- advertisement -

Dexcom Share is Out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I feel like if we want to have the option of checking in on our daughter via one of these programs, we are pretty much backed into a corner with the Nightscout. Reason being is that it is portable. She can stick it in her kit and just put it down wherever she happens to be. With the share, she has to carry around a brick (lets face it, it is big for being on the go) and has to be near an outlet. I'd prefer the Share as I said because we are an iPhone family. We'd have to get her an Android to carry around and she won't be happy since she has all her stuff on her iPhone, and she won't want to carry two phones around, even if the other one would sit in her kit (one more thing to schlep and weigh the bag down). The Share is fine if you aren't going to be mobile, example, at a friends house or having someone here staying with her, but for dance class, theater club, etc. Share just isn't a viable option :(

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Using Nighscout, the phone you use to upload from the Dexcom receiver to the cloud is not really usable as a phone - think of it as an uploader only. The developers chose android for this purpose because they are cheaper and more versatile phones. You can read the data on any phone (or any internet connection, actually - our school nurse keeps tabs on him via her browser). So your daughter would not have to stop using her iPhone, but she would have to carry something else.

It's no contest for us - Nightscout is portable where Share is not, full stop. Carrying the phone is trivial considering all the other crap we carry; at school it sits on the back of his chair and is only on his person between classes or on the walk to school. And for Grandma's, play dates, sleepovers (eventually we hope!) and just hanging out, it gives him freedom he hasn't had since diagnoses. As someone eloquently said on another thread, remote monitoring via Nighscout allows diabetes to fall into the background for him because I've got his back.

That said, I am thrilled that Dexcom developed Share. They are listening to what patients want and need and developing a reasonably priced solution. The reason Nightscout rocks is that it is patient-led and circumvents the FDA. Use at your own risk; it is not plug and play.

What should/will happen next will be a hybrid: instead of a Dexcom receiver you'll use your phone, and an app to selectively turn on or off access to the data to a third party via the Internet. That will be cool.

3. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Got the Share yesterday and took it over to her house to hook it up. She has been sleeping through the alarms and waking up high some mornings. The range is much more than 20 feet in her house, even through a couple of walls. I woke up this morning worried that it hadn't worked, because I got no alarms. Took a look, and saw an awesome graph where she topped out at 131. I'm in love!

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We got a share about a week ago. Honestly we only intend to use it for Sleepovers. My 9 year old is pretty responsible and I don't feel that I need to watch her BG every second of the day so I don't really have a need for Nightscout. She responds to lows at school by just getting a piece of candy out of her Diabetes bag and corrects the low. The whole idea of buying all these new phones and plans and pieces part and watching videos etc. just seemed sort of overwhelming when I could just get a Share for what I needed.

We live in an area where having an iPhone is the norm. I can only think of one person I know that has something other than and iPhone. So, that being said, we didn't get a new phone. If she sleeps out, I'll just send mine or one of her grandparent's phones with her. When she gets a couple of years older, her phone would likely be an iPhone anyway and who knows what may be out by then.

Share is very sturdy. The dex slips right onto the dock easily and setup is fast and easy. Download an app on each phone, turn on your bluetooth and you are set. I'll just have to make sure that she is signed on to the wifi at her friends house so she doesn't use up all my data. If nightime is all you need, then I recommend the Share.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I thought I would just get the Share but after chatting with users we're going to get her set up in "the cloud". It's cheaper and more portable and even though it will kill my DH to buy anything but an iPhone, I'm convinced that it's a better fit for our needs. It's good that there are options. '-)

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I am waiting for whatever comes next, primarily because I can not imagine spending another dollar on a phone of any kind. I detest my mobile phone bill.

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Daughter is back home now and we have still found a good use for the Share, that is that she can have the cradle in her room at night and my phone is the back up if she doesn't wake to the alarms. I used to have to hang her Dex on a doorknob between the two rooms. I like that the Share makes it easy to know whether she is high or low because of the customized alarms that I have set. That being said, we have had two terribly inaccurate sensors this week since downloading the new software two weeks ago.

