- advertisement -

Dexcom - sensor on the arms

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Amy C., Dec 16, 2013.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son was told not to put the sensor anywhere but on his stomach. I thought the arms could be used.

Why would he be told this? Can the arms be used for the sensor?

He is nearly 20 and I don't go to appointments any longer.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I put my sensors on my arm, actually it is the only place I will put them. They work great and last longer than when I use my stomach.

I alternate every 2 weeks between left and right arm.

3. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

DD has been using arm sites exclusively since starting the Dexcom 4.5 years ago and they have worked great.

I believe it's only been tested/approved for use on the abdomen, so that's all they are allowed to recommend, but many people use other areas, especially arms.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, they're not FDA approved for arms, but many (most) people use them with no issues.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have used arms since around 2009. That is all we have ever used.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We were told arms are fine as long as the sensor is put on horizontally and not vertically. We did forget one time and put it on vertically and it gave good readings.

7. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

As others have said, it's only FDA approved for abdomen. It's also not FDA approved for children, but they still prescribe it and allow them to use it. We actually just got a phone call from their CDE checking on us and she said, "Have you tried his abdomen" and I said, 'Yes, but it doesn't last at all' and she said, 'Okay, it's approved for abdomen so I have to recommend that site.' We have much better luck with arm and love handle sites.

8. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Weird,our CDE said if we use her arms to put it on vertically? I wonder why they would have to be one way or the other?

9. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We were told by the Dexcom rep that if we used it on the arms that it should go vertically. Same with the Thighs, he said stomach and bum should be horizontally.

10. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I've only ever put it on Charlotte's arm vertically!

11. Ali

Ali Approved members

Adult here. Tried thighs, stomach, upper rear area and arms. Several times! Arms for me tend to be the best. My guess as to why is that for me a female non construction worker that the area I insert the sensor into gets good circulation but not a lot of movement that jostles the sensor around. Ali

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I honestly don't think it matters. If meter/cgm are giving similar readings, then obviously it's ok! And how does it recognize if it's horizontal or vertical?

13. swellman

swellman Approved members

We found that using the arms was bad for us. I think it's because the arms are such a lean site that we were hitting muscle. The sensor wire was coming out in a zig-zag pattern - literally.

The migration to the abdomen made all the difference in the world for accuracy for us. Now that he's swimming though, if he gets any leaner in the abdomen I'm not sure what we will do.