- advertisement -

Dexcom sensor failure

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by kiwikid, Feb 8, 2009.

1. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have been using our loan Dexcom since Jan 17. We haven't got 7 days out of a sensor yet. The first one failed after 2 days of accurate numbers. The 2nd we had to remove because the receiver died. This sensor has lasted 4.5 days and is now in the shutdown phase. It was very accurate during the day but not so good (said good BG's which didn't match with higher meter BG's)at night. Now half way through the night the screen has started greying out.:(
    Should we try restarting this sensor? What causes this?
    Any other options?

2. mattsmum

mattsmum Approved members

Hi Jane
    Restarting the sensor is fine . We are using the dexcom and some sensors are definatly alot of work . The last sensor died 3 times in 4 days before it finally decided to work then we got 7 days out of it and the currant sensor has been really accurate and we just restarted it for a secong week . We love having it it's just a shame it costs so much.
    Lisa

3. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Jane,
    sometimes the sensors just loose themselves. I know here it happens at bedtime unless i put it under my pillow. If it continually gets ??? for over 20 minutes the sensor shuts down.
    Wendy

4. ErikB

ErikB Approved members

Jane,

I don't know if this applies to you, but if you are purchasing the sensors (probably if insurance is paying also) and any one of the actually shuts down before the seven days, you should contact Dexcom. They will replace free every one that does not go a full seven days. Sometimes we restart them and have success, sometimes we restart without any success, and if it's really bad we don't even try. We've been using it since November and have had about three replaced.

Be sure to keep the plastic bag with the serial number on it and write the date and time of day you insert the sensor as proof of how long it's been in.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

So ??? for 20 mins is a shutdown, but Y for more than 20 mins is okay? :confused:
    We pulled it this morning because Rachel bumped it and said it hurt. We're not getting good value for money here - especially if insurance don't pay for the one we drowned :(

I'm trying to convince Rachel to try butt instead of arm but shes not keen.

I did PM you a while back Lisa - did you get it? :cwds: The MM seems much better value at $330 for 4 sensors IF you can get more days out of them than 3 AND if we didn't have to buy the receiver/transmitter first. Justins loan scheme works well for that.

6. Wendy12571

Jane,
    No it does not matter. i have had one be on Y for most of the day. I left it in my room.
    Wendy

7. mattsmum

mattsmum Approved members

Jane have sent you a pm
    Lisa

8. cwdAdmin

cwdAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Sensor Questions

Sharing experiences can be so helpful when working through product questions.

Just a gentle reminder to also consider contacting the manufacturer if you have product questions. And to note the manufacturer's suggested usage and expiration dates.

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

and another one bites the dust at only 36 hours. The Dex rep here is stumped, he thinks maybe I'm not calibrating within the 12 hrs. I am, the downloads tell me so. We had low alarm at 2.30 am this morning, which I silenced and treated, and at 3.19 the sensor died :confused:
    For $600 I have no info whatsoever :(
    Nothing is out of date or expired, and this was a butt site not arm. GRRRRRR...

10. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I just wanted to add my support, Jane. How frustrating!! I hope Dexcom will replace the sensors that died prematurely. Good luck!!!!

11. Wendy12571

Jane,
    I am assuming it is getting the 20 minutes of no readings and shutting down. You can just restart them. I WOULD never pull a sensor till that happens like 4 times.
    Wendy

12. Wendy12571

I would also call them and get them to replace the sensors.