- advertisement -

Dexcom Share is Out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's not, I guess what I meant to say was, if there is port damage and you call in, choose your words wisely. Since NightScout isn't an approved product by Dex, I wouldn't say "the port slid in when we were plugging it back in to the NightScout after downloading…"

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

the Moto G android phone that most are using is $60.00 and a OTG cord is $5.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, at least you got an actual explanation. I just got "No Way." :wink:

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

You're all ahead of me as mine refuses to wear the dexcom period. I'm hoping she'll change her mind at some point but for now she absolutely refuses.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I bribed mine - $100 to try it for a week. I was out $100 but he fell in love with it. :smile:

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I still have to bribe for each sensor, she doesn't mind once its in.... But they don't work well for us..

7. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

You could try Tegaderm HP (Holding Power) under the sensor. Its a stronger glue than other Tegaderm and most transparent dressings. Take a small piece and round the corners with scissors, cut a hole for the sensor wire. Put it on, then put the sensor on top of it. We used to have to do this with pump sets and we never even had one curl up around the edges.

8. KatieSue

She was in love with it, in fact she was the one who asked for one. Then she did a trial where she had to wear two, she was done after that. I'm hoping she'll come back to it.

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Ours stick.... boy do they stick but Rachel just doesn't get results. I've called in the one she is wearing now because we had sensor failed within 3 days. But I did try a restart and it's going sporadically now.. It seems to not work during the day and then work during the night.. Body position? very frustrating.

10. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

My 16 year old daughter plays tennis and has Nightscout...sort of. We only use the SMS function...no Mongolab or Azure. It's very handy to have during tennis matches! She keeps her tennis bag out on the court with her, which keeps the Dex in range, and I get a text every 20 minutes as to what her bg is. That way, she can just worry about playing tennis without having to worry about her bg. We may add in the Pebble so that she'll get texts - the jury is still out on that one.

11. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We, too, are happily using Darryl's version of Nightscout. It works for us...when our Dexcom port isn't fried, and our cable isn't fried and new ones on backorder :frown::frown:.

12. Jordansmom

I'm liking the Dexcom Share so far. The App lets the follower set all sorts of annoying sounding alarms. Even crying baby. My DD is going to try following herself because she's bad about ignoring alarms. She thinks she pays better attention to her phone.

You can also set all your own alarm thresholds on your phone. And whether you want to know about highs, lows, or just urgent lows. As well as an alarm for no data. All with their own sound.

What I didn't expect was when we first connected it, it sent me data for the previous 24 hours. I thought it would just send from when it was docked. I'm not sure if my 18 year old will like that. :wink:

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

How does it work with her phone? Can she get calls/texts/use it in general while it is sending data? If my daughter had it running the Share could I call her on the same phone if she weren't waking? Or is that phone dedicated to the CGM like on Nightscout?

Also, what model iPhones do you have?

14. Jordansmom

The manual has one warning about phone calls during "sharing". It says you should check with your cellular carrier to see if their network supports using voice and data at the same time. If it doesn't then it won't share until you end your call. But yes you can use your everyday iPhone to share and to follow. You just set the Dexcom in the cradle and it charges while it shares. Your phone has to have Bluetooth and an internet connection (cellular data or wifi). Her phone has the share app and it sends her data to my phone. I have the follow app. Easy. She can choose when to share data. I can choose when I want my phone to alarm and what the sound will be.

The Dexcom charges while its in the dock and the manual recommends you charge your phone at the same time.

She has an old 4S and I have a 5. I'm giving her the 5 and getting a 6. iPod touches work too.

ETA: it looks like she can choose to let me see her trend graph and receive alarms or just get the alarms. That's cool. So someone older could keep their privacy and still have someone backing them up at night. Another feature I like is that the follower can also choose a delayed response to highs or lows. So you can say don't tell me she's over 200 until she's been over 200 for an hour. And you can set how often you want the alarm to repeat. Highs, lows, urgent lows, all with their own settings. The notifications show up on your lock screen and in the app as well as make the sound you've chosen.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  15. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Can you set different alarms for day and night? That's one thing I/we miss most about Medtronic.

16. Jordansmom

No. But you probably wouldn't use the share during the day anyway, because it is a decent sized cradle that has to be plugged in for power.

ETA: but if you wanted to change your settings for day and night, it's less touches in the app than sending a text.

17. KatieSue

A dad on a group I belong to has been using a portable back up battery to power the share. He's had good luck so far and the battery seems to be lasting 14hours or so.

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

As always, Kerri gave a good, unbiased review. I hope Dex reads the comments section.

20. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

We are up and running on the Share and love it. :)