do the FDA trials on.

7. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Yeah, after I read this I was moderately excited about it. Then I thought about when we'd actually be able to use it, and I realized the answer is just about never. First I thought only at night because it's the only time he stays in one place, but the receiver already picks up a signal from my bedroom so I don't really need it then.

Then I thought, well it would be useful for parents of small children with diabetes, but the same solution applies for the most part - the receiver already has enough range to work all over the house.

It would be useful when Sean is home, and we're out. Because it's not just boosting the signal for greater range (like MySentry), it's uploading to the cloud and I could monitor his numbers from miles away. But he'd have to be in one place with the receiver docked.

Where this will really become useful is when they eliminate the need for the dock and have the transmitter talking directly to a smartphone (G5?) which then uploads to the cloud from anywhere with a cell signal, for a parent or other to monitor from afar.

I suspect this device might allow them to test out the cloud part of this scenario without waiting for the whole new system to get approval.

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

Well, you could use it when the child was at school or in a day care setting, The teacher could have the unit plugged in and the parent could get alerts while at work. Or when the child was at a sleepover, or just at grandmas for the day.

Just at night, in the home, not really as functional, though, there are families who don't get good range in their homes. But for a parent who travels a lot and has to leave their child in someone else's care, that could be a wonderful item.

The version of the G5 that we've seen has the data going direct to a smartphone alrady, so I wonder if this will come out with the g5.

The only thing I disagree with this is this; At the ATTD conference, Dexcom showed a picture of a father on a business trip in a taxi, checking his phone with a sigh of relief that his daughter?s CGM reading was 150 mg/dl.
    Because you know if this were real life, the reading would show 350 with two up arrows and the father would start swearing. LOL.

9. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

When dd participated in the trial last August, FDA only approved the trial down to age 2, so I think it was driven by the FDA. I completely agree that this seems odd, but maybe it's still possible to Rx off label.

Sounds like the cradle must read the device and upload / send it via bluetooth to the smartphone, though I question how helpful that will be. Bluetooth usually requires some degree of proximity, so for the Dad in a taxi bit to work means there's a smart phone at home and one on the road. I am not buying any of my kids (or myself) a smart phone. I don't mind the idea of cloud storage and making that accessible to either smartphone, tablet, or computer, but come on. Couldn't they make the cradle wifi capable and have it upload straight to the cloud, skipping the first smartphone device?

I don't for a second equate this to MM MySentry - it doesn't upload anything and only transmits data to a room nearby, when it works, which is for between 40 an 60% of the people who purchase it. MySentry can't even be firmware upgraded - so much wrong there. MM is also working on similar bluetooth, smartphone, cloud tech. My guess is both companies will want a subscription for access to those features, and I'm not likely to pay for that. My kid can text me if she's old enough to be away from me, right?

That, of course, is the positive side of this line of thinking. When my kid's at a sleepover, at a non D camp, maybe even when she's away at college and possibly not feeling well, it'd be a way to share numbers and trends.

Of course, as I type this, Dex started alarming. I checked after she ignored the third alarm and it's gone from two hours of ??? to the hour glass, and the ten minutes it 'read' in between put her at nearly 400. Finger stick says she's 200. Maybe both companies should focus on making sensor accuracy better before producing equipment that makes us even more likely to make care decisions straight from cgm without a finger poke to verify?

10. hawkeyegirl

I wish someone with some engineering know-how could explain to me why the transmitter cannot simply transmit to a smartphone. With all of the technology that is out there today, it seems to me like it just can't be that hard.

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

That may be something they are working on. I don't know but there may be extra FDA hurdles with that as well. You'd have to test all the different kinds of phones etc.

We got to demo one of the transmitters a few months ago. Since they publicly announced it I'm guessing I can talk about it now. :D

The demo model was kind of awkward but it holds the G4 then transmits data to a smart phone which needs to be nearby. You can control who gets the alerts and set parameters.

It would be great for things like sleepovers and as someone else mentioned daycare or even a class setting. You could set alerts to let the nurse know for instance. And just thought of another one, shared custody. Both parents could keep track.