8. Beach bum

After some hiccups, we are finally up and running with the Cloud and a Pebble watch. Initially we had watch paired with her phone, but I found it to be excessive since she is carrying the meter, CGM, Android and then an iPhone. So, much to her chagrin, I paired it up with the Droid. Sadly now she can't run her music from the watch, which she was getting a kick out of!

We used it this weekend at a friends house and it worked well until she decided to charge the phone overnight, forgetting that by disconnecting it also disconnects the link. So, that was useless for us. She was fine as she has the CGM, but in some ways I do wonder if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth... Give me a few days to get a warm fuzzy feeling!

9. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Just ordered our Share today!

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We got our Share when it came out. Plan on using it at home and at events or sleepovers. I ordered the Mophie Power station XL power pack. On sale right now on Mophie website. I have heard it will power the Share for a very long time. He is almost 18 and does not want or need to carry this around in the daytime. This does give us a piece of mind when he is sleeping over at friends and even when he went camping when he had cell service. We already had iPhones.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  11. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

This is a great idea. So far I like the share very much, except for having to buy an iphone. We don't need it for everyday, daytime use.

12. Beach bum

Does the share have an app like Nightscout for the Pebble watch?

13. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Although the pebble watch is supposed to be compatible with ios devices, it doesn't look like it would work for the follower.
    There are two apps. (CWD needs an ipod touch or iphone an downloads an app called Dexcom share. Parent downloads an app called dexcom follow on his iphone.
    CWD invites parent, (up to 5 people) etc to "follow"
    (The list does not include the pebble watch though).
    Here is Dexcom's list of compatible devices http://www.dexcom.com/faq/what-devices-are-compatible-dexcom-share-and-follow-apps

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  14. theramosfam

theramosfam Approved members

Good Evening - I'm exceptionally confused. I have a son 13yrs, who is also Autistic. We have the Omnipod (tubeless) and Dexcom devices for his D1 management. However, in regards to the Dexcom Share vs. Night scout, it seems as if Night scout is the key to monitoring him, with less equipment? Meaning, with the Share he'll need to carry, 1) the share, Dexcom monitor, power brick, and Iphone...somehow on his body all day as he walks through the middleschool. vs. the Nightscout where he can carry Dexcom, and a purchased (pay as you go) Android in his pocket. He's the problem. Schools don't allow kids to carry phones to class, and let's say they did, for this purpose, how can he carry this around with him all day? I'm confused, by Dexcom's misleading commercial....where it shows a cartoon pic of a child in class...leading you to believe he/she is monitored. Please, please help me understand, what I'm missing here? Thank you. :(

15. Beach bum

My daughter carries a larger kit, about the size of a paperback book with her kit and the "rig." So in it is the Droid attached to the Dex, her meter, strips and poker. All in one place. I just alerted the school that she was carrying a phone. She knows it's only for the Nightscout. I told the school that it is solely for running the system and that unless a problem arises, I didn't feel it was necessary to have it written into her 504 plan. LOL, it was my nice way of saying "my kid will be carrying a phone and don't even think of saying no." Our school has always been really supportive of us, so it wasn't a problem. Plus, she also wears a pebble watch so the rig doesn't even come out of her kit. All info is beamed right to the watch.

16. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We have nightscout. I put the uploader phone in my son's 504. I made it very clear that it was for uploading only, and part of his medical device, that could not accept calls or texts, and I put a password on it (which I gave to the nurse). No one bat an eyelash.

Perhaps the Share presumes you'd get a Share to plug in at school?

17. theramosfam

theramosfam Approved members

Is it true that once you add NightScout, you basically kill off the Dexcom warranty?

18. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I would practice don't ask don't tell.

19. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Nope. It's not like you are taking the receiver apart.

20. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

The Dexcom receiver has a USB port to charge the device and upload to their software, Studio. You can also upload to third-party software such as Diasend and the forthcoming Tidepool. All you are doing with Nighscout is uploading to yet another platform for viewing YOUR DATA, and this particular platform happens to connect to the cloud for remote viewing.