- advertisement -

dexcom sensors where can u place them.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coni1523, Dec 19, 2011.

1. coni1523

coni1523 Approved members

Hello, I was just wanting to find out where u can place the dexcom sensor? I am thinking about getting it for my son and wondered if you can place it on your arm, legs, butt, or does it only go on the belly.
    thank you so much for the input.
    Connie

2. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

We use MM, but people put both sensors really anywhere you can put a site. Belly, arms, legs, love handles, upper bottom.

3. coni1523

coni1523 Approved members

if you put it in the arm does it have to go sideways? I was watching the video of it and it said something about not up and down. It had to go sidways.

4. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Our little one wears them vertically on the back of her arms. Dexcom told me that they say to only put them horizontal due to single person insertion, and snagging on clothing, but we have never had a problem as she does not put them in herself.

5. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

To my knowledge, the direction of the sensor doesn't matter.

6. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

we are not quite a month into using dexcom but have put them on her arms, only place she will wear them right now and place them up and down with no issues so far.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son is 17 and inserts his own, and I can promise you that he pays no attention to direction! He uses mostly his thighs, but any regular site area will work.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I use MM, and they should be horizontal on abdomen, vertical on thighs and arms. I'm sure Dex is the same.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Dexcom's training video expects you to only use the belly; Dexcom got in minor trouble with the FDA years ago when some sensors broke off in people's arms so it now recommends only using sensors in the abdomen, which is why it says to go sideways.
    However, many of us, myself included, use other sites. I have tried arms, abdomen, butt, and legs, and it worked everywhere except in my legs, where 2 of the 4 ripped out, 1 out of the four quit abruptly after 5 days, and the other one worked fine.
    When I have had sensors in my arm and butt that didn't work the way they should and called dexcom about it and told them where the sensor was, they replaced the sensor anyhow.