- advertisement -

Dexcom Receiver and Standardized Tests

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by megr, Aug 27, 2016.

1. megr

megr New Member

New to the forum. My son is about 1 year post-diagnosis and this is our first school year starting off with T1D. We are writing his 504 plan now. He's in 4th grade and has to take state standardized tests. He took them last year too and I requested the school let him have his Dexcom receiver (not his iPhone that he normally carries) and they denied the request, saying no devices were allowed. I'm certain a medical device with no Internet capabilities should legally be allowed, but can't seem to find documentation to support this so I can write it into his 504 plan from the beginning. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Have you had experience with this?

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

There are a lot of standardized tests and they vary from state to state. What state are you in?

Some tests are optional, to put a little more pressure on the school to be reasonable tell them that you will opt out of any test you can if he is not allowed his dex.

Can the teacher hold his dex for him and let him know if is number goes high or low?

Can he be without his dex for a period?

It does not need to be a law for it to be in the 504. Just ask for it in the meeting.

I am sure there are laws or policies that relate to your situation, I just don't know what they are. Good luck.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Excellent advice! This is what I did.

If the school remains adversarial (which was the case with my daughter's school when a new nurse and principal came on board), then contact the ADA's Legal Advocacy Team. They'll advise you on what to do next.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't think they can legally deny him use of Dex. Put the ball in their court - ask them to provide you, in writing, their authority for denying this accommodation. Bet they can't.