It would also be great for college age kids. While you could block your parents you could have it text a friend or room mate so they could be alerted if you went to low for instance.

Considering how long it takes anything to get through the FDA this seems like it would be a good add on for some people. If the price point weren't outrageous we'd definitely get one.

One of the things I'm finding I really love about the G4 is that I don't have to ask her where her numbers have been at all day. I can just look. And this device would make it so I could do the same when she's not home without bugging her, which she hates.

12. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

I'm almost certain that's exactly what the G5 does. I saw an interview of the Dexcom CEO or CIO (I forget his name, but the big bald guy) at CES and he was wearing / demoing the G5 and his receiver was an Android phone.

Tr? Cool.

13. hawkeyegirl

I cannot tell you how much I want this technology. Can you imagine? Life. Changing.

14. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

I'm right there with you. But after all these years waiting on MM to bring product to market, I'm not holding my breath. Though, with Dexcom, I am hopeful.

Honestly, right now, I am just thrilled to have an actual CGM. We just restarted our second G4 sensor and I cannot get over the night and day experience compared with sof-sensor. This is also life changing. I just wish we'd had it when Sean was younger.

By the way, thanks for the Terry Gregg interview. I'm watching it now.

15. hawkeyegirl

Well, Dexcom certainly seems more adept at actually getting their products to market than MM does, so that helps. Our warranty is up on our MM transmitter on April 25th, so we are ordering a Dex system then. I'm so disappointed that the reviews of the Enlite sensor are underwhelming, and so many people love the Dex that I figure we need to give it a try. We're also out of warranty on our pump, and no idea what to do there....

16. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Yes, that's where I get my hope from. But I don't want to set us up for more frustrating disappointment like we've had with MM.

I'm sure our transmitter was well out of warranty and I kind of wish we'd had it replaced before switching, in case we do want to try the enlite later. But honestly, after experiencing the G4, I have a hard time even considering any other MM product, including the pump.

We went that way purely for the integration, but this accuracy overrides that by a mile. I'm looking at much tighter control with far fewer fingersticks.

In this interview, Mr. Gregg says Vibe this year, t:slim mid next year. both of those are before our warranty is up and either would be an acceptable path for us. Though I didn't catch the G5 timeline, and I think that renders integration moot for many of us.

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes for us that would be life changing too.

18. hawkeyegirl

We currently have 3 old, but still working MM transmitters, so that helps my comfort level in trying Dexcom. We'd still be able to easily transition back to MM if for some reason the Enlite worked better for us.

I just found an interview with Gregg from earlier this year where he says 2015 is the goal for G5. Tandem originally thought they would wait to integrate with G5, but now they are going to integrate with G4, and that timeline is 2014 sometime. I agree that integration becomes less important with the G5 capabilities. The interview did also mention a G4+ with an improved algorithm for heightened accuracy, but no timeline there. One would have to assume that it will be before the G5, however.

We are now a year out of warranty on our MM pump, so I need to decide soon. I wish Tandem offered trials, but you actually have to buy the pump and then return it if you don't like it, which seems like a pain to me. I should see if there is a rep in our area so I could at least touch the thing.

ETA: Here is that interview: http://insulinnation.com/trend-setter-dexcom-ceo-terry-gregg/#.UWmTAXy9KSM

19. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Yeah, we still have at least one working transmitter as well. But I think our backup is now dead.

I spoke with Tandem last week and I thing the t:slim is $7,000, and I don't get the impression they're having any trouble selling all they can manufacture. I was hoping maybe they had a competitive upgrade offer or something like what Animas used to offer. I'd be will to go put-of-pocket to some extent to switch at this point but $7k puts it well out of reach.

Also I just realized you weren't the OP on the Terry Gregg interview I just watched, but thanks for this one.:)

20. selketine

selketine Approved members

William's pump is out of warranty also and he wanted a t:slim but the insurance already denied it. Probably we'll end up with Animas - which is fine. It doesn't matter to me but since he wanted the other pump I am deciding whether to fight the insurance or not. I'm not sure if there are enough differences between the two that I can make a case.

I am very happy with the G4 though - no problems there!