- advertisement -

Dexcom sensor delivery left out in the cold

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Catiesmom, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

The sensors were delivered late yesterday and we didn't see them out there until this morning. It went down into the 20's last night, no snow or wet stuff. Think they will still work, should I try one to see? Has this happened to anyone else? The box says 36 to 77 degrees, I know in the summer they work in temps in the 90's.

Catie, now 13, dx at 8
    dx 6/19/09, Animas Ping 9/28/10, Dexcom 10/14/11, Omnipod 6/11/12

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

When in doubt, call. I'd call Dexcom, and let them know and see what they say. Did the shipment come directly from them?

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I recently learned that you can ask to have the shipment held for pick-up at a local FedEx office rather than left at your door. I did because of the temperature issue and not knowing when they'd arrive or when I'd be home. Even small things like this can relieve so much stress in managing this disease.

I hope your sensors work! At least Dexcom is terrific about replacing ones that don't.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  4. Catiesmom

These came from a supplier - Diabetes Management Supplies in New Orleans where it never gets cold. Dexcom had 8 customers ahead of me so I left a call back number.

5. Catiesmom

Dexcom called back and said the temps on the box are for long term storage. For shipping it can handle more extreme temps and that the 20's were ok. If we have any issue with performance we can call back.

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

I would have guessed that cold was way better than hot. Since there's an enzyme in there the cold probably has very little effect. Hot, on the other hand ...

7. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Thanks for posting their response.
    We had a similar experience; it was one sensor (a replacement one) that was FedEx'd and left on the porch for about four hours during the 'polar vortex' (I hate that term, lol). I made a note to myself on the package that this is one left out in the cold if I saw signs of it acting strangely. I haven't used it yet, but I feel better using it now after reading your response.

8. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

When I ordered my dexcom system today they said it had to be signed for due to the fact it can't be left out in the cold. I live in canada though and it's quite often minus degree weather so may just be a protocol they have.