- advertisement -

Dexcom Share is Out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Oct 20, 2014.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We still plan on using Dexcom receiver just at night when Vibe comes out. Pump and receiver will pick up information. I ordered Dexcom Share because all I want is nighttime numbers. He is 17 is does not want to carry a pack around. I thought it was a deal for $299 and $5 shipping.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

But did it alarm for YOU at home or only her?

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We use a Vibe pump during the day and receiver only when Rachel is at home... she doesn't want to carry the receiver which is fair enough. Using both suits us really well and I can imagine Dexcom share being great for her nights at Boarding School.. now we just have to get more than 3 days per sensor :(

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That's what I was wondering. Our port slid inside the unit with just charging it and Dex seemed more concerned with it having water damage than anything else. This is why I'm surprised they aren't taking into consideration NightScout and giving harder time with warrantee coverage on the ports. IMO the port design is the weak point of the Dex design.

5. Beach bum

Can anyone share the dimensions of the cradle? I would like my daughter to utilize something like this for after school activities, but I can't imagine her schlepping it around so it stays in range. But, I can't always trust her to acknowledge when the CGM goes off, so it would be helpful.

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD wants the Share after all. It didn't hurt that her roommate dropped out of school and is leaving her alone in her apartment the same week it was approved. That scares me to death. But it's great to have options. Its been shipped already. I really believe Nightscout is the more innovative and exciting option. But the Share is easy. And at 18 years old my daughter is only going to use easy and unobtrusive.

7. Beach bum

Agreed. However, I don't think my daughter would last long with the Nightscout, she'd destroy it, it seems to be a bit fragile for an active 13 year old.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

The cradle needs to be plugged in for it to work. I think that's the downside to having it at school.

I felt the same way until I saw one of the new cases that holds the Dexcom on one side and the phone on the other with one cord that attaches to them. I'm seriously considering this for next Spring when my son will be after school every day for tennis practice and matches. http://www.shapeways.com/model/2616...-moto-g-v1-case.html?materialId=77&li=ostatus

EDIT to add: Just discussed this with my 16 year old. He said "No way". Guess that's the end of that discussion. :wink:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  9. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Same here, more or less. My daughter is 12 years old and she tends to play hard, so I don't think Nightscout accoutrements would last long. Plus she'd balk at having to shlep around even more stuff. The bottom line is, she is pretty good about not ignoring Dexcom alarms during the day at school and I get great reception from her Dexcom at home/overnight, so we don't really need it at this point in time. I can see Share being useful when she goes away to college during sleeping hours because Dexcom alarms don't wake her up (even when the receiver is in her bedroom.)

10. Beach bum

I'm just realizing we can't do Nightscout, we are an IPhone family. It seems that it runs on Android:(. Can't understand why Share needs to be plugged in...kind of defeats purpose of using it on the go.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

IF you are using the provided Dexcom cord to hook up Nightscout how is it any different than regular charging.

I am not using the Dexcom cord, but with my Nightscout setup I have not "unplugged" the Dexcom receiver in the last 3 months, only did so for the endo to download yesterday, so for us we are having less wear and tear on the Dexcom receiver now with Nightscout. But we did break a port on one of our out of warranty receivers before we have our current set up.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You can do Nightscout, the phone hooked up to the Dexcom (like being plugged into Share dock) has to be android. that android phone sends up the data to the "cloud" and any type of device that has internet access can view the website that you create.

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well I have 2 using Nightscout 9/almost10 years and 6.5yrs and they have not killed it. It is very much a set-it and forget it type of thing.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Nightscout is easy, now.

Back in July when I started with it was hard so many pieces to pull together and get exactly right.

Now it is an "APP" that is downloaded to the uploader phone and setting up a couple of accounts.

If I had to start from scratch I could have it all done in a few hours at most, compared to the days I took in July to get it all going.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We don't have Iphones or ipods, but we do have Ipads... are they not compatible? Says Dexcom share is only available in the US too.

16. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I tried to download the app to my Ipad to find out for you. It downloads but it blocks you from using it. It says "Incompatible IOS. Your device has not been tested with the Dexcom Follow App. Please install on a compatible device." I'd guess clinical trials and the FDA have something to do with that.

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well that is silly! there are many people that have Ipads and not an iphone or ipod. I wonder about a Mac computer? or the mini?

We have an ipad but no iphones or ipods, same for grammy. SO for us to use the Share it looks like we would have to buy the Share OOP and also buy iphone/ipod to upload or look at data.

Nightscout I had running on wifi for less than $150 for 2 kids, we have expanded in order to have 24hr coverage including the cinder block (cell coverage) school and have now spent $400 for 2 kids.

Nightscout helped me see and react to an pump overdose of insulin yesterday (the pump calculated based on "breakfast" settings instead of lunch settings). A new pump is on the way, should be here tomorrow, but by the time that we got to her she was 59 and 69 carbs much later she was only 188. We have never had this happen in the 8 years we have been with Animas. It was scary to "see" but I felt good that I was able to alert the school that there was an issue before she was asking for help or on the ground. While yesterday was scary because of an overdose, there has been a handful of times that I have been able to tell the adult with my kid to "please do a finger poke" and have a snack, avoiding my kid from actually being low.

Nightscout is not perfect, but I am amazed at how easy it is now to get set up and going.

18. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If you go to http://www.nightscout.info/wiki/labs/nightscout-clickatell, you can download a version of the uploader that I modified to sent text messages to you with your child's BG. No limit on the number of children, or number of phones that the texts go to. You can set any thresholds you want, and any notification intervals for in-range, out-of-range, and no-data. If you don't want alerts, you can text your child's name to the uploader phone and it will text you back immediately with their BG. This version also does not require Mongo or Azure, so you just install the app on your MotoG uploader phone, enter your settings, and you're off and running. It still uploads to Mongo and does everything else the full Nightscout uploader does except for the new "care portal" feature.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We are happily using Darryl's version of Nightscout.

Thank you so much.

20. Beach bum

Yep, so the point is mute for us. Only have iPhones, not going to get an Android just for that. LOL, we'll keep texting numbers back and forth. Plus, just showed her the Nightscout and the Share and she said "nope, I carry enough bulky junk around already." Point taken. So, old rules for testing/texting will continue. Will probably get the Share for going to friends overnight and for my when my parents stay over.