- advertisement -

Dexcom Share is Out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

It's amazing how something I was waiting on pins and needles for 6 months ago now seems so ho-hum.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

If I'm reading the info on it correctly, it has to be plugged in to the cradle for it to work? How is that going to be helpful for kids in school or doing outside activities? Or am I missing something?

http://dexcom.com/share

4. mamattorney

You're not missing anything. It is exactly that. A cradle that has bluetooth in it. The cradle connects to the uploader phone/iPod via bluetooth and then any compatible ios device can read the info from anywhere.

It essentially works exactly the way my household uses nightscout (for overnight readings), but nightscout is Dexcom Share plus so much more.

5. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Mamattorney why do you say nights out is so much more? Also does anybody know if this works outside the US?

6. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Huh. So good maybe for like sleep overs or at grandmas house - but not good for school really - or when out-and-about...

Was hoping for something smaller...

7. mamattorney

Why Nightscout is better than Dexcom Share:

(1) portability. The uploader cradle for Dexcom Share must be plugged into the wall. The uploader for Nightscout is a phone and is completely portable.

(2) less restrictive viewing. While the uploader phone for Nightscout must meet specific criteria, including using the android operating system, any device that can access the internet can view the data regardless of operating system (computer, tablet, phone, pebble watch, etc.). Share can't even be viewed on an iPad or computer - just on an iPhone or iPod touch and you can only share data with 5 people. With Nightscout you could give access to as many people as you want and you can all view simultaneously.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Does anyone know if it would be possible to monitor a bunch of kids at once using this? As in seeing the dex graphs and getting alerts for 30 kids on one iphone.

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Meg - burried in the FAQ it says you can follow 5 sharers. http://dexcom.com/faq/how-many-dexcom-share-accounts-can-i-follow-follow-app

We demoed one a couple of years ago and at the time, for my kid, it didn't seem horribly useful except on overnights maybe. But she was 16 then (18 now) so really not necessary. At the time I could only see it maybe being useful if she lived alone, but then if she's living alone she doesn't want her mommy monitoring her.

Nightscout does everything this does plus a lot more. We're not iphone users so that cost alone would be large, then the dock itself. The only scenario I could see would be if you didn't have the range in your home at night from parents to kids room and you already were iphone users.

10. mamattorney

thought of one more thing I like about Nightscout. Nightscout now alarms for ???. Since Dexcom doesn't even alarm for that, I doubt Share will.

11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

12. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I was talking to a guy at Dexcom about the Share and the information I got was that Dexcom spent millions developing the product not because they thought they would make a lot of money on it but so that it would open the door with the FDA for other better products.

13. MomofSweetOne

Can you elaborate on this more? My teen is asking and wanting more info. She's read your post about the ??? and liked that, but she doesn't see the open number of people who can access it as something she wants. She's been in a situation before with a medical doctor who didn't know D, and she emphatically doesn't want him to have access to her numbers, so in her book, having limits on who has the info is a plus. She's been waiting for Dexcom Share to come out, thinking it would be easier for events/camps/etc. with their no-cell-phone rules to just have the official Dexcom device, but she's weighing everything. The ??? and required iPhone may be deciding factors.

I would like to support Dexcom's initiative in getting this through the FDA - and that they priced it appropriately compared to their competition's fiasco with MySentry.

14. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I hope the cradle is more sturdy than the receiver !!! The cradle has no battery backup.

The sooner they can design a system that doesnt necessarily depend on a specialized receiver, the T1D world will be a happier place (IMO). :)

So: transmitter to phone to cloud service (if desired).

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, if your daughter only wants certain people to have access to the nightscout information, than you only give those people her website. Unless you could guess my son's Nightscout website name, you can't see it.

For me, the big difference between Share and Nightscout is portability. Share is limited to being plugged into a wall. Nightscout, while slightly bulky, can go anywhere. I have no interest in Share.

16. MomofSweetOne

We were told that Share will operate off battery packs available through Radio Shack. Beyond that, though, what is the difference between the two? Can you specify alarm levels different than on the receiver? We're only interested for nights with retreats/youth conferences, etc. rather than daily use.

17. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'm going to say YAY because I am too stupid/confused/lazy to set up Nightscout and really don't have a need for it right now. But Dexcom Share will come in handy when DD heads off to college in six years.

18. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

The Tidepool team is working on a system that will allow users to select who can see their data and who cannot. Medical data security is an issue that needs to be considered.

Security through obscurity is not real security. In the example above, all anyone would need is a simple screenshot of a given NightScout website to know the web address, or someone trusted could divulge it by accident or on purpose. Once it is out, it is out, and in that particular case you would never know who has it.

In the competitive world we live in, I would not want my kids glucose numbers to be generally available. For example, if he were trying out for soccer or perhaps a role in a play, or any number of academic settings, giving potential competitors inside information on how he is reacting to that stress is not something desirable (IMO).

So in the end, for this use case, the data should be somewhat secure. Not Fort knox secure, but somewhat secure.

19. mamattorney

Well it doesn't sing or dance or print money :tongue: A teenager will probably get almost as much out of one as the other if she's just looking for some overnight backup.

However, as a "viewer" I like that I can look at it on my laptop or tablet and don't have to have my phone nearby (I also don't have an iPhone, but my phone's eligible for upgrade, so that's no biggie for me, I'd just get an iPhone). Also, if she's on an overnight with a group and she wants to give her website to one chaperone, she doesn't have to make sure that person has an iPhone.

I don't know the ins and outs of Share, but some small things I like about nightscout:

I like the alarms. The alarms are a constant little song that repeat over and over like an alarm clock until you silence it. I wake to those songs much more readily than to the actual alarms (I don't know what the Share alarms sound like). A negative is that currently the nightscout alarms are permanently set at 80 and 180. Even if you set the dexcom alarms for 90 and 150 (or 70 and 250), nightscout will still alarm at 80 and 180. They're working on making the threshholds variable though.

The ??? and hourglass alarms are great, too.

This is also going to sound strange, and is probably more for viewers, but they have altered the graph on the nightscout so that there is a lot more space between 40 and 180 rather than having equal space between 40 and 300. It makes it very noticeable when you are watching a number rise a few points at a time. It will look like a climb, where on dexcom it looks like a flat line.

They've also added a log to nightscout. You can record your meter bg, an insulin dose given, carbs eaten, other notes like starting a temp basal etc. Again maybe not important for a teenager. We don't use it, but parents with more involved nurses/multiple caregivers love it.

That's about it, really. I mean nightscout is cheaper, it's more flexible and it's constantly updated and improved. On the other hand, it is not secure, nor is it foolproof and I imagine that Share must be extremely stable to pass muster with the FDA.

20. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I'm considering Share. My dd would refuse to wear an extra device or anything bulkier so the fact that it had to sit somewhere plugged in is fine with us. We also latest use iPhones. I also like that it's from Dexcom so I don't have to worry about voiding my warranty with it. Mostly we'd use it at night when our reception is iffy from her room to mine, when I'm put but she's home and when she goes to friends' houses.