- advertisement -

Dexcom sensor comes off

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

OK so my son has had the dexcom sensor come off twice now when he was bumped while playing basketball. He has made up his mind not to wear it again until basketball is over. I tried to keep the discussion open by suggesting that he wear it on his stomach instead of his arm but unfortunately he already had it on his stomach. Next I suggested that he wrap it. He said that if it comes off under his shirt that wrapping it won't help.

Anyone have any good ideas for keeping it on during basketball?

2. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

My daughter is much younger but plays hard, and I mean hard. We tape all around the adhesive with Tegaderm, and it has never come off. This includes sliding around on her stomach (which is where she wears it).

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Two words:

Opsite Flexifix

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Both of those suggestions are good ones for the adhesive but I recommend vet wrap (they have a generic at target in lots of fun colors) to smooth out the profile and secure it if it gets bumped.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

What about a picc cover? It's a fabric cover that slides over a pic line.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

8. rgcainmd

In addition to the picc covers, you should check out:

http://bands4life.net

They are the same price as the sleeksleeves, plus there are stomach and thigh bands available. My daughter used an arm band during the summer when she was swimming often, and we never had a Pod or sensor come off.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thanks everyone. So Mom got him to agree to put it in this weekend. I should be able to get him to cover it with tegaderm on Monday and maybe even wrap it in vet wrap. I can't imagine it getting bumped off with all that. I completely forgot we had the tegaderm in the house cause my daughter got a rash when she tried it.

10. CJA

CJA New Member

We were starting to have problems with the sites coming off. We moved into a house with very high iron content well. We tried Tegaderm and something called Skin Tac. We had really good luck with the Skin Tac product. Be very conservative though, limit how much you touch and surface area you put it on. It is very sticky. Now we are not having any problems with sites coming loose or off, with our water or with swimming.

11. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

For those using Opsite Flexifix -- I see a roll of it on Amazon. Do cover the transmitter or just tape down the Dexcom adhesive? Is it difficult to remove?

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We cut a hole the size of the transmitter in the tape then put it over the adhesive. We haven't found it difficult to remove.

13. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I cut four strips and just tape down the adhesive. It isn't that difficult to remove.

14. rgcainmd

15. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

We use a roll of Hypafix for keeping both omnipod and dexcom. The key is to just tape down the edges, and not go over the unit itself.

Now that I think of it, ever since OmniPod went to the smaller pods, they rarely fall off, and we don't bother taping those down anymore. The Dex, since it will go 2+ weeks, usually starts to fray by the second week.