- advertisement -

Dexcom really OFF...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Did a new sensor last night. Overnight the numbers were extremely off... she was 256 (midnight) on time when it read "high." And then 158 (2:00AM) when it read "378." Hubby checked her again and she was 98 (4:00 AM, not sure what Dex said) but he turned her basal way down and when I got up and checked her at 7:00 she was 157 but Dex was reading "high" again.

Thoughts? What is the best thing to do in this situation? I did not correct it for fear of a sensor error. The 12 hour enter BG will fall while she's in school and she doesn't wear it to school. We only use it for nighttime at the moment...

Thanks!

2. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I can only recall that happening once or twice ever, but what I did is shut it down, and restart it. Since she isn't using it at school, that is what I would suggest. Start it again when she gets home and do your two hour wait.

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

The first 24 hrs of a new sensor are usually inaccurate for us. We always try to start our sensors during the day, preferably in the early morning hours. Sensors started late in the evening, when she goes to bed within just a few hours of starting, tend to be much more inaccurate overall for us.

4. Belinda

Belinda Approved members

I would have that problem, but then I started using an alcohol wipe on the transmitter before attaching to sensor and I also stopped using IV Prep. Now whacky numbers happen very rarely. Usually when Hannah is out of range for too long.

5. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

Yup, that just happened to us last night. Dex says over 300 and BG reading is around 186. I try not to trust the sensor if it starts out like that untill the next day and then it seems fine. A restart is a good idea for tonight!!

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I would correct it. If it says sensor error, then you're not getting bad data, and you can still enter another fingerstick and get better data most of the time. Or if the sensor error persists, it's time to change the sensor.

7. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Thanks everyone! Hopefully a restart will do the trick!

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Our first night after we inserted one last night gave us up and down values. I calibrated a couple times in the middle of the night. It seems to be working okay this morning.

Sometimes it takes a number of good calibrations over the first day to get it worked out. On some but not all sensors.